Fix Spell Reflect and Going grey/criminal

halygon

Grandmaster
Your logic is great. So if someone Parries my attack I shouldn't be attackable to them because it's a purely defensive skill?

No, you don't make sense. So now your only argument is that it's purely defensive (I guess you are the authority on that?) and the only way to use the skill is defensively if blue, and offensively if red.

Btw in UO offense/defense are one in the same. Trying to say a skill is for only defense is short-sighted.
So you think when you parry an attack, that it is completely blocked? Have you ever used parry? Obviously you don't understand the mechanics behind it... why use it in an argument?

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Ok. Seriously.
This is a about magic reflect and nothing else and whether or not someone should be flagged for attempting a negative act on you.

The answer is yes.

You so not need to wait for a dex to connect why should you have to wait for a Mage to damage you if they Target you with a negative act they should be Grey. End of story.

Not that any more examples are needed but to exaggerate the point; if Russia bonds USA and the bomb is stopped they should be welcome to try again until they succeed?

Now feel free to focus on my rediculous example rather than the facts.

Lastly with all this said does that mean it should be changed. Not necessarily. If it requires great lengths of man power then no but in a perfect world you show an act of aggression you become flagged as an aggressor regardless of the results.

halygon

Grandmaster
Ok. Seriously.
This is a about magic reflect and nothing else and whether or not someone should be flagged for attempting a negative act on you.

The answer is yes.

You so not need to wait for a dex to connect why should you have to wait for a Mage to damage you if they Target you with a negative act they should be Grey. End of story.

Not that any more examples are needed but to exaggerate the point; if Russia bonds USA and the bomb is stopped they should be welcome to try again until they succeed?

Now feel free to focus on my rediculous example rather than the facts.

Lastly with all this said does that mean it should be changed. Not necessarily. If it requires great lengths of man power then no but in a perfect world you show an act of aggression you become flagged as an aggressor regardless of the results.
Fresh fodder...

So you think that a spell should flag as soon as the target is targeted? There is a reason why this mechanic is NOT in place, probably also the reason this "Reflect issue" is there in the first place.

Spells have timing (look at explosion). By making a spell flag as soon as a target is chosen, severely restricts the usefulness of mages as it will instantly aggro a mob -- even before any damage is done. With magery --->> spell damage = attack. This is to allow spell timing to actually work as expected.

You guys want to change a core mechanic of the game because its an annoyance and does not match with a real life situation? Wow...

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Actually since most would consider off screening explode to kill people in town an exploit. Yes aggro once targeted makes sense.

halygon

Grandmaster
Actually since most would consider off screening explode to kill people in town an exploit. Yes aggro once targeted makes sense.
Actually that's my most favorite part of explosion.... but I regress...

Timing is not only benefical for PvP, but affects PvM also.... or we only picking and choosing how we see a change affect the shard? I like that.. let's only look at PvP today, we can worry about PvM (or 90% of the shard) tomorrow.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Off screening mobs seems broken to me as well. You can argue all you like but:

Act of aggression should make you an aggressor. Bottom line. There is no argument that makes that statement untrue.

halygon

Grandmaster
Off screening mobs seems broken to me as well. You can argue all you like but:

Act of aggression should make you an aggressor. Bottom line. There is no argument that makes that statement untrue.
Absolutely!! I fully agree.

A spell is not an act of aggression until it damages or affects a target. That's how UO works. I've already explained the mechanics of why.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
It is an act if aggression. The damage is irrelevant. You even get a warning when targeting a blue. Most certainly an act if aggression. If you want to keep things closer to the same you could flag the aggressor upon execution of the spell irregardless of the results. Ie. Cast explode and flag after spell takes effect although I think that is just over complicating things.
You attempt the harm someone you are an aggressor to the person. Failing didn't change your intent.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
ohhh, realism...

Facepalm.jpg

Xigam

Journeyman
Its an act of aggression to take down someones defenses in preparation for an attack.

Thats how UO is.. Thats the mechanics of player interaction... no one is walking around casting offensive attack spells on you for benign reasons.

It is the start of an attack, always; and therefore should flag the aggressor.

The only motivation to keep it the broken way it is now is if you start more fights... then it gives you an advantage more often.

If you are attacked first more often its to your advantage for it to be fixed.

Logically its an attack. A first strike.

What if they made a weapon that when you used it it on someone it only damaged armor and didnt do hp damage or flag you until the armor was gone. Would that be an attack?

Bromista

Grandmaster
But a spell does effect a target when it takes circles of reflect away.

I think once the spell has that effect, once the bounce is made, the flag should take effect.

I really don't see how it should be any other way. But hey, whaddya do? For now we live with it.

halygon

Grandmaster
But a spell does effect a target when it takes circles of reflect away.

I think once the spell has that effect, once the bounce is made, the flag should take effect.
Actually it AFFECTS the reflect not the player. The target (player) is not affected at all by the effects of the spell.

Idk, are theses magic reflect circles like lucky charms? Gotta protect me magic circles!

You know, maybe you don't like a game mechanic, maybe it seems unfair, or maybe you just don't understand how to take advantage of it. Don't be the guy named OSI who wants to change everything because it's easier.

Bromista

Grandmaster
What? I understand pretty much all there is to understand about how reflect currently works, for better or for worse. I feel like I've demonstrated that.

I don't like it because it's illogical, it's not illogical because I don't like it.

This is not about easy mode. And wreckognize said something about how I want to dominate the room and told me I was wrong when I denied that accusation. What am I trying to dominate?

I dunno, it just seems like the best defense for current mechanics is to read too much into the intent of those asking for change.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
And wreckognize said something about how I want to dominate the room and told me I was wrong when I denied that accusation. What am I trying to dominate?

well, if you're talking about blue vs blue, then you must be outside of town, basically.
You get a spell casted on you by another blue. Reflect has helped you avoid damage and stamina penalties. You are now aware of said attackers intentions to kill you. You can now leave if you want. Even better is, how using reflect to thwart a mage helps you leave if you wish to recall, since you wont even be disturbed. Imagine 1v1 using scribe bonus to reflect? its 15 circles, you have ample warning if you wish to leave....

however...

you do not wish to leave. Whatever the reason, probably a paragon chest, you want to dominate the scenario to get the benefit. There's just no way around it.

As long as we're on this gaygantic ''twisted realism'' kick, does it not benefit the game in some way to be wise enough, and skilled enough, and intelligent enough (all wizardly attributes) to avoid a penalty because someone used 3 regs?

now please, let this die.

Xigam

Journeyman
Actually it AFFECTS the reflect not the player. The target (player) is not affected at all by the effects of the spell.

The target (player) is affected by the removal magic reflect.

You just want it to be easier for you to attack someone with less risk. You can cast on them and if MR is up, no-problem, just cast heal and wait for your mana to get back. "Gotta protect me broken game mechanic!"