Well, it finally happened...macros and hotkeys went poof.

Fresh start, Razor or Steam?

• Total voters

Bromista

Grandmaster
Man, I know the results here are overwhelming but I'm still torn...

Part of me wants to get familiarized with Steam and part of me just wants to bang out a bunch of Razor macros real fast (can't properly play for days anyhow) so I can get back to it when the time comes for substantial gameplay instead of spending a whole day learning Steam. And I would too even if there wasn't a days worth of stuff to learn, I'm thorough to a fault like that.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Also just checked results again and Razor has made a resounding comeback. I think it was like 9-2 before now it's about even.

Ugh. You guys were supposed to make this easy for me!

halygon

Grandmaster
Also just checked results again and Razor has made a resounding comeback. I think it was like 9-2 before now it's about even.

Ugh. You guys were supposed to make this easy for me!
Not to insult folks, but the majority of human kind are sheep. They follow what they are told. We are taught this in CHL class. The ones that think for themselves are the game changers.. The ones that actually progress in life.

So what I'm saying is - you can't go by polls -- you need to determine what is best for you.

I can't give away all my secrets!!

But it is pretty simple if you think about it. Might be a good chance for you to explore the macro features of UOSteam and see what you can do.

I will help you debug if you post a macro that you are working on and explain what you are wanting it to do.

Your post made me finally try to the jump to UO Steam. Got all my macros setup AND I managed to make the on-screen bandage timer. So awesome. :)

Bruno D

Adept
Try them both and see which you prefer they both have pros and cons it may depend on what you are doing in game.

Gosh

Neophyte
I'd list the following reasons for using UOSteam:
  • Active developers and supportive community
  • Spell grid and loot grid system
  • Agents works perfectly and hardly bug, Razor skip items from Organizer and Restock frequently
  • Faster and smoother, learning macros isn't difficult as long as you take time to read the documentation you can create flexible macros, you can learn a lot by asking on their forums and reading other's scripts, and no, you don't need much automation to play, it is possible to keep your macros simple
  • Targets won't bug, while using Razor I experienced several times range check bugs, the target was set standing right next to me and I couldn't drop the target
  • MapUO is better than UOPositioning because it allows you to see guild members too
  • Others speech color filter is very useful and death filter actually works, could'nt see colors while dead using Razor
  • Reduce CPU usage works, Razor's won't reduce but increase instead

In short, use Razor if you don't care about the features above or ping low so it won't make much difference when it comes to stability and smoothness, otherwise go for UOSteam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bromista

Grandmaster
I'd list the following reasons for using UOSteam:
  • Active developers and supportive community
  • Spell grid and loot grid system
  • Agents works perfectly and hardly bug, Razor skip items from Organizer and Restock frequently
  • Faster and smoother, learning macros isn't difficult as long as you take time to read their documentation you can create flexible macros, you can learn a lot asking on their forums and reading other's scripts, and no, you don't need much automation to play, it is possible to keep your macros simple
  • Targets won't bug, while using Razor I experienced serveral times range check bugs, the target was set standing right next to me and I couldn't drop the target
  • MapUO is better than UOPositioning because it allows you to see guild members too
  • Others speech color filter is very useful and death filter actually works, could'nt see colors while dead using Razor
  • Reduce CPU usage works, Razor's won't reduce but increase instead

In short, use Razor if you don't care about the features above or ping low so it won't make much difference when it comes to stability and smoothness, otherwise go for UOSteam.
Very hepful thank you!

I've decided to give Steam a try, worst case scenario I go back to what I'm familiar with ;)

halygon

Grandmaster
So wait is Steam allow again now? last i heard it was illegal.
Back on January 13th they un-banned it to work with the new version (at that time).

http://uoforum.com/threads/patch-notes-january-13th-2014.25285/#post-150837

So yeah, since January 20th or so(when the compatible version of UOSteam was released: http://uoforum.com/threads/uosteam-has-been-updated.26058/) it has been allowed. It has had some of its features nerfed to put it on the same playing field as Razor, which is fine.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Couldn't do Steam. I couldn't get the screen size to cooperate and work properly with my display and living room setup (I play from my couch) so my paperdoll and pack were microscopic on my television. It would have been impossible. But it's o.k. because I managed to find my razor hotkeys and macros in the process.

Not sure wtf happened. Now I have an excuse to be lazy and not fix the inconsistencies and quarks of my profiles :)