Can someone explain the way psn works here.

Town Killa

Neophyte
K So I played on OSI during renaissance I don't really remember psn being this hard to cure. Earlier I got touched by a Rotting Corpse and used 8 Gcures and was still psn'd. Had to use magic. Luckily my dexer has gm magery.

I also notice pretty much EVERYONE who pvp's is a Nox/Alchy dexxer hurling xplode pots constantly. Which is fine whatever. But having to use 3 Gcures every time he hits me.. well it seems broken.

I mean does everyone carry a keg of Gcure with them when they go PvP?

Town Killa

Neophyte
K So I played on OSI during renaissance I don't really remember psn being this hard to cure. Earlier I got touched by a Rotting Corpse and used 8 Gcures and was still psn'd. Had to use magic. Luckily my dexer has gm magery.

I also notice pretty much EVERYONE who pvp's is a Nox/Alchy dexxer hurling xplode pots constantly. Which is fine whatever. But having to use 3 Gcures every time he hits me.. well it seems broken.

halygon

Grandmaster

I so agree with you on this one.

Poison is waaaay OP on this shard and people do not believe that a gcure will not cure all poisons from a DP'd weapon (poisoning has a chance to increase the poison level of the point on your weapon -- also a myth to some people).

Poison also has more charges per poison on each weapon here than on other shards.

Chance to Poison if at GM poisoning is 40% increased - this means that nearly every hit is a poison -- ********. Would be ok if only GM poisoners got this bonus, but it scales with your poisoning level, which means someone with 70 poisoning still gets likea 30% increase to poison.. again stupid cause most people do not have GM poisoning because they want alchemy too.

This shard gives poisoners their cake and lets them poison it too.

Town Killa

Neophyte
Ah an XH guy I actually was in your guys guild on Cats. Does Dantrag still play? Your answer however is pretty worthless. It doesn't really answer the question. Im not really concerned about their template. Im just wondering what the deal with psning is. 1v1 PvP seems to be centered around how many Gcures your carrying.

Generally when everyone is using the same template/strat balance is off.

Town Killa

Neophyte
I mean it seems obviously broken. I never remember 1 handers even being used much in UOR. It was all about LJ, Spears, War Hammers etc. Dexxing was pretty balanced. Here its just DP katana, hit a xplo pot macro and run at the guy.

Pretty much every 1v1 encounter is fun until 12psn applications later I gotta leave cause I have no cures left.

halygon

Grandmaster
I mean it seems obviously broken. I never remember 1 handers even being used much in UOR. It was all about LJ, Spears, War Hammers etc. Dexxing was pretty balanced. Here its just DP katana, hit a xplo pot macro and run at the guy.

Pretty much every 1v1 encounter is fun until 12psn applications later I gotta leave cause I have no cures left.
Well part of your issue is your assumption that this is a UO:R server. It is loosely based on UO:R, but mostly has elements from the early post t2a days with alot of updated abilities that can be found in today's OSI (ie the gargoyle ships and high seas stuff)

When I played OSI, UO:R wasn't even around, but i digress.

Here the only time you will see people use 1 hand weapons is with poisoned weapons -- so its like UOR in that aspect.

The main thing you need to realize is that although this shard has a very well developed PvM side, it is still a fledgling when it comes to PvP -- many PvP elements have not been flushed out properly. The main items right now are:
  • Poisoning
  • Stamina Loss
  • Mace Stamina Drain
  • Mace armor damage
  • Armor Rating Accurately working in PvP for damage reduction

Messremb

Grandmaster
Wow this thread, Lol

Ok first off with 0 poisoning you have a 20% chance to poison, at GM you have a 40% chance. but it does scale with skill (I.e. 50 Poisoning gives 30% chance to poison) so at GM only 2 out of 5 hits will Poison. that's not ever hit.

Poisoning is one of the most difficult skills to GM. (it will run you a few hundred K at least)

Cure Pots cure Deadly Poison pretty much 100% of the time and have no timer, meaning its is a battle of do you have more Cure pots than they have poison charges.

The damage done by DP is pathetic when you consider the amount of time it takes to tick. Most Poison dexers use Greater of reg poison cause they actually tick fast enough to be useful.

And I remember being owned all the time in UOR by naked poison fencers. they were a *****. granted I was 12ish and sucked at PVP. but they were there and a real threat.

Pretty much poison should only be an issue if your not prepared with Cure Pots. Not OP.

halygon

Grandmaster
Wow this thread, Lol

Ok first off with 0 poisoning you have a 20% chance to poison, at GM you have a 40% chance. but it does scale with skill (I.e. 50 Poisoning gives 30% chance to poison) so at GM only 2 out of 5 hits will Poison. that's not ever hit.

Poisoning is one of the most difficult skills to GM. (it will run you a few hundred K at least)

Cure Pots cure Deadly Poison pretty much 100% of the time and have no timer, meaning its is a battle of do you have more Cure pots than they have poison charges.

The damage done by DP is pathetic when you consider the amount of time it takes to tick. Most Poison dexers use Greater of reg poison cause they actually tick fast enough to be useful.

And remember being owned all the time in UOR by naked poison fencers. they were a *****. granted I was 12ish and sucked at PVP. but they were there and a real threat.

Pretty much poison should only be an issue if your not prepared with Cure Pots. Not OP.
40% to poison is pretty damn high and means you get poisoned nearly every hit ( i never said every hit).

Its not the damage that poison does, its the healing that it prevents, which means that even with lesser poison, it still does what a nox dexxer needs it to do.

You will NEVER have enough cure potions to outlast a nox dexxor -- there are just too many charges per weapon poison and cure pots each count towards your total items in your backpack -- which with everything else I carry gets pretty full.

Gcures do NOT cure every dp'd weapon hit on you as there is a chance to increase poison. Ive been on the receiving end of this many times and had to cast cure because my cure pots did shit.

Very OP on this shard. Like I said -- easy to fix, give the 40% bonus to only GM poisoners and that forces folks to actually dedicate to poisoning or to something else. If someone is GM poisoning -- they should be OP when it comes to poisoning you with a weapon, BUT they also SHOULD NOT be able to drop nearly full strength exp pots on ya at the same time.

S

Shane

We are reviewing poisoning as of lately here trying to find a proper balance. With the templates people run today you CAN NOT compare poisoning to how it was back on OSI / ren era.

halygon

Grandmaster
We are reviewing poisoning as of lately here trying to find a proper balance. With the templates people run today you CAN NOT compare poisoning to how it was back on OSI / ren era.
Like I said on other forums -- if someone wants to be a poison dexxor and have l33t poisoning skills with their weapon -- great! Just make sure they ONLY get that bonus at GM level so they need to commit if they want that skillset. Right now they can have 70 poisoning and be just as lethal as with GM.

Messremb

Grandmaster
That template has weaknesses that can be exploited.

I will agree, its very hard to beat a competent alch\nox dexer 1v1, especially if your talking in a duel. but in a group fight that same build is far less useful while a scribe mage becomes OP. the fact is each build has situations in which they excel and situations they do not.

On a side note I fought an archer\Scribe mage the other day and I'm totally making one cause it was a pretty sweet build. thought I had his reflect off went to dump just as he got a good hit with the bow and dumped on me. haven't died that bad in a 1v1 in a long time. I know its Off topic but I was talking about cool builds and thought of this.

Town Killa

Neophyte

You guys have done a great job with the server. I have been playing UO off and on since 97'. Me and a buddy both started here like 12-13 days ago both of us have played pretty much every form of UO. And we both agree this server is pretty well done.

If I may though, PvM on Ultima is never going to be as good as the newer MMOs. The only reason why its still fun at all is the fact that PvM and PvP are really well integrated in UO. The player base that is here for PvM will only stay around so long. Florescent sandals and rares will get old for them and they will go back to something else. The loyal player base is usually casual and hardcore PvPers.

If PvP balance is obviously off it needs to be fixed as soon as possible. Im not implying it needs to be exactly like UOR. But the only reason to use UOR as a base is because it was the most diversely balanced period of Ultima. There were like 6-8 mage viable mage templates and countless dexer templates. If everyone is running around with the same template/strats whats the point of using UOR?

If you ask me it seems real easy to fix. Increase the chance to cure with a Gcure to 80-90%. At most it should take 2 Gcures to cure anything, otherwise I gotta carry 30 of them. And do the same thing OSI did. Make weapon corrosion and chance to psn based on your level of psn skill with GM being considerably better than not.

halygon

Grandmaster
You guys have done a great job with the server. I have been playing UO off and on since 97'. Me and a buddy both started here like 12-13 days ago both of us have played pretty much every form of UO. And we both agree this server is pretty well done.

If I may though, PvM on Ultima is never going to be as good as the newer MMOs. The only reason why its still fun at all is the fact that PvM and PvP are really well integrated in UO. The player base that is here for PvM will only stay around so long. Florescent sandals and rares will get old for them and they will go back to something else. The loyal player base is usually casual and hardcore PvPers.

If PvP balance is obviously off it needs to be fixed as soon as possible. Im not implying it needs to be exactly like UOR. But the only reason to use UOR as a base is because it was the most diversely balanced period of Ultima. There were like 6-8 mage viable mage templates and countless dexer templates. If everyone is running around with the same template/strats whats the point of using UOR?

If you ask me it seems real easy to fix. Increase the chance to cure with a Gcure to 80-90%. At most it should take 2 Gcures to cure anything, otherwise I gotta carry 30 of them. And do the same thing OSI did. Make weapon corrosion and chance to psn based on your level of psn skill with GM being considerably better than not.
Damn I completely forgot that weapon corrosion needs to be added in -- good call.

Town Killa

Neophyte
Damn I completely forgot that weapon corrosion needs to be added in -- good call.

Yeah I had a psn dexer on Cats. I had to carry a oil cloth on me because after your psn wore off your blade within about 30 seconds your weapon would be shit.

It was something like
Use Item Oil cloth
wait for target
Target Item in hand
Use skill psning
wait for target
Target item type green potion
wait for target
Target item in hand.

I mean I know how psn dexers work. I know the first thing people do when someone complains about balance is the old "learn to play". But its not that I assure you. PSN here is broken as fuck.

halygon

Grandmaster
That template has weaknesses that can be exploited.

I will agree, its very hard to beat a competent alch\nox dexer 1v1, especially if your talking in a duel. but in a group fight that same build is far less useful while a scribe mage becomes OP. the fact is each build has situations in which they excel and situations they do not.

On a side note I fought an archer\Scribe mage the other day and I'm totally making one cause it was a pretty sweet build. thought I had his reflect off went to dump just as he got a good hit with the bow and dumped on me. haven't died that bad in a 1v1 in a long time. I know its Off topic but I was talking about cool builds and thought of this.
To a degree you are right, but in reality it is impossible for a dexxor to win a fight against a nox-dexxor given each has equal skills. Hell even if the non-dexxor has l33t skills compared to the nox dexxor. There is a reason why at tourny's i can beat any mage in 1v1 (i run a macer) but put me against a noob nox dexxor and he will eat me nearly every time. Even parry doesn't mitigate a nox dexxor as they currently stand.

A mage can't even take out a nox dexxor easily. This isn't a case of one specific group saying that the current nox-alchy-dexxor template that people use is OP, its everyone who has to fight one. The nox-alchy-dexxor template unfortunately takes advantage of the faults in the UO:F PvP balance.

The only reason a scribe mage is considered good in group pvp is because people are too lazy to track them and end up getting spells reflected back.

Archers in general should not be PvPer (on this shard where you have to stop to shoot). I can just run away from an archer if I feel threatened -- which i never do.

Town Killa

Neophyte
Yeah beating a psner with any other dexer is pretty much a huge pita save maybe a Macer/Alchy with a good war axe and some skills. Its always been that way though.

Vs a mage the psn isn't such a big deal its the fast weapon plus xplode pots 1v1. Good luck getting any spells off. Even with Protection your not gonna out offense a nox/alchy dexer and will have to stop to heal by which time his bandages kick in and your too low on mana to kill him. Then its pretty much over. Its doable but youll need some good RNG.

Archer has always been shit 1v1. Its great in groups. And they should keep the stop to shoot. Shooting on the run IS super broken for ganking makes it pretty much inescapable.

Lexington

Grandmaster

Does this mean you'll look at the NOX mage finally?

Lexington

Grandmaster
I was watching the twitch cam yesterday (love that cam) as @eric_azria was explaining the details of poisoning changes that are coming.... seems he is in the know :p