Forensics and Thieves

Struan

Expert
I heard people talk about forensics and using it on thieves and them going permagrey to you.

Is this a real thing on UOF?

Are there "detective" builds for hunting thieves?

Ashpool

Novice
It used to work so that you could detect if a thief was perma or not, rather than make them perma. I can't see why it wouldn't work here.

Another way to see if thieves are perma is to try and steal from them without being in the guild.

I believe the full rundown of the skill in regard to thieves:

-lets you know if the target is a thieves guild member
-removes the effects of disguise kits
-if they are perma, flags them visibly to you (and only you).

Malkraven

Grandmaster
its not active here no but it is on other servers it would be great here. We could use some thief hunters recently we seem to have been invaded by thiefs, Not a bad thing more players the better but im sure the thieves themselves would enjoy the chase i know i would

Struan

Expert
Hey thanks guys. Appreciate the responses.

Too bad it doesn't work here. I would love to have a thief hunter/detective char.

Metalhead-

Master
I think forensics should get a huge buffer here. I think it would be a lot of fun if it also would give the current where abouts of murders when you click a body they've killed. It would be a lot of fun and I think a fair trade for perhaps de-buffing some stat loss? But i'm going OT. Forensic Eval should be buffed!

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
It used to work so that you could detect if a thief was perma or not, rather than make them perma. I can't see why it wouldn't work here.

Another way to see if thieves are perma is to try and steal from them without being in the guild.

I believe the full rundown of the skill in regard to thieves:

-lets you know if the target is a thieves guild member
-removes the effects of disguise kits
-if they are perma, flags them visibly to you (and only you).
DO NOT DO THIS.

Even if you are NOT in the thieves guild, it will actually flag YOU perma if you try it on a non-thief. I believe the GMs are aware of this, but still, be advised.

Dellan

Grandmaster
Are you sure? Ya, An Corp for old thread, but we tried it few days back, and it didn't flagged you.. Only told you that either:

You have to be in thieves guild - innocent
You can't steal that/fail to steal/steal - perma.

Crap, I have to run some tests again..

Kraden

Grandmaster
Yeah if u use steal on someone even if you fail or get the massage you cant steal that you still go grey to them

Umabel

Novice
It doesn't matter. I tried that once and to my memory was guard whacked attacking a "perma-grey". Have little idea what is going on here.

I (and others) already suggested that forensic evaluation could be buffed as a way to literally make perma-greys out of thieves (on person or robbed guy) and even blue murderers (on person or corpse), but oh well.

Kraden

Grandmaster
It doesn't matter. I tried that once and to my memory was guard whacked attacking a "perma-grey". Have little idea what is going on here.

I (and others) already suggested that forensic evaluation could be buffed as a way to literally make perma-greys out of thieves (on person or robbed guy) and even blue murderers (on person or corpse), but oh well.
I dont know how. I literally stopped going to brit because i would get picked out and killed. Also if the guy was really in the theives guild than you shouldnt be guard whacked for hitting them because by joing the theives guild you waive your right to use guards so the guards will never help theives even if they call them

Umabel

Novice
I dont know how. I literally stopped going to brit because i would get picked out and killed. Also if the guy was really in the theives guild than you shouldnt be guard whacked for hitting them because by joing the theives guild you waive your right to use guards so the guards will never help theives even if they call them

Checked again. Yes, you can attack a perma-grey that is marked blue (in town). No, you can't attack a blue that is a member of the thieves guild (in town). Will test more as needed. Edit: Basically, if you have stolen from someone you can more or less be attacked indefinitely until you are killed. If only blue murderers were like that too...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dellan

Grandmaster
Yes! Good work Umabel. That's what I wanted to know. Sooooo... that means, since the person is grey (even though he seems blue), that stealing must work on him, thus it's a way to tell if he is guilty, and freely attackable.

I'd like to see forensics buffed too.. Also made a suggestion about forensics in Ideas, check it out if you're interested (shameless self advertising ftw). However, not buffed in the way that you can attack any thief just because he's a thief. Being a thief is not a crime. But, thief's status should be revealable - if he stole, then make him gray to detective that used forensics on him, so he's able to give him a chase.

To be honest, whole reason why I'm doing this is not because I feel any love for law. I'm just sick of this rabble that dares to call themselves thieves. As I told all my boys when I recruited them.. There is a difference between someone who has stealing in his template, and real thief. And this whole crap I watch whenever I come close to WBB screws up respect for my honest trade. Good luck detectives, heheh.

Kraden

Grandmaster
Checked again. Yes, you can attack a perma-grey that is marked blue (in town). No, you can't attack a blue that is a member of the thieves guild (in town). Will test more as needed. Edit: Basically, if you have stolen from someone you can more or less be attacked indefinitely until you are killed. If only blue murderers were like that too...
Yeah ive been killed plenty of times afk and sometimes i get killed without even trying to steal from someone

Kraden

Grandmaster
once you steal, you're perma grey til you die i believe.
Yeah i know. Ive logged in before not stolen and been dead at brit bank from sittin there spammin. Forgot who it was but he said he killed me twice at brit bank lol. Anyway i was saying that even if you steal andget the message "you cannot/fail to steal that item" you still go grey to them. I dont care either way and dont need an explanation lol. Its a dirty job but someone needs to do it

Dellan

Grandmaster
You can't go grey from stealing from someone who is already grey. Same goes with reds, you can rob them without consequence. Attacking is different thing, that turns you grey to them. And in the moment you find out they're perma.. it doesn't matter that much if you go grey to them. You'll dust them in the moment you find out.

Kraden

Grandmaster
You can't go grey from stealing from someone who is already grey. Same goes with reds, you can rob them without consequence. Attacking is different thing, that turns you grey to them. And in the moment you find out they're perma.. it doesn't matter that much if you go grey to them. You'll dust them in the moment you find out.
You still go grey to them. And theres actually a percentage chance you go grey to everyone if they are blue. Theres actually alot of scenarios.

Dellan

Grandmaster
Wait, are you talking about trying to steal - if you're not in thieves guild - from innocent player who is not perma? Since when someone is perma, then they're counted as grey, with same mechanics, ie you can steal from them and attack freely, no guards. But I didn't tried this innocent stealing from innocent version, that might be different and might actually flag you.. reminds me that someone told me this while he was waiting out his time to join npc thief guild. That requires science, however I can't really test.. I have only one clean innocent char, rest are thieves and murderers.

Kraden

Grandmaster
Wait, are you talking about trying to steal - if you're not in thieves guild - from innocent player who is not perma? Since when someone is perma, then they're counted as grey, with same mechanics, ie you can steal from them and attack freely, no guards. But I didn't tried this innocent stealing from innocent version, that might be different and might actually flag you.. reminds me that someone told me this while he was waiting out his time to join npc thief guild. That requires science, however I can't really test.. I have only one clean innocent char, rest are thieves and murderers.
No thats not what im talking about since you have to be in thieves guild before attempting to steal from players. But im done with this lol im sick and totally do not feel like trying to explain anything. Im sure some UO guru will comment sooner or later

hoodfigure

Master
Last I knew about thieves was perma grey until you die after stealing from a player not npc. Thieves can steal from reds without consequence. Thieves cannot give kill counts if murdered, even in a dungeon etc, Thieves are not allowed to murder innocent players while being in the thieves guild, will be removed from it! Using stealing against an innocent player/ innocent thief not being in thieves guild will tell you "you must be a member of the guild", and if they ARE perma grey it will fail to steal.