Best idea ever :)

Bhall

Expert
I have a dream about what UO could be and that would take up many pages but I will try keep it short since I hate long posts my self :p

1 Delete all normal NPC vendors in town.
2 Sell the houses as vendor houses
3 Make tax for owning a house. Especially in town zone.
4 All resources must be farmed in one way or another by players.
5 All crafting skills must be important for the world economy and profitable.
6 Magic items could be changed into resources used to craft other magic weapons like in wow.

For starters it could be fun to make a short test periode and shut down the town npc vendors and see what happens
(add more regs to dungeon drops and less gold)

Hope to get some feedback on this. Am I the only one that have this dream?:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bromista

Grandmaster
Would be hard to regulate in regards to making sure all resources are available at all times. Especially to newer players who have expectations of knowing where to find vendors, what they have, and for how much.

What I do like, and has been suggested before, is the idea of using the empty buildings in town as high-rent player vendor spaces and/or an auction house of some sort.

Definitely a lot of under-utilized space in town. Wiping npc vendors would increase the amount of under-utilization probably ten-fold. There's a ton of good spots for player vendors near towns. If there were a small district in town then sure people would pay more for vendors in that space. But to make it town-wide or world-wide would spread things too thin and probably gain little interest for that reason.

Bhall

Expert
it should definently not be cheap to own such house in town. It would be a great gold sink.

I do not believe it would be a problem for new players to find the items they need.
However I see the problem with cheap items like tools. There is several solutions to that. However tinkers could actually sell tools....haha that is new ;) stackable tools or secondary expensive deluxe tools with 1000 uses and maybe blessed even.

1. There would be normal player vendors in town instead
2. If there is a demand there will be a supply.
3. The game is all about interacting with other players so they can always ask or yell what they need at bank. Like we did back in the days.
4. Remember when the smith players actually stood at the forge waiting for customers instead of just putting deeds on vendor and never talk with anyone?
5. I think this server is populated enough to do this. Making something new is what keeps the game running year after year.

Ashpool

Novice
The rich players will grab all the vendor spots and control the market, new players won't be able to get established and everything they buy just takes the have further from the have nots.

Bhall

Expert
like it is today already ;)

The good vendor spots have prices 20-30% higher than the bad vendor spots. There will always be a market for cheaper items if you travel futher. This is also how it works in real life actually.

And there is still the possibility to rent a vendor spot as today.

It might be necesary to give some compesation to those that get their current business ruined from their good vendor spot / vendor malls.

but imagine if towns was actually towns and not just a bank guard zone

Bromista

Grandmaster
I just feel like if it was going to be an effective gold sink it would also be hard to profit from. And if it's gonna be hard to profit from no matter how high the demand is there would be a difficulty in supply of certain goods.

People sell their wares and resources on their vendors but there's all kinds of items you can buy from npc's that you'll never find on a player vendor. Any item that would have a minor demand wouldn't be worth the time to stock on a vendor. Many vendors in many towns likely would not be replaced.

I think the problem here is mainly convenience. There's a lot of stuff I used to do in UO when I was 15 that I simply cannot be bothered with at 27 years of age. I think that's the driving force that gaurantees the existence of npc vendors.

The population of UOF is a fraction of the population of the UO we used to play. Nobody is hanging out just to wait for customers to show up. It's probably never gonna happen as cool as it would be to have that many people. That would be awesome but we are most definitely not there yet.

Faction towns can have npc vendors placed by players in addition to all the usual vendors with a tax that can be set. Being a free server geared towards PvP I think that's as far as it's gonna go tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bhall

Expert
ye you might be right about some of it ;) leaving a few npcs up is not ruining my dream.
However arrows at 2gp in town...its not even worth picking up feathers for a new player.

I just think its strange that we find gold on a animal and then spent it to buy regs and arrows from a npc.

and believe me there is many that still loves crafting items and running a business rather than pvping. I know several.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Oh you're not wrong. Some things really aren't worth messing with. I know there's a good number of people dedicated to crafting and being merchants so to speak. Just not enough to really give UOF that OSI feel that we all remember where you can't go two screens in town without running into at least six people.

It's still O.K. to dream. I'm still holding out hope for the player vendor district in the empty ass buildings of East Brit.

I think that's the only place that truly has a shot for an idea like this because of the higher traffic. However I would not be opposed to using player vendors to lure players to some of the many ghost towns.

Riversilk

Master
It would kinda be like the Siege Perilous ruleset, where economy is more driven by players... i like this idea, maybe you could start with just some npcs...