The real danger to UOF - Toxic attitudes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bane

Master
EDIT - 1:
I felt I should clarify a bit. I don't think trash talk on the forums is toxic. It drums up some in game PvP and helps drive action a lot of the time. Hell I read the hell out of the troll and trash talk threads.

What I think is toxic is the us vs them mentality I see building. The PvMers that vilify all PKs as griefers who spend their day plotting how to ruin the PvMers playtime. The PKs who think they are superior to everyone who doesn't choose to PvP. This is what I believe creates a toxic community.

TLDR
So have been thinking about this for awhile and I think the real danger to this shard is the toxic attitudes of the vocal minority on these forums. What makes UO great is the freedom to do so many different things. In what other game can you be a thief, entrepreneur, murderer, factioner, PvMer, house designer, pirate, or some combination of all of the above. But, we can't on one hand celebrate this freedom and on the other hand spit on those that choose to play differently than we do. This will only drive new, existing, and potential players away.

For the Blues
PKs aren't psychopaths that were beaten as children. The vast majority of PKs that I know do other stuff in this game too. There should be penalties for being a PK but we shouldn't be asking for penalties that are so onerous that we lose these players. We need murderers to add danger/difficulty to dungeons, champ spawns, rdas, ..etc. Plus when you get griefed by another blue player you will want the freedom to kill them. Without murderers things get boring pretty quick and with crazy penalties you end up with more blue griefers and massive red zergs. Dying is a part of the game and you will have far more fun if you don't take every death personally.

For the Reds
People that don't enjoy the PvP aspects of this game are not inferior to you. Without those that like the other many things this game has to offer this server would have a tiny population and you would have to engage in areas of this game that you don't enjoy. Spit on these players enough and eventually they will leave. Then you have to gather your own resources, craft your own supplies, dungeons would be largely empty, and the server would feel dead. In short continue doing what you are doing but there is no reason to be a dick about it. If it is safe enough toss your victims a rez. Maybe leave a set of recall regs on the corpse. After all the quicker they can get back to farming the more money you will make from them in the future. A lot of reds already do this and I applaud them for it.

Conclusion
This server needs players that like to do all the different things this game has to offer. It is not what we choose to do in that game that makes anyone special or superior but how we choose to do it. Lets celebrate the freedom that UO has to offer.

P.S.
@Shane @Adam @eppy
We really, really, really need a few more forum moderators (at least for the selling forums) to keep things somewhat under control. Who knows how many players decided not to even bother with our server because of forum drama that got a little too toxic.

Last edited by a moderator:

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
EQMS will res/not dry loot 90% of the PVM men we kill in dungeons. Its like hunters -- if you overhunt the land anduse dirty tricks like baiting with corn eventually all the ducks and geese will be gone.

Id rather res the guy, give him back his repond katana, and kill him again in 2 days.

p.s.

If there we other crews who werent scared to faction or PVP against us in brit or other faction hotspots, EQMS would never set foot in a dungeon.

bane

Master
EQMS will res/not dry loot 90% of the PVM men we kill in dungeons. Its like hunters -- if you overhunt the land anduse dirty tricks like baiting with corn eventually all the ducks and geese will be gone.

Id rather res the guy, give him back his repond katana, and kill him again in 2 days.

p.s.

If there we other crews who werent scared to faction or PVP against us in brit or other faction hotspots, EQMS would never set foot in a dungeon.
That's awesome. For the P.S. let's try not to turn this thread into a forum PvP event :rolleyes:

bane

Master
Right Im just saying one way to get us out of dungeons is to come PVP us in factions or the no cut...
Yep but we still need dungeon PKs. There comes a point where nothing but another player poses a credible risk. The danger is what spices up PvM for me. Recalling in and clearing monsters as quick as possible then GTFO before someone comes along. Without this danger things get dull. This is coming from a player whose main character for the first year of this server was a crafter. Also I am just now starting to learning how to PvP 18 years into the life of this game.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Put the TLDR at the top.

TLDR
So have been thinking about this for awhile and I think the real danger to this shard is the toxic attitudes of the vocal minority on these forums. What makes UO great is the freedom to do so many different things. In what other game can you be a thief, entrepreneur, murderer, factioner, PvMer, house designer, pirate, or some combination of all of the above. But, we can't on one hand celebrate this freedom and on the other hand spit on those that choose to play differently than we do. This will only drive new, existing, and potential players away.

For the Blues
PKs aren't psychopaths that were beaten as children. The vast majority of PKs that I know do other stuff in this game too. There should be penalties for being a PK but we shouldn't be asking for penalties that are so onerous that we lose these players. We need murderers to add danger/difficulty to dungeons, champ spawns, rdas, ..etc. Plus when you get griefed by another blue player you will want the freedom to kill them. Without murderers things get boring pretty quick and with crazy penalties you end up with more blue griefers and massive red zergs. Dying is a part of the game and you will have far more fun if you don't take every death personally.

For the Reds
People that don't enjoy the PvP aspects of this game are not inferior to you. Without those that like the other many things this game has to offer this server would have a tiny population and you would have to engage in areas of this game that you don't enjoy. Spit on these players enough and eventually they will leave. Then you have to gather your own resources, craft your own supplies, dungeons would be largely empty, and the server would feel dead. In short continue doing what you are doing but there is no reason to be a dick about it. If it is safe enough toss your victims a rez. Maybe leave a set of recall regs on the corpse. After all the quicker they can get back to farming the more money you will make from them in future. A lot of reds already do this and I applaud them for it.

Conclusion
This server needs players that like to do all the different things this game has to offer. It is not what we choose to do in that game that makes anyone special or superior but how we choose to do it. Lets celebrate the freedom that UO has to offer.

P.S.
@Shane @Adam @eppy
We really, really, really need a few more forum moderators to keep things somewhat civil. Who knows how many players decided not to even bother with our server because of forum drama that got a little too toxic.

I'm with ya.... aside from the buying, selling and news, let's ban the forms all together.... problem solved ;)

Lazenby

Adept
I kinda enjoy reading the forums. If you can't handle the forums, the game is going to be difficult.

PS- The "toxic" forums are part of what made me want to try this server so bad, In games like Rift, GW2, etc...you see this kind of stuff in game, and that doesn't seem to hurt the games. Most players don't even come to the forums...

Now when it comes to IRC, and I logged in last week to the same shit from the forums, that is a whole different story. IRC should be clean/professional.
Back to the forums, if a random noob comes on and asks a question, I don't see anyone flaming. They get quality answers from those very people who are flaming. most of the flaming, it is mostly a two way thing between two consenting sides. The post by Fatts about the power rankings and stuff is some of the best stuff I have seen. Really gives some flavor to a game with no in game chat system really.

bane

Master
I kinda enjoy reading the forums. If you can't handle the forums, the game is going to be difficult.

PS- The "toxic" forums are part of what made me want to try this server so bad, In games like Rift, GW2, etc...you see this kind of stuff in game, and that doesn't seem to hurt the games. Most players don't even come to the forums...

Now when it comes to IRC, and I logged in last week to the same shit from the forums, that is a whole different story. IRC should be clean/professional.
Back to the forums, if a random noob comes on and asks a question, I don't see anyone flaming. They get quality answers from those very people who are flaming. most of the flaming, it is mostly a two way thing between two consenting sides. The post by Fatts about the power rankings and stuff is some of the best stuff I have seen. Really gives some flavor to a game with no in game chat system really.
My post wasn't so much that trash talk is toxic but more that the more extreme "anti-Trammie" and "anti-PK" attitudes is toxic to our community.

Lazenby

Adept

p.s.

Indeed, two sides to every story. Let me tell you the tale of Bill the Titan. As many of you know, Titian's have a an average lifespan of around 5-15 minutes. One day, Bill was returning from the store after buying some skittles...just as he was returning to the cave, he noticed some guy with a pair of dragons killing his parents. Poor Bill! All of a sudden, after standing 7 squares away for several minutes, the dragons turned to him, and the man instructed him to raise his hands. Bill did as he asked, and just as he was about to ask the evil tamer who had a blue name floating over his head why they ate his parents, they struck. They tried to, because as the tamer and its genocidal dragons tried to kill poor Bill, Gluttony and his 20 merry men came along to save the day. They killed the man, and his dragons, and left Bill alone.

Present day, Bill has relocated via the underground trammel railroad and is currently residing in the fair, abandoned city of Delucia. Bill thanks Gluttony and his friends for saving the day, and being such stand up guys. I think as a server, we should recognize that heroes still do exist, and next time you see your local swarm of EQMS zerglings, thank them. So next time you have something to say about reds, remember the story of Bill the Titan. And now.....you know the rest of story.

#RedLivesMatter

Fixxer

Master
Indeed, two sides to every story. Let me tell you the tale of Bill the Titan. As many of you know, Titian's have a an average lifespan of around 5-15 minutes. One day, Bill was returning from the store after buying some skittles...just as he was returning to the cave, he noticed some guy with a pair of dragons killing his parents. Poor Bill! All of a sudden, after standing 7 squares away for several minutes, the dragons turned to him, and the man instructed him to raise his hands. Bill did as he asked, and just as he was about to ask the evil tamer who had a blue name floating over his head why they ate his parents, they struck. They tried to, because as the tamer and its genocidal dragons tried to kill poor Bill, Gluttony and his 20 merry men came along to save the day. They killed the man, and his dragons, and left Bill alone.

Present day, Bill has relocated via the underground trammel railroad and is currently residing in the fair, abandoned city of Delucia. Bill thanks Gluttony and his friends for saving the day, and being such stand up guys. I think as a server, we should recognize that heroes still do exist, and next time you see your local swarm of EQMS zerglings, thank them. So next time you have something to say about reds, remember the story of Bill the Titan. And now.....you know the rest of story.

#RedLivesMatter

10/10, would read again. Should be published.

Streets

Grandmaster
Part of the problem too is pk'ing is more of an endgame thung. You are not gonna pk unless you have a finished toon. Thus is why perma loss would hurt.

But blues are developing their toons. Many not optimized. Even if you have pvp ed on another toon you maybe learning a new skillset.

So you have people working twards an ideal build vs those that have an optimized build. Then you have the toxic behavior on top of it.

But pvp murders are a part of the game the inky thung you want to try to do is keep some sort of balance. What good is a shard that has no bkues? Pretty sad yet what if there are no reds?

I don't know the solution but I think we all are starting to see the intricacies that need to have balance. So many aspects of the game so many options. You can't please everyone but you can always tweak here and there

Streets

Grandmaster
Also I know we need pks it is a part of life but I never remember seeing as many as we have here on official shards. Yea they where there yea you would die and get frustrated but there are more than we need for this server size and that is an opinion not of pvp vs pvm just purely based on logistics and numbers.

Kairus

Adept

#RedLivesMatter

evil people griefing others,
good ones fighting the evil.
weak ones kneeling to the evil, joining them.
good ones now having to fight the weak ones... the ones they swore to protect in the past.
evil protecting its minions, protecting the poor weak ppl from good guys.
and now , good ones seem like the evil...

Lazenby

Adept
evil people griefing others,
good ones fighting the evil.
weak ones kneeling to the evil, joining them.
good ones now having to fight the weak ones... the ones they swore to protect in the past.
evil protecting its minions, protecting the poor weak ppl from good guys.
and now , good ones seem like the evil...
Exactly! Or something!!!
@Fattson is this Orange Aids Monkey Emu or whatever? If not, we have a copycat!

Easy Erin

Journeyman

p.s.

Maybe next time you get in a fight don't call 12 meat shields against the 4 enemies fighting you.

Status
Not open for further replies.