Retired Ultima Player here and some observations.

Tragic/Hawt

Neophyte
I dont play uo anymore at all really about a year ago i quit ultima all together. I saved my houses/Items on every shard i played, but ended up losing all houses and most items when i was working.

Every shard i have played seems like they all had very good ideas and some unique ones. I don't claim or play any exclusively. I have played here recently while i was doing a favor for a buddy. I am soon to be working 16 hour shits 6 day weeks again so i wont have anytime to myself to even log onto skype let alone play uo.

I liked some things on this shard, but wondered about some things i saw/encountered. Even though i wont have any free time very soon i was just wondering about these few random questions.

1. Why can you not open a runebook right after using it?
I always liked to have it open/pre loaded as soon as i used it (especially if im gathering resources) i could open it while waiting for my guy to cast spell and recall and select the next location before he was finished.

2. Why cant you equip a rune book?
I used to use the hotkey that would object in hand to open my MAIN rune book or the book i was farming with, use wands, or weps to skin pets. It was really convenient

3. Why can you open runebooks that you can not use? - **((Make the distance to open and use it the same)**
i cant tell you how many times i opened a runebook and the gump disappeared only to never cast, and yes i know you have to be right next to it? my question is why even let a toon open a runebook if he cant use it? - i dont remember this on any shard i played on (may be wrong its been a long time)

4.Why can you not feed lava lizards?
I tried to feed one it would not let me, so i used animal lore and it said prefered food - None......

5.Serphants appear while Lumberjacking?
Saw this happening to a guy in the woods... IDK if staff was messing with him or what, but i bet that would get annoying.

6. Sheeps instantly die randomly from poison?
wtf is that about?

Im sure i had more but yeah i was just wondering if all these were intentional or what?

thestand

Grandmaster
#1 is kinda annoying having to wait for it to recharge. Not sure why it's like that.
#5 is probably to deter afk resource gathering

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Young Star

Grandmaster
The serpents have a few logs of special wood on them. It surprised me the first time but after killing it I got blood wood from its corpse.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
5. Put in when special woods added. Intentional.
6. To avoid trapping sheep in ones house. Bring a sheep home and it will get poisoned and die. Also intentional.

1-4. Would be nice just not high priority items.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
I dont play uo anymore at all really about a year ago i quit ultima all together. I saved my houses/Items on every shard i played, but ended up losing all houses and most items when i was working.

Every shard i have played seems like they all had very good ideas and some unique ones. I don't claim or play any exclusively. I have played here recently while i was doing a favor for a buddy. I am soon to be working 16 hour shits 6 day weeks again so i wont have anytime to myself to even log onto skype let alone play uo.

I liked some things on this shard, but wondered about some things i saw/encountered. Even though i wont have any free time very soon i was just wondering about these few random questions.

1. Why can you not open a runebook right after using it?
I always liked to have it open/pre loaded as soon as i used it (especially if im gathering resources) i could open it while waiting for my guy to cast spell and recall and select the next location before he was finished.

2. Why cant you equip a rune book?
I used to use the hotkey that would object in hand to open my MAIN rune book or the book i was farming with, use wands, or weps to skin pets. It was really convenient

3. Why can you open runebooks that you can not use? - **((Make the distance to open and use it the same)**
i cant tell you how many times i opened a runebook and the gump disappeared only to never cast, and yes i know you have to be right next to it? my question is why even let a toon open a runebook if he cant use it? - i dont remember this on any shard i played on (may be wrong its been a long time)

4.Why can you not feed lava lizards?
I tried to feed one it would not let me, so i used animal lore and it said prefered food - None......

5.Serphants appear while Lumberjacking?
Saw this happening to a guy in the woods... IDK if staff was messing with him or what, but i bet that would get annoying.

6. Sheeps instantly die randomly from poison?
wtf is that about?

Im sure i had more but yeah i was just wondering if all these were intentional or what?

Really weird things you've found, most of which have never ever really been brought up:

1: This has been in since OSI days, it is a default for runuo, we never changed it. IT is annoying ,and we probably could change it as it wouldn't effect a thing really.

2: Again, just something we never enabled, we can easily do this if people wanted it enough, no one ever really brought it up.

3: Just a simple mechanic thing again that doesn't hurt anyone really. Simple change, once again no one really brought it up. You need to be right beside them to use them though, this makes it so people can't use books on other players roofs that are locked away, or if you telekinesis a chest and a player has a hidden books of spawns in there.

4: Interesting find, This will be fixed next reboot, i'm shocked no ones brought this up in almost 3 years.

5: As for LJing as you get higher in skill you can harvest newer woods, which spawns mobs.

6: This is so you can't horde sheep for their wool.

Really good finds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tantreghan

Grandmaster
number 5 never used to bring about a serpant but now they appear. silver serpent every time for me. kind of annoying because my crafter has NO fighting ability so i have to run away so i have to log on anohter char to kill it or have another char logged on to help me, or run around till its far enough away i dont have to deal with it,

DalMichaelLas

Grandmaster
5: As for LJing as you get higher in skill you can harvest newer woods, which spawns mobs.

I would like to see these be Reapers and hued the same as the logs "a bloodwood reaper, a frostwood reaper" each with their own statue and stronger the higher level wood.

Could also have these reapers spawning in certain locations that make sense. (frostwood on dagger isle, yew reapers in yew, bloodwood outside blood dungeon)

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to see these be Reapers and hued the same as the logs "a bloodwood reaper, a frostwood reaper" each with their own statue and stronger the higher level wood.

Could also have these reapers spawning in certain locations that make sense. (frostwood on dagger isle, yew reapers in yew, bloodwood outside blood dungeon)

Good idea

Young Star

Grandmaster

i just imagined that the snake fell from the tree while chopping. Stuff like that should get a system message to alert what is happening. like, "You chop at the tree and a strange creature emerges from the canopy."

Tragic/Hawt

Neophyte
sounds exhausting
ehh it is, but you get used to it! we average like 5-6 hours of sleep a night , and it is hard on most people because we are away from home over 2/3 of the year.
I think im home around 6-8 days a month at the max. Honestly Most of the time its less than that, but its not to bad for me because im single w/ no kids.

Lady Macbeth

Grandmaster
Never knew the reason for #6 until now. I thought it was weird cuz I have a sheep outside my house and see it suffered in pain everyday.

It's a bit like watching "edge of tomorrow"

amonseti

Grandmaster
Yeah I think that is a pretty broken mechanic. Mobs should have higher spell casting range IMO
its as broken as rock beating scissors, or scissors beating paper, or paper beating rock ...
one of the very very few perks of archerey . take that away and theres no fucking point

Arch Enemy

Grandmaster
ehh it is, but you get used to it! we average like 5-6 hours of sleep a night , and it is hard on most people because we are away from home over 2/3 of the year.
I think im home around 6-8 days a month at the max. Honestly Most of the time its less than that, but its not to bad for me because im single w/ no kids.

the joke <---

your head <---