SOS-Book

Olivier

Master
A book which can hold SOS's, similar to the T-Map book.

I don't care if it's blessed or not, however it would be nice if you didn't need to drop it from the book in order to fish it up.

It would be nice to be able to carry more than 125 SOS's.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
I believe this is something they're adding with the expansion.

High Seas Content:
- Implement smooth sailing for boats
- Add new boats, including large galleons.
- Implementation of an underwater "grotto" dungeon only accessible by boat.
- MIB Book

Enthalpic

Grandmaster
Ya, definitely been holding off on fishing up my MIBs(& fishing in general) since I am waiting for the MIB book to come out.

Moccy

Neophyte
Assuming this MIB book will follow the same trend as the T-Map book (i.e. being blessed), i feel it's worth raising the concern (again) that there's something just wrong with the idea that you can carry high-value consumable items around in your backpack at no risk. Whilst it's nice to have all your shit neatly organized, the fact it's blessed just seems wrong. That being said, i don't know what a fair alternative would be.

halygon

Grandmaster
Assuming this MIB book will follow the same trend as the T-Map book (i.e. being blessed), i feel it's worth raising the concern (again) that there's something just wrong with the idea that you can carry high-value consumable items around in your backpack at no risk. Whilst it's nice to have all your shit neatly organized, the fact it's blessed just seems wrong. That being said, i don't know what a fair alternative would be.

What about BoD books.., maybe they should not be blessed either? BoDs are worth more than tmaps or mibs.

Just saying that the addition of tmap and mib books are no big deal and do not cause anyone worry except for the thieves that stay up all night chewing on the fact that someone could be carrying tmaps and mibs that they couldn't steal.... I mean really.. must everything come back to the thieves?

Moccy

Neophyte
I could give a crap about thieves regarding this concern (and I play one almost exclusively) - make it too heavy to steal for all I care. Just the idea of there being no risk at all for high-value consumable items seems wrong to me.

@Dewderonomy - Can't tell if you're being a smarmy prick (more likely) or actually making a serious point (less likely), but given the benefit of the doubt, I actually think that dry-docked ships should be treated the same as a house, i.e. permanent ownership etc.

@halygon - Yes, i think that BOD books shouldn't be blessed either, but the deeds themselves are blessed anyway, so it's irrelevant whether the books are or not. T-Maps and MIBs are NOT blessed last time I checked, but these books essentially make them so. As i said, I have no idea what mechanism could possibly strike the balance of maintaining an organizational tool such as the book, with reasonable risk of carrying it around that wasn't a huge deterrent from ever using it.

But I'm open to persuasion, unlike half of the 'my opinion is infallible - also, fuck the rest of you' opinions that seem to get thrown out left and right on here - convince me that I'm wrong and explain why you think they should be blessed. My train of thought is currently "will we see blessed containers in future for organizing other consumable items like ore, wood, arrows, pots, regs etc?"

At what point can you stop saying this isn't a Trammel server? Slippery slope etc, blah blah.

Discuss. (preferably with reason and less dickish/rattle-out-the-pram language).

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
@Dewderonomy - Can't tell if you're being a smarmy prick (more likely) or actually making a serious point (less likely), but given the benefit of the doubt, I actually think that dry-docked ships should be treated the same as a house, i.e. permanent ownership etc.
lol whut? That's encouraging.

I was saying I didn't realize T Map Books were blessed; I thought they were there as a convenience, not a vault for maps. If that's the case with the MiB book, then it'll be easy to quickly just place such loot in a secure container along with the plain maps you get, and there won't be a whole lot of booty to take from the sea. Defeats the purpose for this whole expansion if there ain't no booty.

As far as BOD books, as you mentioned, BODs themselves are blessed, so who cares if the books are blessed?

My point with the boat models is that boat models have always been blessed; here the KEYS are blessed. Most people have lost their ships to thieves at banks not knowing this (it wasn't until late summer that they actually put a warning gump in to let people know ship models weren't blessed on UOF). To allow a book to safeguard your maps (which a handful easily equate to the largest ship without faction discounts) or even MiBs (see Olivier's post about how profitable Fishing is) while making boat models accessible by bank thieves and not pirates is silly.

I wouldn't mind house ownership-like rules for ships, but I still would like to see them able to take a prize. This is all irrelevant, though, as the upcoming expansion will have sinkable ships and methods of recovering said ships (which I believe will include a way for pirates to claim prizes like the bounty system here, but for boats) or abandoning them for salvagers to possibly take instead.