Taming help

Entr0phy

Neophyte
Well I'm finally making a tamer and I have a question or two. Let me say that I have read the guides and have a good idea of what creature to tame to get gains. Anyway, I have been taming scorpions in shame to start off with. I have gm Mage, music, peace and Provo with 64 animal lore and 53.6 taming.

I guess I'm wondering why in the hell my gains are so low, it doesn't appear that I am gaining off fails but onl on successful tames. I started here with 50 taming and 50 lore. I have spent about 3.5 hours peacing and taming scorpions and my lore has gone up to 64 and my taming only up to 53.6. I usually only tame them once before I move onto a new one, rather than go for a second retame. Does this gain rate sound right? That's roughly 1 skill point an hour. I've never played a tamer in my entire uo career so I have no idea. Someone please shed some light on this. Thanks!

Maybe I should also mention that I am always eating and drinking...so no issues there. Another strange thing is that the value of my taming skill is 62.5 while the base is 54 now. Just seems like a huge difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Memphist

Grandmaster
Taming is one of the most difficult skills on this server and that is good. You are doing all right. 1 to 1,5 skillgain per hour is normally. Thats the reason why a +1 taming ss cost around 175k.

Nihilism

Grandmaster
Remember, skill gains are their fastest when you're in the proper "zone" for each tameable.
Although you can "attempt" to tame certain things, and can succeed/fail, until you're in the right "zone", you will only see some gains here and there, it's best to tame about 15-20 points above a minimum requirement.

Not actual values, but say you can START taming Hinds at 40...
That means the minimum skill you can have to even start taming them is 40. Being 55-60, you are 15-20 points above the minimum, but are in the "sweet spot" as far as gains are concerned.

you're on the right track with scorpions, and they start yielding VERY good gains from about 60 REAL skill-83+ (personally, I stopped at 83 cuz I had 17 ss's waiting, but was STILL getting 1-1.2 gains per HOUR off scorps from 82-83)

At YOUR skill level, try to find some cows, pigs, boars, horses, hinds, timber wolves. You'll notice that Shame scorps can tend to be a pk hotspot. So I suggest you do scorps there, once you get pk'd, go out and tame a bunch of the formerly mentioned. Then go back.

Trust me though, the gains start coming better after 60.

And just a side note, as of recently, staff is heavily frowning upon people gating in animals to dungeons, let alone for people to macro on.
I suggest you do *NOT* do this, or have this done for you.

They haven't released an official statement on the forums in regards to this (that I've seen), but they sent out a global message yesterday in game, and have been enforcing said issue over the past month or so.

Entr0phy

Neophyte
Remember, skill gains are their fastest when you're in the proper "zone" for each tameable.
Although you can "attempt" to tame certain things, and can succeed/fail, until you're in the right "zone", you will only see some gains here and there, it's best to tame about 15-20 points above a minimum requirement.

Not actual values, but say you can START taming Hinds at 40...
That means the minimum skill you can have to even start taming them is 40. Being 55-60, you are 15-20 points above the minimum, but are in the "sweet spot" as far as gains are concerned.

you're on the right track with scorpions, and they start yielding VERY good gains from about 60 REAL skill-83+ (personally, I stopped at 83 cuz I had 17 ss's waiting, but was STILL getting 1-1.2 gains per HOUR off scorps from 82-83)

At YOUR skill level, try to find some cows, pigs, boars, horses, hinds, timber wolves. You'll notice that Shame scorps can tend to be a pk hotspot. So I suggest you do scorps there, once you get pk'd, go out and tame a bunch of the formerly mentioned. Then go back.

Trust me though, the gains start coming better after 60.

And just a side note, as of recently, staff is heavily frowning upon people gating in animals to dungeons, let alone for people to macro on.

They haven't released an official statement on the forums in regards to this (that I've seen), but they sent out a global message yesterday in game, and have been enforcing said issue over the past month or so.

Cheers, thank you for the reply. I guess I just had to fall into that sweet spot of the skill gain. Once I hit 55, my gains started increasing greatly in frequency. I got to 57 in about 45 minutes...Tbh, I wasn't planning on gating anything and taming it, sounds like way too much work, especially considering that I have 12 scrolls and hopefully 6-8 more by the time I get to 80! Either way, thanks for the info, I do appreciate it.

Kraden

Grandmaster
Okay I guees a better question would be what do you belive gives you better drops, titans, LLs, or Ballys

mynameis

Adept

Issue? What was the said in the message?

Nihilism

Grandmaster
Essentially that it was the last warning regarding porting creatures from one area to another for the purposes of afk macro taming.