Chess improvements

Lyxx

Expert
Hi guys

As someone who has organised chess lessons for guild members since the first month of playing UOF, I have finally decided to draw some attention to what can be done to make the "mini game" of chess even more enjoyable on this server. I am encouraged by seeing poker blossoming - it's a nice code implementation - and with just a few tweaks, the conditions for playing chess could be greatly boosted too. As it is right now, playing chess is something you really have to want to do in order to tolerate the flaws.

First of, no one plays chess like this:

10484046_814814501955834_1179312037777896580_n.jpg

We play chess from this angle:

12790885_814814508622500_1428132227022372770_n.jpg

However, the trained chess player will notice a problem now. The white queen is not on her colour if placed on d1. The squares are wrong. Can you admins please flip the board so the squares become like this:

12821552_814814518622499_1034414948707959328_n.jpg

Now the set-up is correct (have not added first and eight rank pieces to draw attention to the square colours).

However, there is a final issue which is very tricky to play with. It can also be fixed easily. The board needs to be enlarged so it is more something like this:

10317619_814814538622497_7837291820812321016_o.jpg

If these changes are made, then chess will have great conditions and we will be able to do some serious chess training on this server.

Optional design bonus would be adding numbers and letters at the board edge (the chess coordinates). It makes it easier to analyse books from a chess book for example, and to talk about the game.

If you want to hear more suggestions, I also have some for the Nujhelm chess board, but I will leave that for later - first let's talk about this.

I know I'm not the only happy chess player on this server.

Thoughts?

Lyxx

Expert
Yes, I included this line on the topic "f you want to hear more suggestions, I also have some for the Nujhelm chess board, but I will leave that for later - first let's talk about this."

If you want to hear what needs to be done to that board to make it playable for competitive chess, I will take a screenshot and elaborate, but I wanted to ask for the changes to the smaller boards to be made first because it would mean a TON if those were made!

Lyxx

Expert
Currently, the board looks like this:

12705512_814862785284339_5784570273649573647_n.jpg

However, has anyone actually tried playing a game of substance of it? If you have, you will have noticed your neck hurt from tilting your head all the time. The angle of the board - if it is to be playable in a competitive sense - needs to be rotated to this:

12801365_814880711949213_8893158324325200558_n.jpg

Then it will work.

One more thing needs to be fixed, though. The speed with which pieces moves needs to be doubled or trippled. Has anyone reached a rook endgame? Try manuvering rooks all over the board. It takes so long for them to cross the board that play becomes dull and practically impossible. If the movement speed is accelerated, games stand a chance of being finished in a natural way, rather than being abandoned if there is no conclusion in the middle game, because the players have better things to do with their time than wait for pieces to crawl slowly across the squares.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyxx

Expert
Bonus improvement tips: If a clock/timer could be added so people could choose between 1-minute chess, 5 minute, 10 minute or 15 minute chess --- if people could play chess for money, so there could be stakes like at poker, say 20k per game (or let the players define stakes) --- then I would actually pick up some chess books again. We could arrange chess competitions then!

Lyxx

Expert
The way things are right now, tourneys are difficult to pull off. We can have great training sessions though, with puzzles and exercises. But actually playing a full-length game is tiring, because the board is so small and because the squares are flipped, which annoys chess players who have OCD when it comes to stuff like this... hehe :p But if these things were fixed, then yeah!

Lyxx

Expert
You're welcome at classes - I have exercises specifically for learning to move the pieces and building fundamental skills. :)

Lyxx

Expert
CHESS CLASS INVITATION! This Saturday from 14:00 - 15:00 (your US time) there will be a chess class where all are welcome to participate. That's 20:00 european time. If you want to join, show up at Skara Brae stables at 14:00!!!!!!!!!

I hope you can join, Stunoma :D

stunoma.

Grandmaster
CHESS CLASS INVITATION! This Saturday from 14:00 - 15:00 (your US time) there will be a chess class where all are welcome to participate. That's 20:00 european time. If you want to join, show up at Skara Brae stables at 14:00!!!!!!!!!

I hope you can join, Stunoma :D

Possibly. Saturday's I'm usually out.

Hockey game at 2 pm so I'll probably miss it :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think these are excellent suggestions and ideas! Most people play chess with an up/down orientation as opposed to side-to-side. Also, the queen's starting position should be an easy fix. I'd like to see a log of each player's movements, so people can reexamine their games and learn from their mistakes. I'd be happy to check out a chess tourney/training session regardless of whether it involves just EQMS or everyone! I hope to see some people on Saturday!!!

Lyxx

Expert
Possibly. Saturday's I'm usually out.

Hockey game at 2 pm so I'll probably miss it :(

IN ADDITION to the Saturday class, there's a chess class at 2 pm (20:00 European time) on SUNDAY! How about that?

We will learn how the pieces move and do exercises to train our new knowledge, so all people at beginner level are welcome.

And what do the admins say about fixing the graphics for us? @Shane

stunoma.

Grandmaster
IN ADDITION to the Saturday class, there's a chess class at 2 pm (20:00 European time) on SUNDAY! How about that?

We will learn how the pieces move and do exercises to train our new knowledge, so all people at beginner level are welcome.

And what do the admins say about fixing the graphics for us? @Shane

I'll try, can't make any promises. I also have to see if I have a blue char somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lyxx

Expert
How about you just PM me on a day when you have time for a chess lesson, then we'll set one up shortly. :p At a going rate of 15 minutes chess lesson in exchange for 5 minutes pvp lesson... haha

Other people who want to play chess are welcome to pm me as well to join a class (no pvp skills required). ;)

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster
Is there a place fellow chess players like to hang out? I've been leaving notes all over Sosaria in the tavern bill-boards asking for games, but no one responds. :rolleyes:

kleidomes

Apprentice
Maybe we should organise something like a tournament for chess lovers ? Or a chess session for everyone, so we could meet up and play few rounds ?

Last edited by a moderator: