Fix for IRC Error 2031 - "Disconnected from Server"

SidX

Grandmaster
For months I was getting "Error 2031: Disconnected from server" in IRC (both Web-based and via any IRC client). I use a work laptop with lots of security restrictions so this was likely one of them. I couldn't join IRC and immediately got this error.

My work laptop uses McAfee VirusScan Enterprise, which ended up being the culprit (work laptops typically restrict disabling this, but modifying its settings is usually allowed).

On the off chance that anyone else has trouble connecting to IRC because of this message, and uses McAfee VirusScan, try this:

Right-click the taskbar icon on the bottom right of your screen, go to Manage Features, then VirusScan Enterprise:

DrXxqZ9.jpg

On the window that appears, double-cllick "Access Protection":

hn6qwzy.jpg

A new window appears. On this window, click "User-defined rules" at the bottom of the left side:

DVSw0cc.jpg

You'll notice on the right side new options appear. Single-click "IRC blocking, inbound and outbound" and choose 'Delete':

xeS6qED.jpg

Click OK to save.

On my laptop this IRC blocking rule keeps coming back and I'm not able to permanently delete it... but I can delete it each time I want to connect to IRC... so you might have to do this every time you connect to IRC. But it should let you then join since this app is no longer blocking the IRC ports.