Some basic questions about leveling the mage tali

MZ3K

Grandmaster
I made a heal mage PvM char: mage, med, eval, resist, anat, heal, and spirit speak.

I got my tali yesterday, and went out to kill some ogres in the woods. I seemed to be getting ~10 xp per ogre slain (that number might not be right, but whatever it was, it was much less than the damage dealt). I moved over to demons and was able to get about 2000 xp in an hour. That seems lower than it should be.

• What's the ratio of xp to dmg dealt?
  • Do some mobs give more xp for each point of damage dealt to them?
  • How much xp an hour should I aim for?
  • From what I read on the wiki, it seems to me that I'll gain fastest if I buy shadowy first, focus second, dispersion third, and vivify last. Is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

parsnip

Grandmaster
  • What's the ratio of xp to dmg dealt?
  • Do some mobs give more xp for each point of damage dealt to them?
Not sure on the ratio. You will get more XP on mobs with higher HP. You will also gain faster (but not necessarily more) on mobs with high HP and low resist just because your spells will be doing more damage. Ogre Lords are great for mages as they don't cast and therefore interrupt your barrage of e-bolts. You should get around 300+ XP per Ogre Lord. Make sure you aren't wearing any armour to maximise your gains. Slayer spellbooks will speed things up, especially at the lower levels.
  • How much xp an hour should I aim for?
I would avoid trying to maintain an XP per hour rate, you will end up getting burned out. Close the XP window and go hunt for 30-40 minutes at a time and just have some fun hunting. Focus on high HP monsters. Tag along with tamers when they take on high-end paragons. Get yourself along to champs, dungeon bosses, RDAs and arch demon for some nice quick XP gains. There is plenty of info on the PvM forums on recommended mobs.
  • From what I read on the wiki, it seems to me that I'll gain fastest if I buy shadowy first, focus second, dispersion third, and vivify last. Is that correct?
Shadowy is definitely the best first choice. Focus is debatable as second choice as the extra damage gained from focus doesn't seem to be factored into you XP gain, so you may actually end up losing a little bit of XP. I took dispersion as the second to have some fun at champs and will likely take vivify as the third, leaving focus as last one. It depends on how determined you are to optimally grind out your XP gains or if you just want to have some fun as you level.

kurtis

Grandmaster
I would avoid trying to maintain an XP per hour rate, you will end up getting burned out. Close the XP window and go hunt for 30-40 minutes at a time and just have some fun hunting.

This is sound advice and I can't stress this enough. Leveling a talisman is not quick and it's easy to get burned out. Have fun playing your character. I know it sounds cheesy but the journey is half the fun.

The meta mage talisman is awesome in that a mage can suddenly take on mobs that were tedious to drop before (especially with slayer books!). I find myself grabbing a slayer book and heading to the orc dungeon, or ophidians/terathans, or exploring other dungeons I probably wouldn't have ever touched on a mage. I think you'll find that if your mentality is "oh boy, what camp should I go see if I can take out next" as opposed to "hmm where can I grind levels" then you'll find the journey to be an exciting one. And isn't that what video games are all about? :D

Nakor

Expert
Noob question...what the hell is a mage talisman?

Edit- nevermind found the info

Last edited by a moderator: