Qucik question regarding taking magical dmg from another player

Dupster

Apprentice
Hi all,

If I wanted to take the least amount of direct damage from say explosion ebolt cycles what would be the best setup?

If I'm reading the wikis correct magical resist does zero reduction against such spells but reduces durations of stuns and so on.

Is literally the only potential damage reduction done by having 100 eval int or is there other factors I should be considering here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ariakan99

Grandmaster
Magic Resist. This gives you a chance at reduced spell damaged. I believe it compares your resist vs the attackers magery, and eval is taken into account for damage.

Get a GM mage to cast explo on you 20 times and you will see when you resist - should also get a message on screen too. Then go let a high level mob cast on you (something with >GM magery/eval) and you will find you resist less and take more damage.

Dupster

Apprentice
Hmmm ok, I would like to do a bit more experimenting but I only have one GM mage who is sending me broke haha. I'll have to do a couple more days of prov to make some more gold first.

Dupster

Apprentice
Thanks all for the replies had a good day, got some lucky skill scrolls and am well on the way to raising resist.

Trojandrew

Grandmaster
resist magic skill reduces direct damage, it also has a chance to completely resist paralyze and poison. you can also cast magic reflect for up to 8 circles of protection (es counts as 6, so you get hit with that you have 2 left)and if you have gm inscription you can get up to 15 lvls of magic protection.

halygon

Grandmaster
Some good answers here already. Great community adding in here.

Hi all,

If I wanted to take the least amount of direct damage from say explosion ebolt cycles what would be the best setup?

If I'm reading the wikis correct magical resist does zero reduction against such spells but reduces durations of stuns and so on.

Is literally the only potential damage reduction done by having 100 eval int or is there other factors I should be considering here?

For most magery spells (main exception here is Area of Effect (AoE) spells), the skill Resisting spells will play a part in the outcome of a spell hitting you. There are two parts that Resist plays.

1. Actually Resisting a Spell - There is a small chance that you can actually resist a spell. For direct damage spells, this will half the damage received. For non-direct damage spells (like Poisoning), you can resist the effect completely.
  2. Damage reduction - When a spell is cast, the evaluating intelligence is compared to the target's resisting spell to determine how much of a bonus (above base damage) that a magery spell gets. The more eval someone has and the less resist, the higher the damage bonus that spell will get... ie.. target takes more damage.

Trojandrew

Grandmaster
na thats just humanoids, on the wiki it says exactly what humanoids it effects. or else you would see all pvp players buying repond armor all the time

Tearloch

Grandmaster
na thats just humanoids, on the wiki it says exactly what humanoids it deals damage to. or else you would see all pvp players buying repond armor all the time
I was never sure if that worked PVP. Always assumed it did since Repond is the most popular slayer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trojandrew

Grandmaster
reponds the most popular b/c killing ettins, trolls and ogres is fast kill money for low skill, that and they have 2 MotM under repond, and titans have a high chance to drop skill scrolls. so just a lot of perks go with it

repond vanq exeptional halberds would 1 shot in pvp if that was the case lol

Tearloch

Grandmaster
reponds the most popular b/c killing ettins, trolls and ogres is fast kill money for low skill, that and they have 2 MotM under repond, and titans have a high chance to drop skill scrolls. so just a lot of perks go with it

repond vanq exeptional halberds would 1 shot in pvp if that was the case lol
Titans use Fey slayers. Pretty sure those others do too but would have to check

Tearloch

Grandmaster
Titans use Fey slayers. Pretty sure those others do too but would have to check

Holy Shit! I'm an idiot. I am wrong. Not sure where I came up with that. I have seriously used a fey slayer farming Titans before. WOW!!!

And Fey slayers are basically worthless I guess...

Trojandrew

Grandmaster
haha, but na fey slayers arent worthless, great against lord oaks champ, and when you are farming specified monsters.