Why aren't guild sizes limited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orgha

Apprentice
Don't know if it's been said but say you limit guilds to 20.
Whats to stop a guild like eqms making alt guilds like eqms 2, eqms 3....
Limiting guild numbers would do very little imo.

There are several ways of handling this. The one i mentioned in the op was to not allow two or more unallianced guilds from attacking the same target. It could even be made where unallianced guilds can't perform helpful skills or spells on each Other effectively rendering any branches of a formally massive clan useless to combat. I suppose they could refuse to attack each but that's really not the point.

The point isn't to force everyone to PvP with their former friends. The point is to force people to identify their true friends and back them. Sure some social butterflies here have more than 25 friends. But I bet most people commonly hang with under that number. The number can be adjusted. Whatever makes most sense. 25 is just a suggestion.

Another option is to have larger guilds pay a king's tax in excess of the limit..

Say up to 25 is tax free
25 to 50 guild is required to pay a tax of 10k per member over 25 but under 50.
50 to 100 50k per member over 50 but under 100.

Hard limit could be set or just an upper end tax bracket.

Don't take the numbers literally. Just picked to show an example.

This acts as a gold sink for larger guilds. The tax could be one time (suggest higher more like 100k+) or periodic. If periodic and the guild fails to pay the youngest members are removed until the tax is paid.

Orgha

Apprentice
When 2 large crews fight, its the greatest thing UO has to offer... theres many large crews on UOF now(POWER, EQMS, $, Trin, STANK, TBA, etc) why try to put some artificial limits instead of leaving it upto the community.

p.s.

for those who try to say EQMS mass recruits, which other guild charges members a join fee?

Two large guilds battling can be fun to a point. Let's say the 25 figure is adopted. That means technically 50 folks could be in combat at once or 25vs25. Can't say i have seen a battle between two organized clans exceeding that number. Do you honestly expect to have a 100v100?? Or 100v1? The effect of 25v1 or 25v25 would be comparable.

This also forces guilds to pick their members more wisely and not just recruit every tom,dick, and harry.

Slick Brick

Grandmaster
EQMS is hands down the largest guild on the server, sorry. The max amount of people I've ever seen PCH have on running together at one time was 10, and that was ONCE, EQMS had 13-16 at that IDOC the other day, easy and you will pretty much never catch them with less than 8 running together. Don't take this as a complaint because I'm just calling it like I have seen it.

The only problem with a guild getting that large is that every single person who is solo and tired of getting jumped flocks straight towards it because of the typical strength in numbers and the "we recruit anyone for gold" policy. I think you have plenty of members and should stop recruiting, who wants to split an IDOC 19 ways? However I do see your side as to why you keep recruiting.

1.) It makes the game very easy and near impossible to lose any major fight because of the simple fact of strength in numbers.
2.) Free gold, hey why not.

But what happens when theres 300 people online, and 100 of them are EQMS? Honestly makes the game kind of boring. I live for the even, or close number fights though.. so much fun. It does take some effort though to get a guild that large and keep people staying, so kudos to you buddy.

EDIT: However, 25 people in a guild is honestly kind of ridiculous. Just because you have 25 people in a guild doesn't mean they'll ever all be on at the same time. I'd say you can expect 20% of a guild to be on at any given time which is 5 people. Not everyone likes to do the same thing either, which is the beauty of Ultima Online. I think that might be a little low but who knows.

Orgha

Apprentice
EQMS is hands down the largest guild on the server, sorry. The max amount of people I've ever seen PCH have on running together at one time was 10, and that was ONCE, EQMS had 13-16 at that IDOC the other day, easy and you will pretty much never catch them with less than 8 running together. Don't take this as a complaint because I'm just calling it like I have seen it.

The only problem with a guild getting that large is that every single person who is solo and tired of getting jumped flocks straight towards it because of the typical strength in numbers and the "we recruit anyone for gold" policy. I think you have plenty of members and should stop recruiting, who wants to split an IDOC 19 ways? However I do see your side as to why you keep recruiting.

1.) It makes the game very easy and near impossible to lose any major fight because of the simple fact of strength in numbers.
2.) Free gold, hey why not.

But what happens when theres 300 people online, and 100 of them are EQMS? Honestly makes the game kind of boring. I live for the even, or close number fights though.. so much fun. It does take some effort though to get a guild that large and keep people staying, so kudos to you buddy.

EDIT: However, 25 people in a guild is honestly kind of ridiculous. Just because you have 25 people in a guild doesn't mean they'll ever all be on at the same time. I'd say you can expect 20% of a guild to be on at any given time which is 5 people. Not everyone likes to do the same thing either, which is the beauty of Ultima Online. I think that might be a little low but who knows.

That's a fair point that not everyone would be logged on at once. I would defer to GMs for exact numbers that would work. The 25 and other numbers are picked somewhat at random. GMs would have better data than us to determine optimal numbers. Might be 50 or 100. But definitely not the 300 to 400+ some guilds have now.

Baby Blue

Master
Sounds like the end of zErgQMS

They can still easily get around this by adding one another to 'Friends' list, since all they do is eb/closest anyways.

Im against limiting numbers in guilds.
I agree. You can't limit guild sizes just like that. I don't think it's very wise either. EQMS might be a zerg guild but they provide a lot of action. Getting rid of them won't do any good for the shard in my opinion.

Either fight back or join them... There's always a choice. In fact, the only way to get rid of eqms would be banning their leader.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve-o

Grandmaster
I agree. You can't limit guild sizes just like that. I don't think it's very wise either. EQMS might be a zerg guild but they provide a lot of action. Getting rid of them won't do any good for the shard in my opinion.

Either fight back or join them... There's always a choice. In fact, the only way to get rid of eqms would be banning their leader.
power and $ are the only "stupid" people trying to fight 3v10... anyone else would just log!

zerg is bad for server... simple!
before eqms came back and started mass recruiting there was a LOT of faction pvp... now everyone is bored of fightin 10-15 noobs that eb/fs closest target

Malkraven

Grandmaster
limliting Guild size will have no impact what so ever to many ways around it. Everyone dies to a 15 strong eqms zerg is it gay? yes just throw ya kboard around abit, laugh and restock.

As someone elese said they wll just add every one to friends list and carry on

Baby Blue

Master
power and $ are the only "stupid" people trying to fight 3v10... anyone else would just log!

zerg is bad for server... simple!
before eqms came back and started mass recruiting there was a LOT of faction pvp... now everyone is bored of fightin 10-15 noobs that eb/fs closest target
When you get a kill in 3 vs. 10 or something, it's a nice feeling, isn't it? :) And if you die, you know it wasn't a fair fight.

I think gluttony should stop recruiting for a while. It's up to him though.

Fattson

Grandmaster
When you get a kill in 3 vs. 10 or something, it's a nice feeling, isn't it? :) And if you die, you know it wasn't a fair fight.

I don't see that happening. Anything is possible, I reckon.

steve-o

Grandmaster

tell me who would really fight 3v10 knowing that they will die surely 20 times in 1 evening?

zergs are bad simple

Baby Blue

Master
tell me who would really fight 3v10 knowing that they will die surely 20 times in 1 evening?

zergs are bad simple
Yesterday, me and @K A Z fought them 2 vs.4 and 2 vs. 5 in brit without pets. We "lost the battle" but we killed some of them as well. @K A Z actually lost his connection middle of the 2nd fight so we had to stop. It was pretty fun.

If I play alone and there's 3-4 guys chasing me, it's a zerg. If some solo pk is in Destard and 5 tamers are chasing him, it's a zerg... Right? In my opinion 3 vs. 1 and 9 vs. 3 are about the same.

Anyway, I agree about "zergs are bad" but there isn't an easy way to get rid of them. :( Changing the game mechanics isn't going to help.

Shortbus

Grandmaster
Also something to take into consideration on these large guild numbers is alts...everyone has 3 accounts with at least 3 characters per. Most join the same guild. Are you saying that you want to have only X number of your characters allowed per guild as well?

You see the large numbers but you also have to take that into account. If a guild has 900 people, that could be 100 different people with 9 characters each. Plus theres extra char slot tokens, some older accts (when only 2 were allowed) have 4 chars per, etc.

Im not saying this is right or wrong...but by limiting this basically you will have a flock of thousands (literally) of new guilds and you are still going to have the 15 man zerg crews as they will put the most active into that group.

Just my .02 cents...heres a nickel, keep the change.

Slick Brick

Grandmaster
Let's be honest, the days of people actually having a ballsack and going out solo killing people are sadly over. It's who can speed-dial 911 and call the most people in on here.

Edit: It's really funny watching someone come solo, and as soon as you cast anything except Recall and look like you might fight back you see them running to where they know their 4 buddies are coming in at.

K A Z

Grandmaster

zergs are bad simple

it ain't over till its over, man. Killing one when its 1v5 is way better than winning any fair number fight.

#bebrave
#fightoutnumbered
#nevergivein

steve-o

Grandmaster
The Mighty @K A Z would fight 10v1 all day long

Probably cos its someone else butler but hey
$ and power (kaz or all the other aussie) are the only 2 guild that would fight 3v10 without problems

noone else would do it!

zergs are bad! but since this is what uof is now... we must adapt and zerg

we always ty to gank kaz 6v1 but he is a good runner :) really hard to gank him

lollo

Grandmaster
$ and power (kaz or all the other aussie) are the only 2 guild that would fight 3v10 without problems

noone else would do it!

zergs are bad! but since this is what uof is now... we must adapt and zerg

we always ty to gank kaz 6v1 but he is a good runner :) really hard to gank him

german speedhacks. He's the only euro with 120 ping that can outrun americans that ping 16

Status
Not open for further replies.