What gets ppl PvPing?

mynameis

Adept
I'm not a PvPer, wouldn't call myself any good. I've killed under 20 people, about half were people that attacked me first, the other half were blues that deserved it.

I assume most people start UO and other games as PvMers and something changes, or they're already PvPers on another game and come here. I'm just wondering what makes that change.

I've been finding myself wanting to attack random people this past week, haven't done it, but pretty it's happening and I think this is why:

1. Boredom is part of it, kinda getting old doing the same old routines. PKs kinda spice up actually, even tho I think it's bullshit to kill me if you run in and see I'm already almost dead, or if I just recalled in and 3 pks (or 2 precast explosions) are already on me, etc. Don't get me wrong, I hate dying period, but the part before that is a nice change if its a real fight.

2. PvP is a lot more challenging, adrenaline kicks in sometimes that monsters rarely do anymore. If I won 51%+ of the time I'm pretty sure I'd like it. Just moving the bar up really.

3. Sometimes I'm just pissed I get PK'd especially if its more than once, then I don't want to go to places I know there's a good chance of getting PK'd *again* so I just feel like killing someone else cuz it seems fun and safer. And if I'm going to die, I'd rather deserve it by attacking someone first.

While typing this up I kinda realized maybe murder isn't the answer. Maybe some friends and doing things socially instead of always solo. I think I saw something like this on TV, "maybe if had more hobbies and friends he wouldn't have killed anyone, he was always getting picked on and had so much anger" lol then again they say man is the most challenging beast to hunt ;)

Harken110

Expert
I'm not a PvPer, wouldn't call myself any good. I've killed under 20 people, about half were people that attacked me first, the other half were blues that deserved it.

I assume most people start UO and other games as PvMers and something changes, or they're already PvPers on another game and come here. I'm just wondering what makes that change.

I've been finding myself wanting to attack random people this past week, haven't done it, but pretty it's happening and I think this is why:

1. Boredom is part of it, kinda getting old doing the same old routines. PKs kinda spice up actually, even tho I think it's bullshit to kill me if you run in and see I'm already almost dead, or if I just recalled in and 3 pks (or 2 precast explosions) are already on me, etc. Don't get me wrong, I hate dying period, but the part before that is a nice change if its a real fight.

2. PvP is a lot more challenging, adrenaline kicks in sometimes that monsters rarely do anymore. If I won 51%+ of the time I'm pretty sure I'd like it. Just moving the bar up really.

3. Sometimes I'm just pissed I get PK'd especially if its more than once, then I don't want to go to places I know there's a good chance of getting PK'd *again* so I just feel like killing someone else cuz it seems fun and safer. And if I'm going to die, I'd rather deserve it by attacking someone first.

While typing this up I kinda realized maybe murder isn't the answer. Maybe some friends and doing things socially instead of always solo. I think I saw something like this on TV, "maybe if had more hobbies and friends he wouldn't have killed anyone, he was always getting picked on and had so much anger" lol then again they say man is the most challenging beast to hunt ;)

PPL like competition and people pvp for the rush. However, on this server the pvp isn't that great. Group pvp is pretty much one-sided where as most groups are mage/stun/scribe. The problem with pvp here is that there is no diversity, which makes it boring. There are not a lot of dexxers and next to none archers, macers, parriers, LJ out there. Because of this I tend to do PVM stuff but like you said I tend to get bored of it now and then.

Right now I am trying crafting stuff but the problem is most of the gear is made towards tje melee classes. The only thing a mage needs is leather armor and really a good mage can do without that. Since as I stated that most people here pvp as a mage, there is no armor counter to magery therefore, there is no need for defense gear as a mage or against one. If you're a dexxer you can literally fight naked but with a good weapon since that's all it matters if you're up against a mage. At least this is what I observe, since I don't really pvp much here.

thestand

Grandmaster
PPL like competition and people pvp for the rush. However, on this server the pvp isn't that great. Group pvp is pretty much one-sided where as most groups are mage/stun/scribe. The problem with pvp here is that there is no diversity, which makes it boring. There are not a lot of dexxers and next to none archers, macers, parriers, LJ out there. Because of this I tend to do PVM stuff but like you said I tend to get bored of it now and then.

Right now I am trying crafting stuff but the problem is most of the gear is made towards tje melee classes. The only thing a mage needs is leather armor and really a good mage can do without that. Since as I stated that most people here pvp as a mage, there is no armor counter to magery therefore, there is no need for defense gear as a mage or against one. If you're a dexxer you can literally fight naked but with a good weapon since that's all it matters if you're up against a mage. At least this is what I observe, since I don't really pvp much here.
Lol, this guy has no clue what's going on.....

Gedron

Master
Get out there and fight OP, this shard needs more pvp. I love pvp'in but my issue with it on this shard is it's seemingly impossible to kill or be killed 1v1. Every 1v1 I end up in turns into whoever runs out of regs/pots first and then they offscreen until they can recall and bolt. I think this encourages the group ganking I always see.

mynameis

Adept
Group ganking sucks but it seems like the way things are done often enough. Turns out almost everyone that gets killed logs onto 2nd acct and/or calls in buddies. Guess this is considered a strategy and something I should be doing =\

parsnip

Grandmaster
Group ganking sucks but it seems like the way things are done often enough.

I wonder if there is some way to limit the number of concurrent attackers against a single player (e.g. limit at 3v1). I don't PvP myself, so I'm not sure how exactly the mechanics would work but it would be interesting to hear from the PvP enthusiasts. Is this a totally terrible idea or could it bring some balance and add a greater skill/co-ordination requirement?

gucci mane

Apprentice
I wonder if there is some way to limit the number of concurrent attackers against a single player (e.g. limit at 3v1). I don't PvP myself, so I'm not sure how exactly the mechanics would work but it would be interesting to hear from the PvP enthusiasts. Is this a totally terrible idea or could it bring some balance and add a greater skill/co-ordination requirement?
adding restrictions to a free sandbox world is usually the opposite of what you should do as a rule of thumb

if people are gonna gank they are gonna gank

even if they cant do damage, how are you gonna prevent 3+ people from body-blocking or casting wall of stone or dropping furniture or dropping a swarm of tamed and released animals in your way? ;)

that idea just wouldn't work :(

Gedron

Master
Group ganking sucks but it seems like the way things are done often enough. Turns out almost everyone that gets killed logs onto 2nd acct and/or calls in buddies. Guess this is considered a strategy and something I should be doing =\

I feel that stems from the issue of pvp being SO defensively structured that you're almost required to have a group gank. I would even go so far as to say there is no reason you should die in field 1v1 against a mage. I believe spell damage needs a major boost and casting times need reduction.

Drake Roberts

Grandmaster
Q. What gets ppl pvping?

A. Rare items obtained in high risk areas like the champ spawn area (If it had the no recall zone like OSI, something like spider cave it would be better imo) that drop from a single rare mob. Just watch once Tinkering Scrolls come out and are in high demand.. The champ spawn scene will become relevant again and will be a hot bed for pvp action as different groups fight each other over the chance at the first Tinkering Scrolls. Same thing with the Legendary hammer, if it is done right, could create tons of potential pvp action. You have to have the new and most relevant items drop from a single rare mob (similar to a champ spawn format), in an area that is very high risk (Especially a no recall zone). This makes pvp happen.

I was macroing a stun mage in Tera Keep last night and saw a tamer. I contemplated attacking him for a bit as he solo'd a paragon balron. I think what made me attack is I wanted that adrenaline rush. Explode explode and a successful stun and EB on him did the trick. It was quite the thrill. Sorry Mr. Tamer about those dragons that died. They fought well.

gucci mane

Apprentice
I was macroing a stun mage in Tera Keep last night and saw a tamer. I contemplated attacking him for a bit as he solo'd a paragon balron. I think what made me attack is I wanted that adrenaline rush. Explode explode and a successful stun and EB on him did the trick. It was quite the thrill. Sorry Mr. Tamer about those dragons that died. They fought well.
true that. fuck the loot, it's all about the fight and the thrill

the loot just lets you fight more

Gedron

Master
Q. What gets ppl pvping?

A. Rare items obtained in high risk areas like the champ spawn area (If it had the no recall zone like OSI, something like spider cave it would be better imo) that drop from a single rare mob. Just watch once Tinkering Scrolls come out and are in high demand.. The champ spawn scene will become relevant again and will be a hot bed for pvp action as different groups fight each other over the chance at the first Tinkering Scrolls. Same thing with the Legendary hammer, if it is done right, could create tons of potential pvp action. You have to have the new and most relevant items drop from a single rare mob (similar to a champ spawn format), in an area that is very high risk (Especially a no recall zone). This makes pvp happen.

I definitely think there should be more no recall zones. High loot, high risk. This would encourage more reds to hit those spots and encourage more blues looking to pk hunt to go there to find them. Have the high-end mobs in there have a chance to drop some sort of rare (preferably a consumable) and watch the hordes flock there.