Starter Tamer Advice

Denzi

Neophyte
Hey everyone, fairly inexperienced new player here. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on making a Tamer. I already have an Archer/Mage/Bard thing I have heard is a solid template to begin with (and I love provocation anyway, so it was a natural choice). I was hoping for some help with making a tamer. I just recently started the character on an advanced template with 50 taming/lore (and bought up to 50 magery with my starter gold) but I'd like to be able to try to make some money with him while I level him up.

I really do not have any interest in 'just' dragging him somewhere and spending hours upon hours just grinding Taming/Lore so I'd like to know if there are any decent pets I could get and control at 50 skill so I could explore the world and collect gold out and about. If there is anything you think I'd need to know I'd love to hear it, even if it is something incredibly basic. I'd also like to hear how I could go about getting some pets that could recall with me, I heard that pets have to be 'bonded' in order to recall with you and there are deeds or scrolls to do that but I've no clue how to acquire the deeds or how to bond a pet naturally. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Apologies if I missed an obvious thread that works for this

mynameis

Adept
I'm not sure about 50 but you might be able to tame non-grizzly bears.

You feed a pet and it bonds 7 days later.

DoctorBooty

Apprentice
I think you need like 70 or something low like that to get young dragons which I think would achieve your goal. At 50 idk that anything is worth having.

As far as bonding just feed your pet, stable it for seven days then feed it again. It will now be bonded and you can recall with it, res if it dies, etc

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yoar

Adept
As stated above, you can really start making decent money when you can control young dragons at 74.5 taming. I wouldn't bother PVMing with wolves or bears imo :p. You can hit 74.5 skill in about 2 days of hardcore training.

Boars, hinds, timber wolves, horses and llamas (in forest areas) seem to give you the best gains from 50-60 taming. When you hit 60 you should go to Shame lvl 1 and tame scorpions there. Peacemaking may come in handy when you do that!

Oh and pets do not log out with you. If you are sitting on a mount, then the mount will log out with you, but you should stable the rest of your pets.

Denzi

Neophyte
Thanks for the help everyone, any recommendations where to train in a dungeon up until 60 Angel? Everything I've read on training suggested various forest critters before then.

mynameis

Adept
Thanks for the help everyone, any recommendations where to train in a dungeon up until 60 Angel? Everything I've read on training suggested various forest critters before then.
I found the best thing to tame is giant rats in Despise. Much better gains than anything else I tried. Great gains actually.

Nihilism

Grandmaster
Shame scorpions will take you a long way.
I stopped at 84 as I had 16 scrolls stocked up. But I was still gaining MINIMUM 10 gains (1.0) per hour, even 83-84.

Add peacemaking/music to your template. After you finish taming, you can ditch them.

Fallen Angel

Grandmaster
50-80 Scorpions in Shame full pk,make recal macro.if see reds recal fast.and full another tamer(often stupid)
srocpions give good gain if you one in dungeon if not use retame
best build for training taming imho - 3x bard(music,provo and peace) anatomy healing archery and taiming
im dressed in iron chainmail(600gp) bow(15 gp) bandages and arow 3300-4000 per 1k arrow
if pk kill me im dont cry i lost only 1k gp
as 78-80 will write me, I'll tell you a super place for training (currently relevant)

Denzi

Neophyte
Awesome, so sounds like if I want to level up a tamer it would be in my best interest to macro up some other skills first for survivability. Thanks everyone!

Strife

Master
I would suggest following D Wade's guide. I know I did and was able to GM taming in about 2 weeks of regular playing.

Anzo

Neophyte
Im following the guides but man is taming tedious to train...... Spell resist is nothing compared to this shit. Im up to the point i just gave up training multiple hours, i just log on for 1% per day on the tamer to keep my sanity.

mynameis

Adept
Im following the guides but man is taming tedious to train...... Spell resist is nothing compared to this shit. Im up to the point i just gave up training multiple hours, i just log on for 1% per day on the tamer to keep my sanity.
You got the right idea. I decided to power thru it in about a week but towards the end it was just here and there. 1pt a day sounds great or sometimes just go for a few 'quick' .1s.

Tame things that are not too easy or too hard! I gained .6-1 per hour all the way to GM. I noticed most ppl tame things that are too hard.. They're failing 10+ times but cuz they gain a .1 or .2 on one animal they think its good.