Speedhack

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcalve

Master
How has no one chimed in to say that speedhacking is impossible in RunUO? It's been impossible in RunUO since 2003. Ping and computer speed absolutely contribute to your max run speed in this game, but that's not speedhacking.

The RunUO server limits maximum run speed-- if you're unhappy with the maximum speed that people playing on newish computers with awesome connections can achieve, then the admins could totally tweak that maximum speed number.

Off the top of my head, I seem to recall the max speed being 100ms per step. That does not mean that if you ping 100ms, you have max speed because there are maaaaany more packets than just your movement requests going back and forth between you and the server. And most of those packets are significantly longer than the 32-byte ICMP PING packet that windows sends by default, so just running "ping login.uoforever.com" isn't 100% accurate. Anyway, though, pinging ~100 (even though 100 is pretty good) is radically different from pinging ~10-20.

Then why have several users been banned/jailed for it?

z0rak

Two possibilities:
1) Either the counselors (like everyone in this thread) didn't realize that it's impossible to speedhack and they jailed people who didn't deserve it
2) The RunUO server detected people TRYING to speedhack -- the speedhack doesn't work (the server correctly limits your speed), but RunUO still logs when it has to consistently/repeatedly throttle someone's speed.

jdcalve

Master
So you're saying the server owner and admin are idiots?

I have a hard time believing someone is hopping 5-6 tiles at a time on screen because of their connection/hardware as opposed to my 50ms ping (100Mb connection) and dedicated gaming PC.

What is the actual server IP address?

Want to do some connection testing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skoad

Journeyman
Im pretty sure he said the counselors... Also you can check the RunUO forums(I just did) and what he says is true. Speedhacking isnt possible these days and hasnt been for awhile. Ping/comp speed is the biggest thing. You ping 50+ and someone pings less than 20 and they have an amazing computer, your in trouble.

K A Z

Grandmaster
Two possibilities:
1) Either the counselors (like everyone in this thread) didn't realize that it's impossible to speedhack and they jailed people who didn't deserve it
2) The RunUO server detected people TRYING to speedhack -- the speedhack doesn't work (the server correctly limits your speed), but RunUO still logs when it has to consistently/repeatedly throttle someone's speed.

want me to jump all over brit in <10 seconds?

_mag

Neophyte
after extensive testing i have reached a conclusion. everyone who has ever killed me in uo is cheating

noobs705

Grandmaster
i can vouch last night there was a 0o0o000 char actually speed hacking there is alot of people that accuse people of speed hacking way to often but there is some very obvious speed hacking ive seen. Its hard to catch them basically you need to video tape them which is kind of hard after they just offscreened and are nowhere to be seen. Or if you pm at a time Carl or Shane are on they can track them down and watch this is my understanding.

eric_azria

Grandmaster
i can vouch last night there was a 0o0o000 char actually speed hacking there is alot of people that accuse people of speed hacking way to often but there is some very obvious speed hacking ive seen. Its hard to catch them basically you need to video tape them which is kind of hard after they just offscreened and are nowhere to be seen. Or if you pm at a time Carl or Shane are on they can track them down and watch this is my understanding.

Actually it's really easy. Download a free program called hypercam 2. Set a hotkey to record. When you see them start recording.

You're welcome.

eric_azria

Grandmaster
Im pretty sure he said the counselors... Also you can check the RunUO forums(I just did) and what he says is true. Speedhacking isnt possible these days and hasnt been for awhile. Ping/comp speed is the biggest thing. You ping 50+ and someone pings less than 20 and they have an amazing computer, your in trouble.

You can 100% speedhack on this server. Here's some proof:

You could NOT speedhack on UOG with the exception of monster walk from the old krioss client.

z0rak

You can 100% speedhack on this server. Here's some proof:

You could NOT speedhack on UOG with the exception of monster walk from the old krioss client.

I feel like this is just going to turn into a flame war, but whatever.

That first video is an excellent example of perceived speedhacking that isn't at all. Either your or his connection/computer just sucks (I suspect it's on your end because you can even see yourself speed up/slow down too as you get throttled while running). You were like 8 tiles away from him when you started the video and you were like 8 tiles away from him as he walked onto the gate. I see that it looked glitchy to you (because you have FrameSkipping enabled and your computer is probably overloaded by, oh, i don't know, the screen cap video program you're running), but you both covered just as many tiles in the same amount of time.

Yes, your computer/connection make it look like brief spurts of speedhacking, and yes hitting a diagonal away from someone who's running vertical/horizontal also looks faster, but that's how the game works.

It is technically impossible to speedhack in UO. If you think UOG has some secret method of stopping speedhacks, you're delusional. They have lots of proprietary code that'd be great to see mainlined, but speedhack prevention isn't part of it.

Blizz

Novice
zorak u are so... sooo wrong... you obviously never played OSI either, speed hacking was RAMPANT there. And yes, some people still toggle on here and get away with it.

Skoad

Journeyman
Im not trying to start a fight here but those videos show nothing. You do realize that people skipping around for you is your own fault right? You can easily see your own character skipping. Forcing larger screen size than 800x600 is going to cause issues for you. The last video I didnt see anything wrong.. the first two I saw people skip, but definitely didn thave to do with "speedhacking".

Most people who complain about speedhacking have no idea how it works.. that and no one in UO has ever been killed legit.

Gore

Adept

That first video is an excellent example of perceived speedhacking that isn't at all. Either your or his connection/computer just sucks (I suspect it's on your end because you can even see yourself speed up/slow down too as you get throttled while running). You were like 8 tiles away from him when you started the video and you were like 8 tiles away from him as he walked onto the gate. I see that it looked glitchy to you (because you have FrameSkipping enabled and your computer is probably overloaded by, oh, i don't know, the screen cap video program you're running), but you both covered just as many tiles in the same amount of time.

Yes, your computer/connection make it look like brief spurts of speedhacking, and yes hitting a diagonal away from someone who's running vertical/horizontal also looks faster, but that's how the game works.

It is technically impossible to speedhack in UO. If you think UOG has some secret method of stopping speedhacks, you're delusional. They have lots of proprietary code that'd be great to see mainlined, but speedhack prevention isn't part of it.

You're an idiot. People can speedhack here. It's very simple to catch also. Ping has nothing to do with speed either man...

eric_azria

Grandmaster

You should go download it. Talk to me afterwards.

Do you even know the program being discussed?

This is simply a case of someone who has some knowledge of how certain places work, but have no idea how this place works. You do realize in all 3 instances here the players actually admitted to speedhacking - right?

I mean, if they weren't speedhacking and got caught/banned(temporarily) what would make them admit to that?

Did they just have a program that you can hypothetically speedhack with, have it turned on, have multiple people report them for skipping excessive amounts of tiles, but not actually be speedhacking?

You're so silly.

Last edited by a moderator:

z0rak

You're an idiot. People can speedhack here. It's very simple to catch also. Ping has nothing to do with speed either man...

So, the clear, concise, bulletproof technical reason why it's impossible is just shrugged off with "nope, you're an idiot"? The fact that literally no other RunUO shard suffers from speedhackers is completely inconsequential?

If there's a flaw in my argument, then call it out. I explained exactly how RunUO works (your character will not be allowed to move more than once every 100ms). Are you suggesting that this is not true? If you are, then I can show you the code and prove it to you.

So then the question becomes can an "un-hacked" client actually achieve 1 movement request every 100ms? And the answer is, of course, yes. The UO client itself will also limit movement packets being sent every ~100ms. On a sufficiently fast computer and a sufficiently fast connection, no TCP traffic will back up, packets will go out on the wire as fast as the UO client wants to send them, which (for movement packets) is exactly 100ms.

To respond to eric_azria, yes, Cheat Engine WILL let someone who has a shitty connection (relatively shitty compared to the ideal 0ms ping) run as fast as someone on a zero-latency connection. Cheat Engine will cause your client to send move request packets faster than every 100ms. As long as they don't reach the server more than every 100ms, then it's all gravy -- the server thinks you're sending them exactly when you should. If you crank it up too high, though, then you will see throttling in the form of rubberbanding because the server receives all your "i'm ready to move forward one tile" requests, sees that you're sending them too fast and says "hold on, you JUST sent me 3 other requests!" But if someone's connection is sufficiently fast, they don't NEED CheatEngine in order to get their movement requests out to the UO server and back within 100ms. In the end, it is still impossible to speedhack. Speedhack would mean running faster than 1 step every 100ms. That is absolutely impossible. The fact that most people have connection issues that limit them to 1 step every 110ms or 120ms doesn't mean that fast connections are speedhacking.

So that leaves one last issue. Your un-hacked client will send a movement packet every 100ms even though it won't have gotten to the server and back yet. So you'd think, you can tell the internet to send move request 0 at t0, move request 1 at t0+100ms, move request 2 at t0+200ms, etc and then the server would actually see (assuming 90ms ping) movement request 0 at t0+90ms, movement request 1 at t0+190ms, movement request 3 at t0+290ms, etc. So you should still see yourself moving every 100ms, but in reality, there are alot of other packets getting transferred back and forth slowing you down. You're also usually not running in a straight line (you're casting spells, waiting for the server to say okay, you're done casting, you can move again; you're waiting to see what the server tells you other people on your screen are doing before you decide where you want to move; probably other delays..)

wreckognize

Grandmaster
To respond to eric_azria, yes, Cheat Engine WILL let someone who has a shitty connection (relatively shitty compared to the ideal 0ms ping) run as fast as someone on a zero-latency connection. Cheat Engine will cause your client to send move request packets faster than every 100ms. As long as they don't reach the server more than every 100ms, then it's all gravy -- the server thinks you're sending them exactly when you should. If you crank it up too high, though, then you will see throttling in the form of rubberbanding because the server receives all your "i'm ready to move forward one tile" requests, sees that you're sending them too fast and says "hold on, you JUST sent me 3 other requests!" But if someone's connection is sufficiently fast, they don't NEED CheatEngine in order to get their movement requests out to the UO server and back within 100ms.

reminds me of the 'poison/hide' so called speedhack of relpor. where you looked like you were moving incredibly fast, you still could not outrun anyone lol.

Blizz

Novice
as much as I hate to say this... Azria is right, there are speedhackers on this server... a lot have been banned, some havent... should I share the old link from back in like february march that had the list of 'fast movers' that was posted by the admins? They can detect irregular movement speed, what they choose to do with it is up to them. If you think a 13+ year old game is safe from speedhacking because its a runuo based server your a moron. Let this thread die please, all the people in the 'know' aren't going to change there minds because some asshat named zorak came and wrote a half page on the forums about how its not possible.... gg

jdcalve

Master
So zorak what you're saying is using cheat engine to achieve 100ms movement times is perfectly ok?

Cheating is cheating, I don't give a fuck what method is used.

jdcalve

Master
Tracing route to login.uoforever.com [192.65.242.98]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms www.asusnetwork.net [**]
2 33 ms 30 ms 30 ms **.192.1
3 13 ms 11 ms 34 ms te-9-2-ur01.**.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.85.180.113]
4 23 ms 15 ms 31 ms te-8-3-ur02.**.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.85.176.58]
5 32 ms 23 ms 15 ms te-0-11-0-9-ar01.elmhurst.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.85.177.81]
6 24 ms 29 ms 21 ms he-2-1-0-0-cr01.chicago.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.91.141]
7 18 ms 43 ms 19 ms he-1-7-0-0-cr01.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.88.46]
8 28 ms 47 ms 16 ms he-0-12-0-0-pe04.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.83.162]
9 28 ms 22 ms 31 ms 192.205.37.21
10 52 ms 55 ms 51 ms cr2.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.132.158]
11 55 ms 56 ms 51 ms cr2.sl9mo.ip.att.net [12.122.2.22]
12 56 ms 71 ms 51 ms cr1.sl9mo.ip.att.net [12.122.2.217]
13 53 ms 51 ms 66 ms cr2.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.122.3.221]
14 48 ms 50 ms 61 ms ggr6.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.122.138.113]
15 64 ms 61 ms 50 ms 12.90.228.14
16 49 ms 53 ms 50 ms border2.te3-1-bbnet1.dal006.pnap.net [216.52.191.3]
17 54 ms 71 ms 53 ms ionity-4.border2.dal006.pnap.net [63.251.44.14]
18 54 ms 51 ms 60 ms 199.231.224.41
19 49 ms 54 ms 50 ms 192.65.242.98

Trace complete.

Tracing route to login.uoforever.com [192.65.242.98]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms www.asusnetwork.net [**]
2 44 ms 19 ms 28 ms ***.192.1
3 16 ms 16 ms 29 ms te-9-2-ur01.**.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.85.180.113]
4 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms te-8-3-ur02.**.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.85.176.58]
5 29 ms 31 ms 20 ms te-0-11-0-9-ar01.elmhurst.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.85.177.81]
6 18 ms 23 ms 35 ms he-2-1-0-0-cr01.chicago.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.91.141]
7 22 ms 20 ms 27 ms he-1-7-0-0-cr01.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.88.46]
8 35 ms 21 ms 17 ms he-0-12-0-0-pe04.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.83.162]
9 20 ms 23 ms 22 ms 192.205.37.21
10 55 ms 59 ms 55 ms cr2.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.132.158]
11 52 ms 74 ms 51 ms cr2.sl9mo.ip.att.net [12.122.2.22]
12 53 ms 51 ms 52 ms cr1.sl9mo.ip.att.net [12.122.2.217]
13 49 ms 50 ms 51 ms cr2.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.122.3.221]
14 52 ms 53 ms 48 ms ggr6.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.122.138.113]
15 51 ms 66 ms 53 ms 12.90.228.14
16 49 ms 48 ms 49 ms border2.te3-1-bbnet1.dal006.pnap.net [216.52.191.3]
17 57 ms 49 ms 54 ms ionity-4.border2.dal006.pnap.net [63.251.44.14]
18 54 ms 53 ms 61 ms 199.231.224.41
19 55 ms 51 ms 49 ms 192.65.242.98

Trace complete.

Yeah, must be my shitty ping/connection.

Get fuckin real.

Status
Not open for further replies.