Taming Question

Ryzz Brah

Novice
Has anyone figured out why it's possible to gain .3 skill points in 5-10 minutes but go 2 hours without a single gain? Is there a cap on the amount of points that can be gained per hour, or is there a cap on the number of gains from taming the same mob over and over?

Messremb

Grandmaster
Rng my friend,

Also, unless you can tame an animal at all 4 levels watch out for retames. You will be able to attempt the tame, but because you have no chance to succeed you will not gain off of it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Ryzz Brah

Novice
Yes I took that into consideration, but I wonder if the skill requirements are different for this shard. The reason I ask is because I should have had more than enough skill to tame a White Wolf on the 4th attempt but after 30 minutes of trying and not receiving a single skill gain, I began to question the skill requirements for this shard.

Desi

Grandmaster
Taming here is designed to be as tedious and painful as possible.
While I was training taming I always moved on to a new target after three consecutive failures or no gains. My taming golden rule was always: quantity over quality. I tamed until my eyes bled, and eventually I gm'ed off of a great hart. Good luck. This skill requires persistence.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
While I was training taming I always moved on to a new target after three consecutive failures or no gains. My taming golden rule was always: quantity over quality. I tamed until my eyes bled, and eventually I gm'ed off of a great hart. Good luck. This skill requires persistence.

is this why when i spend a day getting taming gains i dont want to play UO for a week after?

Ryzz Brah

Novice
I think I'm going to have to adopt that rule because staring at the same mob for over 10 minutes and seeing nothing gained makes me want to give up on taming lol. At least if I'm taming new mobs and changing the scenery I'll feel like I'm actually accomplishing something, even if it doesn't result in a skill gain. Plus I really want to GM taming since I've never gotten a tamer past 90.0 since I first played UO in 2000.

at one point i think well into taming.. regular horses started giving me good gains.. very strange. it was a long time ago, but i think i was in the 70's even

Young Star

Grandmaster
Same thing for me with walruses. Got a lot of my gains from them.

Ryzz. What is your current taming at? If you are on ice and running into stuborn tames i would just move on. Maybe go back to animals from the previous level. When i was at the middle stage i just bounced around to anything. If it took longer then 5 mins i move to something else.

Ryzz Brah

Novice
Same thing for me with walruses. Got a lot of my gains from them.

Ryzz. What is your current taming at? If you are on ice and running into stuborn tames i would just move on. Maybe go back to animals from the previous level. When i was at the middle stage i just bounced around to anything. If it took longer then 5 mins i move to something else.
I'm now at 95.9 taming and yeah I started to move on instead of trying to tame the same mob for 30 minutes. It's like you said, I would get more gains from taming everything even a fresh walrus and polar than from a white wolf or bull that had already been tamed.

Young Star

Grandmaster
At that level i did mainly big hell cats and lava lizards. Also still got gains from all the grizzly bears and great harts.

Ryzz Brah

Novice
Yeah I tried taming large hell cats and lava lizards but I'm not a fan of dungeon taming so I've been taming white wolves, bulls, grizzly bears, and great harts. The gains haven't been too terrible so I've been sticking with them. If the gains becomes agonizingly slow then I'll try taming in the dungeons again.