Tired of runners? Let's let archers shoot while running.

Dellan

Grandmaster
It's a stupid idea. Sorry, but it is. If you absolutely have to, roll with archery and another weapon skill and switch when you need to. Or use tank mage with archery. Bows are super strong, heavy xbows are like fuckin howitzer (sometimes), they are perfect as support weapon in groups, but 1v1 they suck. And if anyone plans to use reality comparison, think about longbows.. That thing required you to stay still, put your weight into it, and was able to pierce armor. But who would win in 1v1, lightly (or wearing none) armored archer against heavy fucker with platemail and two handed sword?

Adramelech

Master
How about a chance for stun on hit? OR if that's not original enough make it have a chance on hit of not allowing a target to heal for a certain amount of time.

What I really want though is zombieland archery. I honestly just want the zombieland mechanics for everything. The arcade style made dexxer combat feel so much more exciting.

It's a stupid idea. Sorry, but it is. If you absolutely have to, roll with archery and another weapon skill and switch when you need to. Or use tank mage with archery. Bows are super strong, heavy xbows are like fuckin howitzer (sometimes), they are perfect as support weapon in groups, but 1v1 they suck. And if anyone plans to use reality comparison, think about longbows.. That thing required you to stay still, put your weight into it, and was able to pierce armor. But who would win in 1v1, lightly (or wearing none) armored archer against heavy fucker with platemail and two handed sword?

It's not a stupid idea, give an opinion, not an insult. Some people have no place in a debate. Rolling with two weapons means you would have to sacrifice 100 points in a weapon skill just to be viable in a chase when all the other templates dominate at it. I think balance is key, free running archers isn't the answer but archers need something. Crossbows do hit like a howitzer, you're totally right. So do flamestrikes. So do maces. The thing they have in common is a cool down or cast time. Do you know the cool down on a heavy cross bow? I believe it's 5 entire seconds at 100 stamina. To put that in perspective a long spear is 2 and a half seconds , a flame strike is like two seconds and we already know about explosion potions.

What you're saying to me is that while I'm chasing someone, I'm expected to stop for an entire 5 seconds to hit them while they are still running?
What everyone keeps saying is that archers are great in groups. Isnt any class great in a group when they outnumber someone? 3 archers on a mage will devastate him. 3 mages on an archer will also devastate him. The issue here is that those encounters are just that. Ganks. 3 archers vs 3 mages would be an interesting fight but it seems on this server that the mages will just off screen, preload, run the script and those archers will die. If the archers run however, they will get spammed with potions, spammed with quick casting spells and stunned until they are dead.

The developers created a game that is still successful to this day. It's 20 years later and we're still playing it. They created balance and we as a private server copied them. It is an emulation. If the the question is how to create balanced archers in PvP when chasing, why not take a page from the people who made the game and add moving shot? Dismount shots were added after AOS which is when Ultima died. Moving shot was added in Mondains and should work just like a stun.

Dellan

Grandmaster
What you're saying to me is that while I'm chasing someone, I'm expected to stop for an entire 5 seconds to hit them while they are still running?

I doubt anyone will stand still and wait for you to reload. You reload while you run. Also, you can't compare spells to bows, while spells can be shot while running (which stops you for a small moment), they need to be casted, which stops you completely for time spent casting, meaning bows are in fact better for chasing people and shooting them while they take turns, since you'd probably lose precasted spell by that time. I'm not entirely sure but it takes half second or so to shoot from bow when you stop. Thing with bows is they're super strong, even normal ones. Giving them ability to shoot while running would destroy pvp, believe me on that. Imagine macer running after archer - macer gets riddled with holes without any possible chance to catch up with said archer. You'd have to compensate it somehow, but how? Maybe possibility to shoot while running but ONLY when you face your target, no shooting guided missiles like it is now. Still might be too OP. Balance is awful two edged weapon that can destroy whole shard when it comes to pvp.. I'd rather see a way to stop runners (not with bolas tho), least for a second so you can land that shot/shorten distance between you and target/cast a spell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dellan

Grandmaster
Btw I was thinking about this endless running scenarios and how to stop them.. Only things that came on my mind are either using some item (throwing daggers or something) that stops runner for a second, can be used once per xx seconds and only in facing direction, with % chance to stop them.. Second idea is literally throwing yourself on the guy you're chasing, dismounting him and yourself in the process. Might come up with couple more things, but for now my brain is fried.

Chesty Puller

Grandmaster
Btw I was thinking about this endless running scenarios and how to stop them.. Only things that came on my mind are either using some item (throwing daggers or something) that stops runner for a second, can be used once per xx seconds and only in facing direction, with % chance to stop them.. Second idea is literally throwing yourself on the guy you're chasing, dismounting him and yourself in the process. Might come up with couple more things, but for now my brain is fried.

there is stun punch, there are paralyzing blows.. there is Paralyze.. jfc running is running, either chase them down or stop chasing them.. smh never have i just fucking chased someone around the map for hours.. there is a time to say fuck it and MOVE ON to another target.

Dellan

Grandmaster
I don't roll with mage char.. Well, most of the time. Dex's are kinda screwed up in this. I'm talkin about I STOLE YOUR BANDIES scenario.. And to stun punch someone you have to get close, parablows the same, para is countered by explo pouch by anyone who has half brain.

Chesty Puller

Grandmaster
there gotta be a conspiracy to ruin this magnificent shard.. Some of yall stains gotta be working for someone with these idiotic ideas.

Shini

Master
Btw I was thinking about this endless running scenarios and how to stop them.. Only things that came on my mind are either using some item (throwing daggers or something) that stops runner for a second, can be used once per xx seconds and only in facing direction, with % chance to stop them.. Might come up with couple more things, but for now my brain is fried.

That's quite interesting how a troll thread made it this far , you're very
creative and all but still i would like to some fix about the many current broken
mechanics before they attempt to turn their server into some kind of knives throwing Goldeneye 64 simulator.

Last edited by a moderator:

K A Z

Grandmaster

watch a scribemage 1v1 an alchymage. Every template has its pro nd cons. Archery included.

It's not a stupid idea, give an opinion, not an insult. Some people have no place in a debate. Rolling with two weapons means you would have to sacrifice 100 points in a weapon skill just to be viable in a chase when all the other templates dominate at it. I think balance is key, free running archers isn't the answer but archers need something. Crossbows do hit like a howitzer, you're totally right. So do flamestrikes. So do maces. The thing they have in common is a cool down or cast time. Do you know the cool down on a heavy cross bow? I believe it's 5 entire seconds at 100 stamina. To put that in perspective a long spear is 2 and a half seconds , a flame strike is like two seconds and we already know about explosion potions.

What everyone keeps saying is that archers are great in groups. Isnt any class great in a group when they outnumber someone? 3 archers on a mage will devastate him. 3 mages on an archer will also devastate him. The issue here is that those encounters are just that. Ganks. 3 archers vs 3 mages would be an interesting fight but it seems on this server that the mages will just off screen, preload, run the script and those archers will die. If the archers run however, they will get spammed with potions, spammed with quick casting spells and stunned until they are dead.

The developers created a game that is still successful to this day. It's 20 years later and we're still playing it. They created balance and we as a private server copied them. It is an emulation. If the the question is how to create balanced archers in PvP when chasing, why not take a page from the people who made the game and add moving shot? Dismount shots were added after AOS which is when Ultima died. Moving shot was added in Mondains and should work just like a stun.

couldn't give be arsed to read that novel of yours but I have to add that it's enough to stop for half a second on this Shard to actually shoot your Arrow. The swingtimer for Archery resets while you move on UOF and is basically an "insta-hit" if you want to call it that.

PS: working the words "cheaters", "script" and "hacks" (you only used one of the three but anyways) into your wall of text does neither make your point more viable nor does it help with your forum e-rep.