An Mining oddity when smelting between 115/120 skill...

SteelSexi

Master
Maybe someone else has noticed this themselves..

Now first off, I mine a LOT. So this isn't just a 'fluke' observation, it seems to be pretty solid. I will try and gather some actual data and numbers and post them, but here is the oddity I have noticed and I was just curious if anyone else has seen the same.

I am current at 115 mining skill. I also own a pair of +5 mining gloves. I THOUGHT I wanted a 120 Mining PS for sure, even at the average cost of nearly a million. Now.. with this observation, I'm not so sure....

When I mine and have lots of iron ore to smelt, if I put my +5 gloves on to make my mining skill 120, if I then smelt the iron ore, I almost NEVER get the double ingot bonus where it gives you the message along the lines of 'You skillfully smelt the ore and produce extra metal." But If I smelt my iron ore without the gloves on, I almost always seem to get that double iron ingot production.

I will get some strong numbers to back this up, but I'm pretty sure this is more then just a rare coincidence. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Now I do still wear the +5 gloves to make my mining 120 when I smelt verite or valorite ore, as it does seem to help keep from failing there and losing those colored ores. Almost every other color, my 115 skill without the gloves works just about every time.

I also always smelt my ore from the safety of my home forge.

Anyhow, any input from you miners.. I would be curious what you have to say about this.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Bromista

Grandmaster
Honestly I have noticed goofy stuff with mining with +5 gloves. Inconsistencies from skill at 110-120 and actually having better success to pull ore from veins with lower mining and gloves than higher mining with gloves.

I have basically stopped mining altogether. It has been a while since I can't get a colored deed worth filling to save my life. The only thing I mine anymore is RDA crystals and honestly it's worth 120 mining just for those.

eppy

Grandmaster
There are crystal shard things in RDAs that you can mine @ 120 and build a crystal workbench. I dont know what it takes to build the bench though. I mined my first ones yesterday.

About the 120 mining, since I just got it I have noticed that i cannot single smelt valorite even at 120, but i could at 115 with +3 gloves. Mining is glitchy with the double smelting too imo. It seems like i double more without gloves, but it could just be small sample size,

Bromista

Grandmaster
Oh right, not even just pulling ore but also smelting.

Even with +3 gloves you can one shot a pile of val at 110. Still need +3 gloves to one shot the same pile at 120. Whack.

And for crystals you need nothing besides being a 120 Tinker to combined the different colored crystals to make a workbench.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Been brought before and overlooked a couple times. I wouldn't hold my breath because honestly Mining is pretty low on the totem pole, at least it should be.

And it's not like anyone serious about mining doesn't have a pair of gloves and a few PS under their belt, thus enabling them to one shot val.

Butttt it would be nice....

bump for fix.

before i discovered mining i was tricking down the west entrance of moonglow.

mining saved my life....
got me off the streets, yo...

SteelSexi

Master
Okay, I made note while mining and have some numbers that seem to go in direct relation with my smelting iron ore as I stated in my OP (original post)

60 Piles of iron ore smelted at my home forge...

30 Piles at my raw 115 mining skill...
of those, 25 Piles were "skillfully" doubled with no glove bonus worn.
(83%)

30 Piles smelted with my +5 mining gloves worn
of those, 8 piles were skillfully doubled (with supposedly a +5 mining bonus)
(26%)

Yes, I know... it's a rather small number that I actually took observation of..
but I noticed this long before I started counting and it sure seems to be some weird penalty vs getting that double iron bonus
when you wear mining gloves. It's pretty bizarre.

Anyhow, I just smelt the iron ore now with no gloves on, as it seems to get me TONS more ingots over time as I get that skillfully extracted extra ore double bonus much more often.

Like I say, the mining gloves do seem to help with smelting valorite ore as I fail less and also with my 115 skill and the +5 gloves, I can smelt a whole pile of valorite ore in one dbl click.

So the gloves are definitely helpful and worth their value.

I don't wear them mining even tho i haven't been pk'ed much at all while mining... but I'm sure the one time I wear my +5 gloves out mining will be when reds will show up.. such is the law of irony. ;-)

I'm not really posting this in hopes that the devs spend tons of time or hours trying to figure it out or even fix it. Not at all. I just want to post this information to my fellow miners out there as information that can be very useful perhaps in helping them make sure they get the most ingots for their time. Mining is a chore, and to get penalized on ingot production due to wearing mining gloves is something I think every miner should be aware of happening, at least with myself at my skill. If this same oddity happens with other miners or at other skills then 115, I have no idea. I just wanted to make my observations known, that's all.

Happy mining! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So found this while digging through old threads and tried it myself. With a base of 110 mining and some +5 gloves it double smelted under 40% of the time. Took them off and it jumped to over 60%.

I had no idea I had been wasting so many ingots by smelting iron with my +5 gloves on. Figured it's worth a bump for those not aware of the strange nature of it.

jebra

Master
Just wanted to add my own results to this. I haven't tried with the +5 mining gloves. This was done with the +3 gloves.

115 base mining skill

WITH +3 gloves -- 200 piles of iron ore (1 ore each pile) returned 320 iron ingots.

WITHOUT +3 gloves -- 200 piles of iron ore (1 ore each pile) returned 322 iron ingots.

Sewer Rat

Journeyman
I have also noticed these same oddities with the mining gloves. I'm sure it will eventually be looked into. Free Bump :)

AssHat

Grandmaster
this has been the case ever since UOF started it seems.... and i have brought this up before, im pretty sure lots of people have, but since it deals directly to the economy it wont be fixed kinda like why we wont ever get more colored ore drops or best %s on them!!!!