Remove stat loss from reds. No really

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
There are people playing here who can vouch for me, but they will just be accused of being an 'alt' of mine. And their accomplishments don't need to be stepped on, by some dude who "doesn't remember them". I remember them, and they were kickass! It don't matter though, many of us played OSI in some capacity and even those who didn't still deserve a listen if their idea is solid and not based in fear.

I just want to see pvp and UO thrive, and I feel the current trend is stifling it. Massive ganks to counter massive ganks is not a solution, it's the death of a shard IMO. The heart and soul of a healthy server is small scale skirmishes of reds vs blues. Factions are for the guys who have to have non-stop pvp 24/7 like its a drug. There is a lot of that mindset here and they're already in factions, so this won't change much for them. At least that's how I've always viewed it. Reds were a different breed IMO. A lot of reds had unique templates that would suffer horribly in factions, but they work for the solo hunter.

relax honey, you're verified.

Someone who is possibly the coldest murder I've met remembers you, and so now you are officially allowed to talk like you know a thing about a thing.

However in this case I am going to have to plead with you to get to understand UO:F a bit more before trying to define ''UO'' or ''being red''... it does not sound like you've spent enough time here.

You're def not the first returning player to have strong feelings about UO, and still defining it based around the golden age.

Since then, as I'm aware you probably know, some things have changed. Now there's sophisticated voice chat programs mixed with the fact that several newer games have been released over the last decade that also support group pvp.

Take a look at the numbers, UO:F is slaying the charts and has been steadily for over two years now. No other freeshard in the last 8+ years can make that claim.

you have much to learn

Maybe you are right. We only had ICQ back then. No instant response to anything. We didn't have all these programs either, and UOAssist was in it's infancy. Perhaps it is a different game, and I have rose colored glasses on. I'm a dreamer but I'm not alone.

I fully understand the sentiment of "player problems player solutions" I played Darkfall and it wrapped my head around that firmly. Though I also know that game mechanics funnel players in certain directions. Like when they moved archery swing to back of animation, archer mages died, or at least the heavy X bow precasting type.

I'm curious as to who remembered me. Even if it was an enemy, hehe, that stuff is ancient history.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
he's actually in the first min of that guild join video, Dread Lord Pole. That's his chars name on this server. The video is from over a year ago, not sure who made it

anyways im not sure his GL name as im from sonoma, i'll find out and pm ya

Fattson

Grandmaster
Maybe you are right. We only had ICQ back then. No instant response to anything. We didn't have all these programs either, and UOAssist was in it's infancy. Perhaps it is a different game, and I have rose colored glasses on. I'm a dreamer but I'm not alone.

I fully understand the sentiment of "player problems player solutions" I played Darkfall and it wrapped my head around that firmly. Though I also know that game mechanics funnel players in certain directions. Like when they moved archery swing to back of animation, archer mages died, or at least the heavy X bow precasting type.

I'm curious as to who remembered me. Even if it was an enemy, hehe, that stuff is ancient history.
I like killin. If you're interested in a small guild of mostly tamers and crafters lemme know. I run two reds, both dexxers, and I'm ok, not great. I usually pk solo but wouldn't mind a team mate or two to kill with me. We also have a small faction unit that's a collab with another guild. PM if you're interested.

It's a possibility Fattson. My friend and I are going to keep our guild, but we may join your alliance. I'll let you know sometime in the future.

Fattson

Grandmaster
It's a possibility Fattson. My friend and I are going to keep our guild, but we may join your alliance. I'll let you know sometime in the future.
Apologies, sir, but we are no longer allied. I can put you in touch with that alliance if you would like, but if you're true to what you wrote here, I don't think you would find it to your liking.

Grizard

Adept
What if we when someone gets killed by a red they can put a bounty on you. For every 10,000 gold it is 1 hour worth of time you sit out. Your title above your head as a red is your bounty $ amount. I think if you see someone with 300,000 bounty on their head they would be tracked down by a bunch of people.

Monster or self kills don't reset the bounty or timers.

Rafelito

Journeyman
What if we when someone gets killed by a red they can put a bounty on you. For every 10,000 gold it is 1 hour worth of time you sit out. Your title above your head as a red is your bounty $ amount. I think if you see someone with 300,000 bounty on their head they would be tracked down by a bunch of people.

Monster or self kills don't reset the bounty or timers.
Good idea. Murders might even turn on each other for this! But let's make it 1K per minute. 10k for an hour is kinda cheap

andomin

Master
In UO there is a player driven solution to everything.

Actually there isn't a player solution to this problem. Ganking belongs in faction PvP and group combat. If I see one red coming at me, even on my tamer, I fight. Sometimes even two. But when I'm constantly getting ganked by 4-5 ebolt mages or stealthed archers, it gets a little annoying.

This problem didn't exist back on OSI because you only had AIM or ICQ to message each other. Everything was done on the fly, a group of 6 individually skilled players would stomp anyone else. But now you can get on skype and steamroll good players as long as you have large enough of a group willing to ebolt in unison. That's not skill, I can get 6 toddlers to follow me and press 1 when I tell them to.

Remove the no-cut zone, replace it by removing stat loss from the area and giving a 50% chance to not lose faction points (but have your killer still gain them). This will encourage combat in the area - you'll see less reds but you'll see more faction fights.

andomin

Master
Also, you can't do a bounty system. People will just whisper their friend and have their friend kill their character.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Actually there isn't a player solution to this problem. Ganking belongs in faction PvP and group combat. If I see one red coming at me, even on my tamer, I fight. Sometimes even two. But when I'm constantly getting ganked by 4-5 ebolt mages or stealthed archers, it gets a little annoying.

This problem didn't exist back on OSI because you only had AIM or ICQ to message each other. Everything was done on the fly, a group of 6 individually skilled players would stomp anyone else. But now you can get on skype and steamroll good players as long as you have large enough of a group willing to ebolt in unison. That's not skill, I can get 6 toddlers to follow me and press 1 when I tell them to.

Remove the no-cut zone, replace it by removing stat loss from the area and giving a 50% chance to not lose faction points (but have your killer still gain them). This will encourage combat in the area - you'll see less reds but you'll see more faction fights.

Sorry your PvE character got killed by 5 PVPers.... maybe you should use your leadership skills and get those toddlers to kill the PKs?

Last edited by a moderator:

LOL i guess you never heard of Roger Wilco

andomin

Master
It's clear that you can't contribute to the conversation, so why not just leave it?

By all means, continue to fight change all you want. But some of us realize that attempts to balance the PK system have resulted in unintended consequences that negatively effect the health of the server. So the best we can do is offer up advice to fix our current system, so that the server is healthier and more balanced.

I understand that changing the way the murder and faction system works will effect EQMS and their zerging strategy, but if you open yourself up to this change and participate in the conversation; other people may listen to your concerns and advice instead of dismissing you for the idiots you are.

Last edited by a moderator:

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
I will say on OSI i rolled with 4 real life friends and we used conference call as our voice comms and absolutely raped people

andomin

Master
I'm glad you've been zerging since OSI. Most of us back then were kicked off the internet whenever a call came through on the landline.

hubcap

Grandmaster

GREAT post! But the gankers and lamers will cry "shut up trammie" when you call them on their shit.

There wouldnt even be any discussions about clipping the reds wings IF they knew how to play with honor......
BUT we all know thats a LOST art these days.

Too easy to 10v2 and mana dump and pound your chest because you beat a char that has no desire to PvP.

Yay....real heroes. Way to expand the player base......

Y'all just dont get it and hide behind the "toughen up trammie" rheotric.

Spare me the diatribe, children.
Im too old for it.

GREAT post! But the gankers and lamers will cry "shut up trammie" when you call them on their shit.

There wouldnt even be any discussions about clipping the reds wings IF they knew how to play with honor......
BUT we all know thats a LOST art these days.

Too easy to 10v2 and mana dump and pound your chest because you beat a char that has no desire to PvP.

Yay....real heroes. Way to expand the player base......

Y'all just dont get it and hide behind the "toughen up trammie" rheotric.

Spare me the diatribe, children.
Im too old for it.
Don't play in Fel then sir, always has been and always will be a dangerous place

Status
Not open for further replies.