Defense Talisman templates -- would LJ work?

Swords, LJ, Tact, Anat, Heal, Arms Lore, Resist

This would be my template for a level 10 Talisman with mixed level relics (level 10 leech).

I would drop parry for LJ and start using double axe slayers. Would this be ok for end game content such as champs and Paragon balrons etc? Or should I just stick with parry and using the invul heat shield?

halv

Grandmaster
I think you could drop Parrying around level 7 or 8. But with this template you only can use the 20% skill cap increase for some magery like magic reflect from scrolls. No hiding, no invis spell, no magical abilities at all, this could be a dangerous template to play.
Do you seriously need armslore on a defenser? Isn't it a zerker skill? Doing high damage on a defenser isn't that important i think. You should go macing and use slayer quarterstaff and put hiding on this template. My 5 cents.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Without parry, the Tali should let you stand your ground while you use heavy hitters that are usually reserved for more of a hit and run style - which does sound appealing and will certainly lay down some damage no matter what wep skills or weapons you are running.

I think where a lot of people go wrong is that they feel like they either have to have LJ to get big damage or have to have arms lore to land hits or conclude that both would be ideal. I could never recommend both on the same template though. In fact, I don't use either. I have an LJ with magery and I have a junk dexer with AL but they stay shelved in favor of my def Tali (nox alchy...was geared for PvP but: changes to PvP, tali wasn't worked up hardly at all, and only remedy relic was applied so he is still kinda rarely used) and my main - hiding macer zerker.

In fact, LJ just seems like a waste for any Tali char. Some swear by it but tali chars are srs bsnss and you want to get the most out of them at all times. If you're looking for damage but are going to use one-handers at all (and you absolutely should, situationally) then your LJ is 100 wasted skill points during those times.

Yeah, when you have an axe up you're getting increased damage which no other skill will provide for any other weapon type...and you can only replace that skill with "defensive" skills...but IMO that's going to go further in the long run even if you sacrifice some damage in the short.

Arms lore truly only shows an advantage when you are combating high wrestling targets. Paragons, holiday spawn, bosses, and the toughest dungeon spawn. AL is wasted on low-mid grade spawn.

I say skip both LJ and AL. Honest. Macing gives big hits with crushing blows and the extra skill pts leave room for some magery/med (mission critical skills for any PvM dexer IMO) and can be paired just as well with parrying as any other one-hander combat skill. You can rely on the Tali to do your defense for you (either with two-handers up, yes that means wasted skill pts during those times as well, or if you just skip parry altogether) but with parry you are bordering on untouchable. I say parry wins this battle regardless of your 7th skill.

I primarily use the hiding macer zerker with magery. If I wanted to PvM seriously on a def Tali, I would be switching them to parry macing with magery.

Long story short I'd rather waste skill points on parry during two-hander time than waste skill pts on LJ during one-hander time but I can't see a real big difference in the end. Just personal preference.

AL can shove it any time tho.

Bored at work, enjoy the essay!

Last edited:

halygon

Grandmaster
I have a LJ Defence toon. I would highly recommend keeping parry until you get to higher levels (or max) as said above -- its slow going without the extra armor buff.

I am not much of a pvmer and as such my "PVM" template is basically an alchy LJ with a defense tali. I can say that a PK has never found me not ready for a fight... but it is not the to die for pvm template that will get you the most bang for your buck when purely doing pvm.

Young Star

Grandmaster
My LJ defense dexer was purely for taking advantage of the passive defense talisman bonuses on a PvP dexer. If you want to maximize the defense dexer for PvM I would go with 1handed weapon and parry. You actually don't do too bad against PKs since a lot of them are dexers already since your armor is likely much better than theirs.