Buffs

Luxvero

Journeyman
And here was I thinking the Buff/Debuff that appears on the corner was some custom stuff added by the staff.

@Amorpho
First of all, we need to diferentiate two forms of spell failure: (warning: I might be wrong)

Fizzle = spell chance of failulre based off your magery and spell circle (and who knows another bonus skills?)

Also using spell scroll increases sucess rate, Recall Spell(book) can fizzle with 50 magery, but Recall SCROLL will NOT fizzle with around ~37+ (someone plase confirm this numbers for UOF)*
And Runebook Charge = recall scroll

So with 37-65 magery you should use a macro that
1-opens runebook
2-clicks a certain button, so keep ur book charged,
Additionally, when not in danger, go to the runebook page and use the recall icon, so you won't waste a charge (40gp scroll, 10gp regs)

*spell(book) chance of fizzle based on Magery
http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/magery.php

Disrupt = been hit (phys, magic, both??), equiping in middle cast, and other situations (??)

@Darktrix
the in-game tooltip shows this basic info of the workings of Protection:
Code:
Prevents the Target from having their spells disrupted, but lowers their Physical Resistance and ability to Resist Spells

Active until the spell is deactivated by recasting on the same Target.

In regards to how long reactive armor and protection lasts (ie.. how much damage can you take before it wears off) - I have no clue, nor do I think anyone except maybe those that have seen the code itself. [...]

Halygon, there is indeed this relfection "Buff Pool" documented in a lot of sites, but really the in-game tooltip misleads players saying it lasts until recast (just like for protection and react armor).
BUT, i did not find anything other than unconfirmed forum chatter on dispel / dispel field / mass dispel taking away any of these 3 buffs, but I assume you know this from living it, so I wont ask if you are absolutely certain, but rather, is this something exclusive to Free Shard? Maybe something the freeshard community in general thougth was super-duper and became like a alternate standard

going off topic here for a quick rant
@halygon
The internal game numbers been hidden behind keywords (active Anatomy), and even not given at all (weapon dmg, dmg stacking) certainly add to the charm of UO. But secret mechanics that neither in-game help/tooltip or Developer's Manual omits isn't player skill, sorry.

Some stuff you wrote I did not find in any wiki/manual/guide, but did see a lot of unconfirmed chatter about it.

I'm in no way challenging your claims, just ranting that silly easter eggs are fun, and non exact numbers are good too, but secretive game mechanics for something basic like resisting magery atacks is just nonsense.

Take for instance another ass old game, Age of Empires II, there exists a similar gap between experienced and newbie players, a game 1yr after UO still revered despite having 2 sequences.
But all mechanics are painstakingly detailed in the game manual, even if the pikemen bonus against Knight/Camel/Cav.archer aren't given in numbers, and u have to keep track of civ. self bonus, and civ team bonus for all 8 civs in a 4v4, that isnt shown in each unit u see, but is taken into account on combat math...
(LOL quick rant u say?)

TLDR: precise formulae omission = mastering requires experience, secretive mechanics = plain silly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amorpho

Expert
I have GM magery and my recall never fizzles at that level. Yet it sometimes gets interrupted and I want to know why. Bear in mind that my macro first casts protection and then recalls, so the protection buff is certainly not expired by the time I recall.

Luxvero

Journeyman
Humm
I have GM magery and my recall never fizzles at that level. Yet it sometimes gets interrupted and I want to know why. Bear in mind that my macro first casts protection and then recalls, so the protection buff is certainly not expired by the time I recall.

what about ?

Code:

tough i tryed Recasting Protection and the game does not even let u do that, only some time after, at which time i have no idea if I'm debuffed and hence re-protecting, OR if it's just some minimum amount of time that u have to stick to a certain buff before the game will allow you to DeBuff it

I wonder if we can test this without damaging our karma/fame, or even if it does, i would like to test it if you're up for it Amorpho, and once and for all estabilish definitive guidelines for optimal escaping chances

Last edited by a moderator:

Amorpho

Expert
Protection lasts 2minutes (unless u have GM inscription in which case it will last 4min) but it can be annulled by an unknown amount of damange.

Luxvero

Journeyman
There's so much conflicting information, even if you only search uoforum.com and consider messages from months old members with hundreds of posted msgs.

And I'm not even talking solely about these 3 buffs, being a nerd who timed all shit from Age2 in excel back in the day, based solely on manual info, and extensive tests on a non-persistent game, this customizable nature of UO Freeshard, all this disinformation is frustranting as hell.

aIck

Grandmaster
Because you got disrupted. Having Protection active doesn't make you completely immune to disruption, but I believe it's safe to say that it lowers the rate you get disrupted by stuff a lot.

halygon

Grandmaster
the in-game tooltip shows this basic info of the workings of Protection:
Code:
Prevents the Target from having their spells disrupted, but lowers their Physical Resistance and ability to Resist Spells

Halygon, there is indeed this relfection "Buff Pool" documented in a lot of sites, but really the in-game tooltip misleads players saying it lasts until recast (just like for protection and react armor).
BUT, i did not find anything other than unconfirmed forum chatter on dispel / dispel field / mass dispel taking away any of these 3 buffs, but I assume you know this from living it, so I wont ask if you are absolutely certain, but rather, is this something exclusive to Free Shard? Maybe something the freeshard community in general thougth was super-duper and became like a alternate standard
So we are not talking about the reflection pool here. That is documented, it is 8 circles at GM Magery and 15 circles at GM Mager/Scribe.

The dispel field on yourself to remove your MR/RA/Protection is a UOF feature that was implemented. You will not find documentation on this except for the odd forum thread. Just use it in game and see the results.

going off topic here for a quick rant
@halygon
The internal game numbers been hidden behind keywords (active Anatomy), and even not given at all (weapon dmg, dmg stacking) certainly add to the charm of UO. But secret mechanics that neither in-game help/tooltip or Developer's Manual omits isn't player skill, sorry.
It IS SKILL because it requires experience to understand what is happening while fighting either PvM or PvP. It IS SKILL because without the knowledge/experience of it, a player is not on the same level as one that does have that knowledge/experience.

OSI enabled the buff icons because they wanted to make the game more new player friendly (along with adding a ton of silly extra statuses for ninjas, gargoyles, whatever). For ME, the UO experience requires knowledge of how things works to be fully successful. It is a learning experience to play this game and that learning experience is part of the fun. It's a difference mind set than what many modern MMORPGs have.