Well, it finally happened...macros and hotkeys went poof.

Fresh start, Razor or Steam?

• Total voters

Bromista

Grandmaster
Tabula rasa.

I never backed stuff up because there wasn't much point. I've had ambitions of re-working my hotkeys and macros for months but have been too lazy to do it. Well, not anymore! It looks like the decision was made for me.

If you had to do it all over again, what would you do? I've heard minor pros and cons about each program and I'm not sure which route to go. Someone correct me if I'm wrong I'm just gonna do a short list as I really don't have too much knowledge as to the ins and outs of both programs.

Steam:
Better organizer, or at least functionality when building into a macro (i.e. crafting).
Might be a little confusing at first but once understood can make better/more intricate macros than Razor.
Doesn't crash as often as Razor while dual clienting (or so I hear).
Better map.
Anything else?

Razor:
Disarm/re-arm equip speed is faster than Steam (or so I hear).
So easy a child could use it.
Well, I'm very familiar with it already. That's a plus.

Thoughts? Additions?

Last edited by a moderator:

God.RG

Grandmaster
I opened razor last night to macro a char elsewhere and I immediately wondered how/why I went so long without steam.
Razor is garbage.

Greed

Master
Make the switch to UOSteam. It'll be a bit rough at first but once you get the hang of it you'll never go back.

There's so many cool features too man...for example: you can put all your spell icons on your screen and they work for every character and won't close if you right click on them. So you only have to put your spells on your screen one time and never worry about them ever closing or redoing them for a new character ever again. Also, the icons lock in place so they won't move around if you accidentally drag them with your left, and they are even clickable too. Pretty nifty eh? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Humble_Shark

Apprentice
So I saw this, as I'm setting my hotkeys up for the first time (ever).

I'm not attached to Razor, maybe I'll try UOSteam.

I just want something that is going to be universal for all my characters.

Is there a tutorial on Steam? Razor had a great one on YouTube.

Gosh

Neophyte
The only thing UOSteam lacks is a video tutorial but it is very easy to use tbh, you can code simple macros by reading this: http://uosteam.com/documentation

Reading other ppl's macro is also a great learning process, after taking a read on the basic documentation stuff.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Right on. A lot of macros are copy and paste too if you're having trouble getting the hang of it so I guess in that regard it could be considered easier to use than Razor.

halygon

Grandmaster
Right on. A lot of macros are copy and paste too if you're having trouble getting the hang of it so I guess in that regard it could be considered easier to use than Razor.
UOSteam FTW every time IMO. Spell grid, map, interface, stability, multiple profiles, friends system, flexibility, and macros (let's not forget a macro system that actually allows for editing macros) are all great reasons that UOS beats Razor.

If you need help with any UOSteam macros let me know - I am a UOS macro ninja.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Cool thanks for additional input. When I get into the swing of things I'll PM you and ask for the advice (looks like I'll be making the switch after all) on some advanced stuff. I see myself wanting to do a lot more than just copy/paste. I'll get the basics from guildies and set up the majority of my hotkeys and basic macros first before learning how to do tricky shit.

Oh here's a big one: are there any important settings that need tweaked/feeatures that need unchecked like in Razor? Stuff like resource usage and priorities and that kinda shiz?

halygon

Grandmaster
Oh here's a big one: are there any important settings that need tweaked/feeatures that need unchecked like in Razor? Stuff like resource usage and priorities and that kinda shiz?
Not really, remember UOSteam is actually compatible with new operating systems. Any settings you use are either your preference or are based on your ping (ie there is a delay setting just like on razor).

Kael

Master
I have been trying out UOsteam as well... it is a bit confusing but it certainly seems worth the effort

Bromista

Grandmaster
Nice.

It was always strange to me that I needed to tell razor how to set my client priority and resource usage. That stuff should be automatic.

halygon

Grandmaster
Nice.

It was always strange to me that I needed to tell razor how to set my client priority and resource usage. That stuff should be automatic.
And guess what? You can use windows transparency themes again. In fact no windows visual settings should affect UOSteam functionality.

Magpie

Adept
Does UOSteam's title bar still suck? The font size is stupid small and hard to read. Also no custom colors in the title bar.. Makes bandage timers real hard to see. Any solution there?

halygon

Grandmaster
Does UOSteam's title bar still suck? The font size is stupid small and hard to read. Also no custom colors in the title bar.. Makes bandage timers real hard to see. Any solution there?
Bandage timers? I've never used a bandage timer in uosteam... I didn't even know it had that option. I made my own so I could make the messages appear above my head or in the corner with sys messages. I can also color it whatever I want so it is easier to keep track of. But you may choose to do it differently.

The font size is determined by your windows display settings NOT by UOSteam. I prefer my uosteam title bar over razors any day. Guess that part is preference though.

Bandage timers? I've never used a bandage timer in uosteam... I didn't even know it had that option. I made my own so I could make the messages appear above my head or in the corner with sys messages. I can also color it whatever I want so it is easier to keep track of. But you may choose to do it differently.

The font size is determined by your windows display settings NOT by UOSteam. I prefer my uosteam title bar over razors any day. Guess that part is preference though.

Ooo. Please share. I've been wondering how to do an on screen bandage timer.

halygon

Grandmaster
Ooo. Please share. I've been wondering how to do an on screen bandage timer.
I can't give away all my secrets!!

But it is pretty simple if you think about it. Might be a good chance for you to explore the macro features of UOSteam and see what you can do.

I will help you debug if you post a macro that you are working on and explain what you are wanting it to do.

thestand

Grandmaster
I can't give away all my secrets!!

But it is pretty simple if you think about it. Might be a good chance for you to explore the macro features of UOSteam and see what you can do.

I will help you debug if you post a macro that you are working on and explain what you are wanting it to do.

Someone call Eric Snowden. We need them secrets.