Removing recall

Don Key

Master
Why would it be different for one vs all dungeons? You could still recall to overland spawns and places like the fire temple if you want to "solo bard" as you put it. I mean, how fun is it really to just recall to a known spawn, provoke the immediate area, and recall to the next spawn?

Dungeons were supposed to be an adventure. Especially when you look at the time they put into creating a nice even spawn layout in all of the dungeons that nobody is going to see because they can recall in to lvl5 and recall out.

Chesty Puller

Grandmaster
Extreeeeeemmmly mega dumb
Why would it be different for one vs all dungeons? You could still recall to overland spawns and places like the fire temple if you want to "solo bard" as you put it. I mean, how fun is it really to just recall to a known spawn, provoke the immediate area, and recall to the next spawn?

Dungeons were supposed to be an adventure. Especially when you look at the time they put into creating a nice even spawn layout in all of the dungeons that nobody is going to see because they can recall in to lvl5 and recall out.

It's hella fun. This will just stretch the wealth gap between veteran and newer uof players, I like being able to get in and get out 5k at a time. And i'm still picked off by PKs. I thought "different" was the whole point of this thread? No one is stopping you from playing dungeons how you see fit, why change the way other players enjoy it?

Don Key

Master
To each their own.

Maybe when T2A is implemented they won't allow recall/gate in. That way it doesn't disrupt anyone's current playstyle.

Kael

Master

I think there is danger in all dungeons to a certain degree. Known farming hotspots are camped by pk's. You want to farm there you also assume the risk. I guess my thought would be that it would be cool to have a dungeon option (instead of just spawns) that a group of guildmates could hit that provided great loot and great risk of fights. Hell, I would like it if you couldn't even gate or recall into the area in front of dungeon and needed to access it by traveling overland (like old T2A spawn locations)

halygon

Grandmaster
To each their own.

Maybe when T2A is implemented they won't allow recall/gate in. That way it doesn't disrupt anyone's current playstyle.
That's how T2A was when it was originally released on OSI. I literally hated running through that horrible map that half the road is covered with the hills on the side and is nearly impossible to navigate.

Don't get me wrong T2A is a great place to PvM or PvP, especially for tamers who cannot have their pets housed. It is just a nightmare to have to run from Paupa to Titans or any of the other numerous entrances into T2A.

We are a shard full of folks with little time to consistently play long hours over and over. Sure we may have time one saturday, but not the rest of the week. Limiting where we can recall for all Dungeons (or T2A when/if it comes out) just widens the gap between what part time players can do and what they can't do.

I personally don't have time to even do a Champ spawn, but I have time to run around and PvP or farm some mobs for an hour or so.

This isn't the world of a billion teenagers with all day to spare to play UO. We need to keep this in mind.

Don Key

Master
"We are a shard full of folks with little time to consistently play long hours over and over. Sure we may have time one saturday, but not the rest of the week. Limiting where we can recall for all Dungeons (or T2A when/if it comes out) just widens the gap between what part time players can do and what they can't do. "

I disagree. I mean I agree that a lot of us don't have that kind of time anymore (obviously) but removing recall doesn't mean long hours of running around the map.

The people against removing recall seem to think that you would spend soo much time running around when it simply isn't true.

1. Gate travel is a spell.
2. It really doesn't take that long to run from the bottom of a dungeon to the entrance. There could also be one-way teleporters near the end of dungeons if it is really that big of a deal for people.

Recall removes player interaction (good and bad) and I think the server would be better off without recall altogether. But I'm proposing a compromise to have it disabled just inside of dungeons.

Chesty Puller

Grandmaster
"We are a shard full of folks with little time to consistently play long hours over and over. Sure we may have time one saturday, but not the rest of the week. Limiting where we can recall for all Dungeons (or T2A when/if it comes out) just widens the gap between what part time players can do and what they can't do. "

I disagree. I mean I agree that a lot of us don't have that kind of time anymore (obviously) but removing recall doesn't mean long hours of running around the map.

The people against removing recall seem to think that you would spend soo much time running around when it simply isn't true.

1. Gate travel is a spell.
2. It really doesn't take that long to run from the bottom of a dungeon to the entrance. There could also be one-way teleporters near the end of dungeons if it is really that big of a deal for people.

Recall removes player interaction (good and bad) and I think the server would be better off without recall altogether. But I'm proposing a compromise to have it disabled just inside of dungeons.

you're basically giving PK's the jump on everyone, that;s all you're proposing. And i'm not anti PK by any means, but from my short time so far on this server there is no shortage of PKs. Limiting a players ability to farm in dungeons by making them go through a gauntlet of reds doesn't help anyone but reds. At least now they have to search a bit for you, what you're proposing would allow them to just sit and wait at the entrance. I could maybe understand if you were offering a "no mark rune" option for inside of dungeons(wouldn't agree) but not allowing recall out.. is just silly. Just my noob opinion though. BTW i have yet to really find anything to complain about on this server and am enjoying every minute of play time i get. (my spells seem to interrupt more than i remember but.. that was 10+ years ago) But really.. what i don't understand is.. if you want to play dungeons from the beginning, whats stopping you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bromista

Grandmaster
The idea of a no recall/foot only dungeon was already tried, it just wasn't made convenient enough for people to actually engage in...which if an existing dungeon were "converted" you would almost certainly see more of the same. The loot would have to be mega fat. And if the loot is mega fat, then you'll have one group or two groups controlling it. Not a good business model.

Besides, we have RDAs which are basically everything the OP is asking for.

That, and if LHR endorses it it's probably bad for business. That guy...man he has worse ideas than Strandedness so I don't think I could ever get on that bandwagon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Key

Master
If reds are sitting at the entrance just waiting, then anti-pk groups will know exactly where to find them... As it is right now, they can recall freely from spot to spot looking for the solo farmer. Not much risk with stat loss there. If reds had to start from the entrance, the anti-pks would be able to cut them off instead of how it is now, where the reds come in, kill everything and recall away safely.

When you're used to the status quo, this change sounds bad. But if you've ever played UO with this ruleset, you would see it actually does make things more interesting. There would still be places in the world where you could recall into and out of like fire temple, lvl3 covetus, etc. or you could do treasure map spawns to avoid the pks. And if you were really too scared to go deep into a dungeon, then you could farm at the entrance so you could run out real quick and recall with your loot.

FWIW, I play dungeons from the beginning. All of my runes are to the entrances and that won't change for me.

Bromista

Grandmaster
O.K. well, I appreciate that you like things old school. Furthermore I appreciate that you "handicap" yourself so to speak, taking matters into your own hands. In a sense I do that too...I don't treehack or alter my graphical files in any way because I like things old school.

But we are too far gone for these ideals of no recall into dungeons to be introduced, shoehorned rather, into a ruleset that has been ingrained into this server.

Your best hope for this old school style is for staff to do as the have done, introduce it in small doses. RDAs, MOTM, champs, grotto dungeon, Khaldun, etc.

"Vanilla" dungeons will always and forever remain the same and rightfully so.

Don Key

Master
Well the good part of this, is the loot in the vanilla dungeons doesn't compare with places like Khaldun. Disabling recall there might be a headache because you have to wait so long for the entrance to open up. But if the back door was opened into T2A, maybe disabling recall in Khaldun would be a great idea. I mean, is IS supposed to be a pvp dungeon anyway.. and I don't think recall is a pvp spell.

At least the spider cave can't be recalled into or out of.

Chesty Puller

Grandmaster
Well the good part of this, is the loot in the vanilla dungeons doesn't compare with places like Khaldun. Disabling recall there might be a headache because you have to wait so long for the entrance to open up. But if the back door was opened into T2A, maybe disabling recall in Khaldun would be a great idea. I mean, is IS supposed to be a pvp dungeon anyway.. and I don't think recall is a pvp spell.

At least the spider cave can't be recalled into or out of.

Recall is not a pvp spell? psshhhh speak for yourself, every G knows there is a time a place to peace the f*ck out.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Ah yeah forgot about spider cave as well. That makes like five places (without counting champs) that are no recall and they all seem to have pretty decent loot...some better than others of course.

Oh and regarding T2A, don't get your hopes up too much because staff said it was going to be used for events only which I really like. It makes that arena special and memorable. The zombie events were so much fucking fun, I had a blast and will remember those vividly.

Being in T2A DID remind me of how fucking awful that place is to navigate though. I think that added to the appeal in some sick and twisted way...lol. Nice place to visit but I sure wouldn't wanna live there!

Dig'em

Grandmaster
This would be really cool for a single, super dungeon. Would certainly be a spot to go with guildies if you were looking for a fight

A new dungeon? You can't recall into? Sounds familiar......

Cough cough Khaldun cough cough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don Key

Master
Wtf is an ice3.

And cough cough you can recall out of Khaldun cough cough. Apparently because Kal Ort Por is a pvp spell.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Ehh right so Khaldun is halfway the way you'd like it.

Ice 3 is the new level of Ice dungeon. It's small, but you can't recall into or out of it. Phat lewt, but Ice 3 will eat your face. Tought spot to farm solo.

Dig'em

Grandmaster
No one would farm Khaldun if you couldn't recall out lol the boss is at the end of that monstrosity. Who wants to work back out of that giant place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk