A Possible Solution to The Problem of PvP

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Thats fine. We could do a raffle system and maybe punkte seasons. We wouldn't do it daily. Probably monthly.
In other words: bringing casual players to PvP hasn't changed at all. Punkte is a system that greatly favors the groups. As you pointed out, the ability to exploit punkte is even easier with groups, so - again - groups are catered to and solo, casual players are forgotten.

But... why? Why is there this strange UOF mindset that organized PvP is catered to the pot-throwing, script-running, cheat-using groups and not the casual players?

Swayze

Grandmaster
Again, I am not sure you are understanding what I am trying to accomplish in this thread.

I am asking you to provide me a suggestion that helps casual PVPers that
1. Cannot be exploited
2. Does not require manual intervention from staff

The reason why I am asking for these suggestions is because I cannot come up with an idea myself that accomplishes these problems. Your tone and replies are suggesting it is a Me vs You in regards to this topic. I am trying to come up with ideas and you are as well then we find the flaws in them. Anytime I find flaws in your suggestion you take it as if I am offending you. It is the complete opposite. I am trying to work with you and anyone else in this thread to accomplish the goal you are trying to accomplish.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Crude Idea.

Ongoing battle / King of the hill… (old true brit faction base)

Winning militia group gets to roll for slim chance @ a PS/ relics/ wearable/mount. The % chance @ item is based on PVP damage done during the fight. Could be similar to the way champs are scored.

You’d just need some sort of system that would allow casual players to join / party to fight as a group… kinda like they do at the WB bridge.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Again, I am not sure you are understanding what I am trying to accomplish in this thread.

I am asking you to provide me a suggestion that helps casual PVPers that
1. Cannot be exploited
2. Does not require manual intervention from staff

The reason why I am asking for these suggestions is because I cannot come up with an idea myself that accomplishes these problems. Your tone and replies are suggesting it is a Me vs You in regards to this topic. I am trying to come up with ideas and you are as well then we find the flaws in them. Anytime I find flaws in your suggestion you take it as if I am offending you. It is the complete opposite. I am trying to work with you and anyone else in this thread to accomplish the goal you are trying to accomplish.
Which is fantastic, and appreciated.

I feel that, with my suggestion, the gain from exploitation is so minimal, and so borderline irrelevant, that it wouldn't be worth the time/effort to attempt. Gaining a free 200 damage each day, and giving yourself an extra 1400 for the week, would be a drop in the bucket for the top 50 (at least). You'd stand to gain far more productivity towards the rewards by just running around WBB with a dagger for 30 minutes.

Or, add a caveat to the scoring: you can only place on the final list if you had damaged 10 unique players during the week. Increase the number of unique players. Reduce the damage cap against each player per day. And these are just tweaks that I'm coming up with now, not suggestions that the smart members of the community could come up with.

I think it's absolutely doable, and would have the desired outcome.

Swayze

Grandmaster
Crude Idea.

Ongoing battle / King of the hill… (old true brit faction base)

Winning militia group gets to roll for slim chance @ a PS/ relics/ wearable/mount. The % chance @ item is based on PVP damage done during the fight. Could be similar to the way champs are scored.

You’d just need some sort of system that would allow casual players to join / party to fight as a group… kinda like they do at the WB bridge.

So 1 person out of the group gets a slim chance of a reward? Is that enough incentive?

Swayze

Grandmaster
Which is fantastic, and appreciated.

I feel that, with my suggestion, the gain from exploitation is so minimal, and so borderline irrelevant, that it wouldn't be worth the time/effort to attempt. Gaining a free 200 damage each day, and giving yourself an extra 1400 for the week, would be a drop in the bucket for the top 50 (at least). You'd stand to gain far more productivity towards the rewards by just running around WBB with a dagger for 30 minutes.

Or, add a caveat to the scoring: you can only place on the final list if you had damaged 10 unique players during the week. Increase the number of unique players. Reduce the damage cap against each player per day. And these are just tweaks that I'm coming up with now, not suggestions that the smart members of the community could come up with.

I think it's absolutely doable, and would have the desired outcome.

Damage just flat out won't work. This suggestion is almost like gathering bods. You can log on, get your 200 damage each day and then log off. What incentive is there to stay logged on (which helps the server)?

My idea of punkte works because for everytime you die you are motivated to get that punkte point back and fight higher quality people with a positive punkte.

It might benefit groups but only 1 person gets the punkte point out of the group which might cause people to realize that getting points as a solo benefits them much more.

Swayze

Grandmaster
Here is the idea I am thinking.

This system is for militia members only. At the beginning of the month everyone is set back to 0 punkte points. If you die to another militia member, you get -1 points. If you kill another militia member you get +1 points.

At the end of the month everyone gets set back to 0 and we roll all members above a threshold (open to the idea of a floating threshold or a static threshold) to get a relic. Alternatively we could just make it simple and have the top 10% be eligible. Similar to the raffle system, the more points you have the higher your chance is to get a relic. We could do a relic roll and a separate PS roll.

This would promote PVP, the casual PVPer could also get points.

Can it be exploited? sure but it would take a long time to do it. You would need to constantly get positive punkte points therefore either constantly PVP to ensure you are a positive punkte character. With a floating threshold you may never know what the threshold is at therefore you have to be PVPing more.

Last edited:

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Sounds like a great system for militias and existing PvPers, which works. It does nothing for casual or solo PvPers, which is fine. It may bring a few PvPers back into PvP, but won't bring casual or solo players back in. Just my perspective.

Swayze

Grandmaster
Why does it do nothing for the casual solo PVPers? They can gain punkte just as much as anyone else.

Lexington

Grandmaster
That's up to you guys... if it was me I'd structure this the same way champs are done. Sliding scale with multiple different drops for each PVP battle.

Hell you could even have silver as a scaling drop reward so we could start purchasing items again.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Why does it do nothing for the casual solo PVPers? They can gain punkte just as much as anyone else.

Not that is doesn't give the casual Militia guy a chance but... unless you're one of the top 1% skill wise you'd be hard pressed to get a kill running solo. Solo Militia guys get dropped pretty quick!

Bromista

Grandmaster
@Swayze polish instanced PvP events and bring back something like [eventscore, introduce a league of some sort or just kind of a regular-ish schedule of events...team stacking was a concern in previous discussions of CTFL so how about mix of FFa and team events, random teammates and set teams, work the pits into it, etc.

So much we can do here. So much.

Swayze

Grandmaster
Not that is doesn't give the casual Militia guy a chance but... unless you're one of the top 1% skill wise you'd be hard pressed to get a kill running solo. Solo Militia guys get dropped pretty quick!

That is the case for every aspect in this game and to be honest, in life. The more people you have accomplishing 1 goal the quicker/easier it will be. I don't see any way for this to change.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Militia can coexist with something like that as a 24/7 thing where people who play the game strictly for PvP can still get their 2-3 town/dungeon fights per day but also have something you can assign numbers to and monitor. Regulars and casuals can all participate an events, as they already do.

I just don't see any other way to sensibly accomplish the task of rewarding pixels in a purely PvP way as that.

Swayze

Grandmaster
@Swayze polish instanced PvP events and bring back something like [eventscore, introduce a league of some sort or just kind of a regular-ish schedule of events...team stacking was a concern in previous discussions of CTFL so how about mix of FFa and team events, random teammates and set teams, work the pits into it, etc.

So much we can do here. So much.

We do events like that daily. Sure there isn't and eventscore but who cares? If you don't want to play in it, don't.

Why does someone have to get tangible rewards for having fun in an instance they don't normally have access to?

Bromista

Grandmaster
Some of the things I just said didn't make sense. But I guess what I'm trying to say is if you really want to entertain the idea...I think this is your best option.

[eventscore was neat. Why did it have to go away?

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Because the solo player stands little chance against groups, and militias are based around group fighting. The UOF fighting mechanics gear towards this.

The only way to bring casual players into PvP is to devise a system that rewards their time. Rewarding kills rewards those that get kills, and those are groups. Rewarding time will pull many new players into PvP.

Ideally, and this might just be me, I either want to enjoy PvPing (the current mechanics prevent this) or I want to have a goal to strive for (which, presently, there isn't one). Without one of these two, many casual players simply have no place in organized PvP.

Swayze

Grandmaster
Because the solo player stands little chance against groups, and militias are based around group fighting. The UOF fighting mechanics gear towards this.

The only way to bring casual players into PvP is to devise a system that rewards their time. Rewarding kills rewards those that get kills, and those are groups. Rewarding time will pull many new players into PvP.

Ideally, and this might just be me, I either want to enjoy PvPing (the current mechanics prevent this) or I want to have a goal to strive for (which, presently, there isn't one). Without one of these two, many casual players simply have no place in organized PvP.

But my suggestion accomplishes exactly that. Like I said above, anything in life is easier to accomplish in groups.