We have a problem with communication

bane

Master
So have another bout of insomnia so it is time for another installment of constructive criticism from Bane!!!! I am putting the TLDR at the top but if you want a more in depth commentary read the whole thing (don't expect you to).

TLDR
If staff members are not already able to use the in game notification system please allow them to use it. This is to make sure players know all of rule or policy changes for the server. You guys are wasting a whole lot of staff time warning people one by one.

If there is a rule or policy change please do the following: update the Rules of this Shard page, create a forum post about the change, use the in game notification system to notify all logged in players of the change with a link to the forum post, and update the log in message to include a mention of the rule change with a link. Effective communication with your players is easily the most important retention tool you have.

Why Am I Posting This?
What prompted this post, besides not being able to sleep, is I recently heard about a change in policy about using boats to engage with players on land. Essentially you should not use them because there is a bug that crashes players that use Sallos.

Now this post is not about the merits of this policy change. The problem is that I had to hear about this large rule change from another player. There is no mention of this policy change in the forums and there was no notification in game about this change for the players that don't frequent the forums. This is a problem.

How long have we had this problem?1
For at least the last 18 months (Full Disclosure: had a break in the middle there) changes to rules, hints as to what is to come, and temporary policy changes (so the staff has a chance to talk) have been communicated through IRC or in game warnings without any documentation on the Rules page, forums, or broadcast in game notification. The staff is limited as it is. I don't know how you can expect to manage letting everyone know about these changes on a case by case basis.

Proposed Solution
First step is to realize that it is far more efficient to take a little more time up front and notify players of changes to rule changes using the tools you already have. This should reduce in game pages and accusations of favoritism. If a rule is going to applied (permanent or temporary) here is the minimum that should be done to get the word out:
  • Create a forum post for the rule change and don't allow replies. Indicate whether this is a change pending review from Adam and/or Shane or if it is permanent. If you have time you can add why you changed/added the rule but this is just extra. Please don't point fingers at abusers as this is just counter productive.
  • Create a one time in game notification that shows to all players currently logged in as well as to players that log in later. Include a TLDR version of the rule change and a link to the forum post. I am sure there are a ton of players that rarely look at the forums. This makes sure that players are informed.
  • Once the rule is approved by the top dogs and becomes permanent add it to the Rules page so new players know about it going forward.
I happen to spend a lot of time on IRC and on the forums so I hear about a lot of these changes but I imagine most players don't and new players have no clue since the Rules page is really really really out of date. All of this takes time of course but I would wager that you will end up saving far more time not having to explain/clarify the rule over and over and over again. Instead you could merely post a link.

Conclusion
Regardless of what you do in response to this post I will continue to enjoy playing on UOF. That said it doesn't mean we can't improve. Please only constructive replies.

Bane.

Last edited by a moderator:

bane

Master
Formula 303 + organic chamomile + homemade relaxing body oils = no more insomnia.
Against my better judgement i am going to Google that. Hoping it's legal

EDIT: Looks like it is legal :D. Will try it out thanks.

Infectious

Master
Whoa really thats odd ive never heard about the boat thing either... and to make it not allowed to fire upon someone on land because they use a different client than me seems a bit ******** also.......

bane

Master
Whoa really thats odd ive never heard about the bout thing either... and to make it not allowed to fire upon someone on land because they use a different client than me seems a bit ******** also.......
Not trying to debate the rule mentioned in my main post. It was an example of inconsistent communication. Essentially most of the server probably no longer knows all the rules and there is no longer a correct list to point them at.

Just make players on land untargetable from a boat. Problem solved.

See.my reply above this quote. Don't care that much about the new rule I just want these things communicated to the entire playerbase.

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
It seems we are expected to be in IRC 24/7 to know what staff says in it as far as rules go. Things do need to be established and announced a lot more professionally and openly. Telling only certain people keeps those people ahead of the game and others in the game.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
Were you jailed over this?
A staff member may have asked you not to do this but it isn't stated in our rules, there for it isn't a rule.

IMO Sallos is what it is and use at your own risk.
It's a pvp client that we don't put on top of the priority list for changes since it affects only part of the community, as opposed to using that time fixing issues, or implementing new content which is for the entire community.

bane

Master
A staff member may have asked you not to do this but it isn't stated in our rules, there for it isn't a rule.

It's a pvp client that we don't put on top of the priority list for changes since it affects only part of the community, as opposed to using that time fixing issues, or implementing new content which is for the entire community.
No nothing bad happened to me. A member of my guild was told by @Adam (not as awesome as @eppy but still pretty great) that we weren't allowed to bring boats to IDOCs because it would crash Sallos users on a cannon volley. I see @Adam response as a measured action based on the situation at hand (even though I disagree with it). As far as I know only warnings to not do it were given out. This is also second hand as I wasn't present which is the point of this post.

But talking about this one rule wasn't what I was trying to talk about here. What I wanted to address was the lack of effective communication with the majority of the player base and it sounds like between staff members in between staff meetings. I fully understand that staff members need to be empowered to take action to mitigate problems that arise and their decisions will not always be correct (still like you @Adam). This is why we need some guidelines around documenting these permanent rule changes as well as the temporary, can become permanent if @Shane agrees, rule changes that lower level staff make. This way @Shane will have an opportunity to review the decision in the context that it was made instead of hearing about from a player prior to @Adam explaining fully his reasoning. Additionally the player base will know not do something until a final decision is made.

EDIT: Sorry @eppy for the confusion but I guess this kinda highlights my main point.
EDIT2: I don't know @Adam well enough to love him (at the like stage currently). Give it time.

Faytality

Staff member
No nothing bad happened to me. A member of my guild was told by @eppy (still love you man because you are awesome) that we weren't allowed to bring boats to IDOCs because it would crash Sallos users on a cannon volley. I see @eppy response as a measured action based on the situation at hand (even though I disagree with it). As far as I know only warnings to not do it were given out. This is also second hand as I wasn't present which is the point of this post.

But talking about this one rule wasn't what I was trying to talk about here. What I wanted to address was the lack of effective communication with the majority of the player base and it sounds like between staff members in between staff meetings. I fully understand that staff members need to be empowered to take action to mitigate problems that arise and their decisions will not always be correct (still love you @eppy). This is why we need some guidelines around documenting these permanent rule changes as well as the temporary, can become permanent if @Shane agrees, rule changes that lower level staff make. This way @Shane will have an opportunity to review the decision in the context that it was made instead of hearing about from a player prior to @eppy explaining fully his reasoning. Additionally the player base will know not do something if only temporarily.
Adam not Eppy

bane

Master

I am willing to help update that Rules page. Sent you PM with my credentials.