UO Forever Navy Scene: Thoughts and Ideas

So, my group has spent a lot of time on the seas, and can't wait to see what some of the changes and/or updates may be going forward in the seas. We got together the other night and were thinking of things that need to be fixed, and possible ideas going forward. here is a list of some of our thoughts......please feel free to comment on any of them or add some of your own fixes or ideas that you can come up with..expand on our ideas, anything you think would bring players out to sea to battle....

Bugs/fixes:

- Boats end up with cannons on the center of the boat: Many of times we come across boats which the cannons have magically shifted from the correct position to filling the center of the boat. Even synching or signing out and in does not resolve the issue. Makes it difficult to target the ship because of this bug.

- Gating onto boats: When opening a gate onto a boat while moving the players get dropped off into the water.

- When docking a boat sometimes, the remnants of the boat still remain, making it difficult to place another boat in this place. This can sometimes take days before you no longer see the boat.

Suggestions:

- Scan the Horizons: Currently unable to see in the East and west boundaries. Would be nice to at least see a red indicator on the border of the screen if a boat is in this area, making them easier to find when in the area.

- Friending people to boats similar to housing. This would prevent having to go through the hassle of adding officers each and every time to the boat. I saw a great system on another server and I will include the link of the screen shot from the system. http://www.uoguide.com/images/e/eb/Boat_Access_List.jpg It shows the general concept and works after back packing the boat. The captain setting can do anything on the boat, while an officer can do everything except for driving. Crew can essentially get on and off the boat. I think it is a great concept and one of my groups absolute favorite suggestions.

- Friending other boats or potentially boats occupied by friends of your boats. This would be key when using scan the horizons to distinguish between friend and foe.

- Swab the Deck feature through tillerman. It would be awesome to have a feature, such as swab the deck, which would clear the deck of any bodies or monsters, allowing to dock the boat easier.

- Improve grappling hook success rate: In there current form, Grappling is almost obsolete. Boats sink quick enough and you fail too often that you don't even have an opportunity to attack. I am not saying this should work every time, but more often then not, similar to the success of gate travel.

- Galleons: I have two suggestions with the Galleons. The first, lowering the cool down time. I still agree it should have the longest of all the ships cool down, but it is exponentially higher then a large ship, and makes the large dragon ship a better option. I think a great added benefit that could be added to galleon is a ship tracking feature, perhaps via the tillerman of via a verbal command, similar to scan the horizons, which can also still work. The command Start Tracking will activate the tracking mode where you will see arrows pointing to up to five nearby ships. Ship tracking tracks all boats whether they're friend and foe. To stop tracking say the command Stop Tracking. Note that you must be within 200 tiles of another ship for ship tracking to work. Just a thought. Takes a lot to make a Galleon, would be nice to have additional perks.

These are just some of our experiences and thoughts. Lets keep a running list because maybe some of these will get included in future updates. The Staff for UO forever seems to be very good at taking suggestions that would benefit the gameplay of its players across the board.

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
+1 for the Swab the deck idea! I've seen other shards use a "garbage bag" of sort. Basically a regular bag that acts like a trash barrell that you can place on the boat. Could even be a gold sync item.

tankian

Grandmaster
Swab the deck idea i presented 1 or 2 months back and got nowhere but maybe this time they will hear us

SidX

Grandmaster
Yes there definitely needs to be a way to clear the deck. It's very annoying cruising through the seas and picking up a bunch of kraken/elemental corpses that take forever to decay... can't drydock and it makes it difficult to access booty chests.

I would also love to see "Ships" added to the Tracking menu. This would be in addition to "scan the horizons" (i.e. not replacing "scan the horizons", just an added perk for those with high Tracking). With GM Tracking you should be able to track ships at the same range of the Crow's Nest upgrade. Just my $0.02.

oomf

Grandmaster
Yes there definitely needs to be a way to clear the deck. It's very annoying cruising through the seas and picking up a bunch of kraken/elemental corpses that take forever to decay... can't drydock and it makes it difficult to access booty chests.

I would also love to see "Ships" added to the Tracking menu. This would be in addition to "scan the horizons" (i.e. not replacing "scan the horizons", just an added perk for those with high Tracking). With GM Tracking you should be able to track ships at the same range of the Crow's Nest upgrade. Just my $0.02.

There is distance bonus on scan the horizons for players with tracking.