What skill to choose?

Glen

Neophyte
Hi!

I'm quite new here, but started to plan out a crafter and go at it as soon as I can afford to buy a small shack somewhere. I'm not sure what skills to choose (read the wiki) so I'd like some advice on that.

For sure I want:
120 smithy
120 tailor
120 mining

Then I can choose 2 I the following:
Carpentry
Fletching
Tinkering

And I'll go with Magery on top of that.

I'm thinking fletching could be neat when colored woods get, also I love to play archers and fletching as a profession has (from what i recall) less competition.

I don't really recall what I could use tinkering for (lockable stuff? :>) and carpentry doesn't strike me as very exciting. Pls feel free to prove me wrong!

Lots of questions.. I haven't played in quite a few years so I hope you can be patient with me!

Cheers!

Tinkering will be useful for making tools for your other skills. I highly recommend it. If you are going to go with magery, I would say carpentry as your last skill. You can make some pretty neat house deco with carpentry and magery/smithy/tailor.

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
If you are going to take blacksmith to 120 I'm pretty sure you also need 120 tinkering to start the legendary crafter quest. Not sure if you can go up to someone else's Soul Forge (most people who have one make it public) and still make legendary stuff, or if you need your own. If you just want 120 blacksmith to give yourself a better chance at crafting regular things, then ignore all this. See this page:

http://www.uoforum.com/wiki/legendary-crafting-starting-out/

Also for a crafter consider only taking magery to 80 -- it will allow you to recall (100% chance), mark runes (70% chance, if it fails just do it again), but gate travel only 35% chance. But really you don't need to gate if you're just moving yourself around crafting things, gates are for other players to go through. I don't even have magery on my crafter, I just have a runebook and stock it with recall scrolls, and save myself the 100 points. I have my main character go around marking runes that I want then give them to my crafter.

You may also want Lumberjacking, either on this character or another one, so you can go around collecting all those fancy new woods for yourself instead of buying second-hand. Consider making a dexxer with lumberjacking though, it's a cool damage bonus when you use axes with him (35%) plus you can defend yourself out in the wild hacking trees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glen

Neophyte
Thanks guys!

Well, I read about the legendary crafter thingy before but the items don't strike me as something worth pursuing, unless they are worth a lot of cash. And by the time I'm 2x120 they probably dropped anyway :). I have no idea really. Tinkering seems useful anyway, with the tools.

So I guess I'll choose between carpentry and fletching then. Any love for fletching at all?

And thanks for the Magery tip. I did make a Lumber/dexxer for the exact reasons you mentioned :)

Dellan

Grandmaster
Combat mules are fun! I had 5x dexer with mining and lj.. Funny to watch that red when he came for free ingots and ended up with axe in his face. I'm not a crafter, but I'd go with fletching, provo archers are most used template here, that means most money in slayer bows.