Updated Taming Guide

lollo

Grandmaster
Ok so I recently raised taming from 50 to 115 without eating scrolls. I loosely followed Dwayne Wade's guide but I found it has some pretty big "errors". Also don't follow that other guide where the guy tells you that taming in dungeons isn't worth it. That's like the worst possible advice one could give you.

Ok, so first of all, get gm music and gm peace. This can be done overnight completely afk and I don't have to explain how.
Having gm magery and medit helps, too.

****ALL VALUES ARE "REAL" TAMING****

50-80 scorpions in shame. Seriously, don't tame anything else. Tame, release, kill. The respawn is really fast and the taming gains are CRAZY.

80-90 scoprions in shame and great harts/grizzlies (moonglow moongate and a few other spots) and polar bears/walrus in ice island. That other guide said to start doing small hellcat in the low 80s. That's a waste of time. Not enough small hellcats and the gains suck dick. Just tame away at scorpions and hit outdoor animal spawns while you wait for scorpions to respawn. When you reach the high 80s start adding fresh white wolves and fresh bulls.

90-93 this is the only moment where my gains sucked. I still did scorpions for decent gains but i was taming them too fast for them to respawn and i was still getting REALLY BAD gains from lava lizards and small hellcats. Tame everything outdoors, again, buy one of those taming runebooks and just tame everything

93-95 Lava lizards in fire. Finally getting good gains off those. Start also doing some hell hounds. Fire dungeon is full of both those mobs. Also pre tamed bulls and white wolves. Scorpions are unbelievably still good. Got my last gain off a scorpion at 96 or something. Pre tamed scorps are godlike if u can find them.

at 97 i started adding large hellcats while still taming lava lizards and hell hounds. While i was waiting for those to respawn i tamed some pre tamed great harts, grizzlies and bulls getting modest gains.

from 97 to 110 i was still gaining about 1.2 or more every hour (90% of gains came inside dungeon).

From 110 to 115 i was getting 0.8 to 1.0 gains per hour, basically dungeon only. I once tried 45 mins outdoor spawns and only got 0.1 while i was around 112 taming.

Another GREAT tip once you reach 90+ taming: only tame when you can do a 2-3 hour taming session. The gains on this server are really strange (for taming). Sometime I'd close my first hour of taming with 0.6 gains and then I'd literally gain another 0.5 in 10 minutes. I'm not even joking. I once got 0.3 gains in a row on a hellcat around 105 taming.
Just set yourself some goals like "I want to gain 1.0 taming today" instead of saying "I will tame for 1 hour". Because maybe in one hour and 10 minutes you could gain 1.0 while you would've only gained 0.5 if you tamed one hour and quit!!!

TL;DR: It wasn't even half as hard as I imagined. Once i had some free time i basically went from 95 to 110 over two weekends.

The main error in Dwayne Wade's guide (which is still good) was that he started taming small hellcats, lava lizards and hell hounds WAY too soon. And I mean WAY too soon. I guarantee that at 83 you can gain 5x as fast doing scoprions rather than small hellcats and don't even think about taming lava lizards before 90+ if you want good gains.

Unless you're stinking rich it isn't really worth to buy skill scrolls. I had collected 3 i wanted to use but as i saw the gains were so fast even after 110 i just sold them instead.

Don't even think about doing this without peacemaking unless you want to WASTE a lot of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bromista

Grandmaster
There's a fair amount of bad advice here as far as what to tame and when.

Jesus am I gonna have to publicly post my guide I usually reserve for people who take the time to ask my advice?

lollo

Grandmaster
Well blowmista following this guide i was steady gaining one point per hour up to almost 115 and getting from 50 to 80 was so easy it didn't seem true.

I guess with your guide you can gain even more, but this is still much better than the other 2 guides available

GimpCent

Grandmaster
Thank you, this will help a lot

Hopefully I get the chance to pay it forward or back to you

Last edited by a moderator:

Gora

Neophyte
It seems I raised taming at the same time as you, reading the other 2 guides as you and got to the same conclusion.

I stopped at GM for now, so I cannot comment onward, but until GM I can assure I instinctively followed the same steps and I think this is a way better guide than the other 2 posted, maybe just because it´s updated. I´m sure the others were ok before. For example, the advice not to tame on shame is useless right now, maybe back in the day when mobs wouldn´t attack you if you´re young it would be worth to consider taming scorpions on compassion: not anymore.

If you´re thinking about making a tamer, I strongly advice to take this guide into account!

lollo

Grandmaster
It seems I raised taming at the same time as you, reading the other 2 guides as you and got to the same conclusion.

I stopped at GM for now, so I cannot comment onward, but until GM I can assure I instinctively followed the same steps and I think this is a way better guide than the other 2 posted, maybe just because it´s updated. I´m sure the others were ok before. For example, the advice not to tame on shame is useless right now, maybe back in the day when mobs wouldn´t attack you if you´re young it would be worth to consider taming scorpions on compassion: not anymore.

If you´re thinking about making a tamer, I strongly advice to take this guide into account!

You should continue! 100 to 105 was a breeze, easier than 95 to 100. Did that in a single 4 hour and something session, 95% in fire dungeon

stormcast

Neophyte
from 97 to 110 i was still gaining about 1.2 or more every hour (90% of gains came inside dungeon). Taming what?

lollo

Grandmaster
Peace, tame, kill. Gotta do it fast. What skill are you at? (Real)

Bulls are also really good and so are pre tame white wolves and great harts

nv1sion

Neophyte
Just throwing my 2cents out there regarding the whole GM Music/Peace.....

In my opinion, using Paralyze Field enables you to trap the (2) Scorpion Spawns much more effectively in Shame. Most of the time, you can tame both before they release. But with Peace, you have to wait for the skill to use Peace again, and if you fail, you gotta use Paralyze.

I GM'd Music and Peace, but dropped them as I was disappointed with the failure rate (GM Instrument) and just went ahead and GM'd Magery, Meditation and Inscription. Toss up Protection, and you can stand in the thick of it with the Scorp Spawn and just use Paralyze Field. You can also re-use the field a couple times, as the scorp releases, just teleport to the other side or run around to the other side. So you can get at least 4 to 5 Tame Attempts in. It also works great if you happen to aggro an elemental, you can trap him in it too and after you finish taming the scorp, just All Guard.

Again, not really saying one way or the other is better. I'm only at 85 Real right now, but I definitely agree with taming scorps in Shame. I'm still getting great gains and usually there are multiple tamers in there that you can bounce re-tames off of. Remember to setup a Recall Macro that absolute targets your Rune for quick exits when the inevitable PKs roll through, which is pretty often during peak times.

It seems the Bulls have been "gated" to other areas. I've used a few Tamer Runebooks but there just doesn't seem to be much spawn. I'd stick with the Scorps and Dagger Isle (Tame everything and release, and do the re-tames) I was confused at first with the re-tames myself, so just throwing this out there, you get ZERO gains from your own re-tames, which makes sense but I was a newb.

I agree with the weird taming gains too. I've gotten .3 from re-taming a white wolf, but then gone 15+ Tames without a gain. But, 1% an hour seems to be about the average if you're on the right mobs at the correct skill level.