A Possible Solution to The Problem of PvP

Winstonian

Grandmaster
UO PVP always cater groups its a open world you can bring as much ppl you want thats always cater big groups.

UO of 1998 isnt UO 2018 its just diffrent games dosnt matter what you change you cant turn back the time.
Numbers are an advantage, of course, but there are absolutely things that can be implemented to provide incentive for all players, which would change that narrative completely (and for the better). And claiming that "UO isn't for you" if you don't want to participate in a PvP structure as a solo player isn't reasonable.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
I don't think there is an issue with someone firing out an idea or suggesting a change. But insulting groups of players for their play style, insinuating cheating and uttering antagonizing or childish taunts like "elite pvper" and "leet" isn't going to win you support or add any credibility to your suggestion.
Check back. Read through. You want to talk about "insulting groups of players for their play style" and "uttering antagonizing or childish taunts"? I don't start that nonsense, but I'm not going to sit back when it's clearly accepted here. And, no, I don't just insinuate cheating. Cheating has happened here many times in the past (and by some of the more known individuals and groups), and players/groups have been banned accordingly. That's no insinuation; that's fact.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Like the idea or not, the heat Winstonian is catching is weak as fuck lol

Sorry you had a thought, man.

Hey at least a staff member was interested in having a discussion?
I really appreciate that members of the staff have been reasonable, despite the amount of negativity here. Not only that, but Swayze even proposed his own idea to further incentivize militias. Clearly he didn't feel that my intentions here were as out-of-line as some are making it out to be.

I happened to be on for the Easter egg search. The number of unique players running around Brit was amazing. I just imagine 1/4 of those players joining in some of the structured PvP here, and what that would do for UOF. It's not something to disregard, and it's not impossible: it's something that is easily attainable, and that needs to be explored.

Zog'orium

Grandmaster
Check back. Read through. You want to talk about "insulting groups of players for their play style" and "uttering antagonizing or childish taunts"? I don't start that nonsense, but I'm not going to sit back when it's clearly accepted here. And, no, I don't just insinuate cheating. Cheating has happened here many times in the past (and by some of the more known individuals and groups), and players/groups have been banned accordingly. That's no insinuation; that's fact.

toddyboi said:
You obviously don't really PvP. You know what makes PvP fun? Having rivalries against other guilds and showing your skills against each other. There's nothing more satisfying in uo than seeing your enemy falling off there mount into the dirt. Real pvpers don't need incentives.

Dude posts that and you literally have a temper tantrum in your next response.

I'm done in this conversation. I, like many other in this thread, think that the fun of fighting is reward enough. Don't need to be paid to engage in militias. Not everything in this game needs a reward or a relic drop. Either participate or don't.

Good luck.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
toddyboi said:
You obviously don't really PvP. You know what makes PvP fun? Having rivalries against other guilds and showing your skills against each other. There's nothing more satisfying in uo than seeing your enemy falling off there mount into the dirt. Real pvpers don't need incentives.

I'm done in this conversation. I, like many other in this thread, think that the fun of fighting is reward enough. Don't need to be paid to engage in militias. Not everything in this game needs a reward or a relic drop. Either participate or don't.

Good luck..

My only response to that Zog, is that I've stated as a newer player, I'd be more inclined to PvP more often, if there was some sort of incentive, and it wasn't just a drain on resources. PvP is a ton of fun, I do it in every game. PvP'n against 5 year vets here, when many casuals have been away from the game for 10+ years, is a losing venture, over and over again.. Until you practice enough that you can survive, and make it bearable. The problem is there's a lot of flushed out content on UOF, that takes a large amount of time for a casual player to complete. To practice PvP, and get nothing for it, really makes you feel like you are setting yourself back.

Give me some reason to PvP, other than for fun (because I'm having fun PvM'n and getting rich at the same time), and I and many more casuals would be more inclined to PvP, because some of us are fight oriented. But again - I don't think the rewards need to be relics, just something unique that the PvP'rs can sell to a shard of PvM'rs, so they can make some bank while having their fun in this system.

More people PvP'n, is just more fun all around, and more sustainability for a shard that already does incredibly well.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
toddyboi said:

Good luck.
... what? He posts that (starting it off with the condescending "You obviously don't really PvP" and finishing with "Real pvpers don't need incentives"), and my response was completely reasonable. I mean, if someone is condescending to someone else on the basis of a suggestion, and they take offense to a response with the same tone, think maybe they're being a bit sensitive?

"If you don't agree with the way I enjoy PvP, you must not really PvP. You aren't a real pvper." You do realize how ridiculous that sounds, right?

halygon

Grandmaster
I have eyes on this thread too. Being in the suggestions and ideas forum, if I see any more flaming, I will take action. Keep it civil in this thread and provide constructive conversations.

#onlywarning

Xiulan

Master
Haven't read this whole thread but as someone who put a gazillion hours and over 40 mil into my pvm meta stuff and still can't get a relic, the idea of handing them out to pvpers that spent two days making a pvp char is a whole bunch of hell no. If incentives are really needed, at least keep them pvp-focused, like unique titles and domination banners and stuff like that.

Also, as a pvmer that's always kindasorta trying to get into pvp, I wish there existed some kind of practice arena that was like the duel pits except for group fighting. Like a bigger space where supplies are provided and you can experiment with different templates, but instead of timed matches it would always be open and you could run around attacking people to your heart's content. Maybe a function where you're randomly placed in teams like with CTF if there's enough players in the arena.

Something like that might help with the learning curve and get people ready for field fighting without losing so many resources or having to wait days or weeks between practice sessions and forgetting everything you learned in the last one. I honestly don't think lack of incentive is the reason more people don't pvp -- I know a lot of people that want to, it's just tough to get into.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
I love the second half of your idea Xiulan - but the first half, the reality is, you can spend two days making a PvM character, play around in the altar, for a chance at getting a relic... without ever PvP'n... The fact that you've spent a long time with no luck, shouldn't really affect the PvP'rs chance for success. Which if done right would be far less than the PvM'rs chance..

Xiulan

Master
the reality is, you can spend two days making a PvM character, play around in the altar, for a chance at getting a relic...

That may theoretically be possible, but it's a pretty slim chance. I've been doing altar crystals regularly since last summer and have never received a single thing. One month I did Hythloth every single day, usually turning in the most crystals -- and nothing. Pvmers get relics and other high-value rewards at the whims of RNG, whereas the system proposed in this thread would offer guaranteed rewards based on points accrued by simply playing. If that doesn't exist for pvm, it shouldn't exist for pvp.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
That may theoretically be possible, but it's a pretty slim chance. I've been doing altar crystals regularly since last summer and have never received a single thing. One month I did Hythloth every single day, usually turning in the most crystals -- and nothing. Pvmers get relics and other high-value rewards at the whims of RNG, whereas the system proposed in this thread would offer guaranteed rewards based on points accrued by simply playing. If that doesn't exist for pvm, it shouldn't exist for pvp.
Apologies, but the idea proposed in this thread would absolutely not guarantee anything to anyone. The idea would give the top 5 players in PvP a 50% chance of receiving a relic or powerscroll of significance, and that chance (and the quality of the item) would diminish from there.

Conversely, if you knew that taking 2 days to make a competitive PvP char, and simply participating in PvP on and off for a week, put you in line to receive a reward of some value, would you give it a shot? Not kill based, and no crazy advantages for group play... just participating?

Xiulan

Master
If a 50% relic chance for the top 5 scorers at champs was also added, I might be down with your idea. :p Although I still don't think pvm rewards for pvp activities makes sense.

I'm not sure what "participating in pvp" would really consist of if it wasn't based on kills or teamwork. Just attacking people? Sure, I'd probably attack some people for a chance at a reward. I feel like that kinda misses the point of what pvp is about, though. Shouldn't it be about the thrill of the chase, besting your enemies and getting bragging rights and stuff like that?

Bromista

Grandmaster
On the topic of guaranteed rewards:

By the way, and it hasn't been a frequent or very popular suggestion, but it has been suggested that there be a sort of guaranteed return on time invested system where you accrue a score to get a shot at rewards. I've seen a couple different versions but mine was this: score X amount get 25% roll at reward, score XX amount get 50% roll, score XXXXX amount to get 100% roll. You know something like that, whatever. This idea was so you could play a sort of mini-game within the game. Do you save up your score for the sure thing or take the gamble?

If you even go that road, and I don't necessarily think it's a great idea because it fucks with shit RNG system we have all come to know and love, in order to get a guarantee on a reward (which could still have its ups or downs depending on rewards, like relics or PS) you should have to commit a lot of time and effort to the cause. And if you have a system like that for PvP, you should adopt it for PvM. But that will take work, balancing, time, effort.

I think right now it would be cool to see a scoring system that rewards a pool of eligible players, in the same style as a champ spawn or crystal turn-in. Less hassle to implement. Does not guarantee rewards. Shit RNG system preserved.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Eventscore really solved that problem though. You could clearly see the rewards you were going after, had currency to spend, and could grind accordingly.

God I can't say enough about eventscore. RIP in pepperoni

Without you the rewards for "legit" PvP are barbed leather, bronze runic weapons, and agility pots fucken sicckkkkk

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Not against eventscore by any means.

If a 50% relic chance for the top 5 scorers at champs was also added, I might be down with your idea. :p Although I still don't think pvm rewards for pvp activities makes sense.

I'm not sure what "participating in pvp" would really consist of if it wasn't based on kills or teamwork. Just attacking people? Sure, I'd probably attack some people for a chance at a reward. I feel like that kinda misses the point of what pvp is about, though. Shouldn't it be about the thrill of the chase, besting your enemies and getting bragging rights and stuff like that?
Well, it doesn't have to be PvM rewards, but it does have to be something desired by all. It just so happens that PvM drives this shard, and the PvM rewards are the most valuable rewards here. So, remove PvM rewards and convert it to gold: the top 5 PvPers have a 50% chance to earn a 20M gold check. One could still buy the PvM item that they want, and there would still be incentive for all players to participate.

I'll say this about your last paragraph, because it's great, and I agree: ideally, the PvP standing is about ones success in PvP. Right now, in UOF, groups dominate PvP, so having success be the standard would do nothing to bring PvM and solo PvPers to UOF structured PvP. The fact that you'd participate speaks to how successful such a system would be, and I believe that the thrill of the chase would be alive and well. After all, no one likes dying and getting looted. Basing it on damage done (for example) would at least put all players on even footing, irregardless of group size or PvP ability. Those that participate are rewarded for their time. I feel that structured PvP on UOF would skyrocket, which would be great for UOF.

Xiulan

Master
50% chance for a 20 mil reward just for playing the game? That's insane. I would totally object to that on principle, but... since it's much better odds than possible with pvm and since I haven't dropped anything good in nearly two years of playing here, I'd probably do nothing but pvp on this shard if that existed, lol. So I guess you're kinda right.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
50% chance for a 20 mil reward just for playing the game? That's insane. I would totally object to that on principle, but... since it's much better odds than possible with pvm and since I haven't dropped anything good in nearly two years of playing here, I'd probably do nothing but pvp on this shard if that existed, lol. So I guess you're kinda right.
Now, it would only be a chance for the top 5 or so players to get such a large amount, and that number is just an example... but, if you make it something desirable, players will play, even if playing means dying to the big guilds.

My only intent is to get the majority of interested players into structured PvP, and I think something like this would be the best way to do it. The group's reward is not dying, but each player's reward comes down to their involvement.

girana

Grandmaster
its just to easy to abuse and its impossible w/o having staff using a unreasonable amount of time monitor it.