Winged Boots! Boots that behave like an ethy and let you run at mount speed

parsnip

Grandmaster
As a donation or gold sink item, boots (or a cape with go-faster stripes) which let you run at mount speed but require you to "mount" them as an ethy would.

Why? Because I likes the running animation, that's why. Give this root vegetable some wings!

*prepares for onslaught of abuse*

AlyM

Grandmaster
As long as it takes a follower slot, and has "spell casting" timer like ethys - HELLL YEAH

I would LOVE this

wreckognize

Grandmaster
hate to shit all over this idea but lets be honest, it's a pretty good tool for noto pks
(for those who don't know what I'm referring to it is the act of killing newer players by tricking them into attacking you first in order to avoid murder counts.)

so the problem is that new players will not realize that the user is able to run at mount speed and get totally pwnt, never to return to the field again.

Even with the keen racing stripes these winged boots would still cause mass problems. (hilarious fun really at the expense of a healthy population)

Faytality

Staff member
Boots of Haste? Now there's an idea. I can see Wreckognize's point though. If this idea was implemented there should be a distinct way to identify the user is wearing them.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Haney-boo-baneys input is usually pretty awful but he makes a strong point in this instance.

Shocking, I know, but this suggestion really is grief city waiting to happen.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Haney B. Baney noooo rikey
gold-mine-in-panompa-tha-007.jpg

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
So you're saying that someone will quit if they thought the person they were attacking couldn't run as fast as them if shit goes south?

And that's a good enough reason to say nah to then idea?

signature field is blank

Bromista

Grandmaster
Clearly these wouldn't be usable in no mount areas and there would not be an advantage solely regarding function, but I'd rather see consistent appearances because it could be an advantage based on that alone.

Not game-breaking, but I think that's a good enough reason to pass.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
there's really no way around it, you'd basically have to make the boots look like the player is riding a mount to make them non-abusable.

Besides, what do winged boots really have to do with movement speed?

Shouldn't they have the ability to make the wearer float at a slightly higher z axis? And hence not need to even display the running animation??

@parsnip I think you have winged boots confused with boots of speed.

LuposDavalte

Neophyte
Absolutely not.

Whilst this sounds relatively harmless, in reality the way the run animation works would result in the wearer of these boots skip around the screen, making them almost impossible to chase effectively.

I read the comments on this thread, expected this mutant vegetable to be crushed by trolls... I am most disappointed!

FingersFinn

Grandmaster
I hope you don't mean boots that you don't ever "dismount" from. That would be waaaayyy to OP.

Actually, scratch that. Hook me up with some of those badboys for my thieves. Stealth at mount speed? Hell yeah.

All joking aside, I get the idea and it's always nice to have folks thinking of new ways to enhance the UOF world. However, this would be game breaking in so many ways.

A more viable option would be for the boots to make the wearer immune to EQ damage.

Then again, I would love to stealth around at mount speed. My god, the loot I would aquire. o_O

parsnip

Grandmaster
I hope you don't mean boots that you don't ever "dismount" from. That would be waaaayyy to OP.

I probably should have been more specific when I said the boots should "behave like an ethy". Of course you would have to "dismount". As you say, otherwise it would be horribly OP :p

Anyway, I think there has been sufficient naysaying for this never to happen. Thanks for all your comments folks. I'll get back to the drawing board ;)