Gotta say

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
You have to look at it from the other side too....a rez kill can only be accomplished by the person choosing to rez knowing theres a pk ther. Ive found , and ive done it myself, that you as the player getting eez killed 75%of the time are trying to trash talk.. if they kill the healer, help stuck or run to another healer/ankh. No one said this game was easy.

BUT MY FEELS CACK

WHAT ABOUT MY FEELS?????

Dj Double D

Grandmaster
Kn62OU8.png

The fucking Libyans.. How did we not figure this out sooner?

Cyclonite

Neophyte
It's all a form of control and power. People do it for whatever reason, to feel dominant, important, etc. Life is competitive, video games are competitive. This is UO.

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
I think there's some truth to it. I'm polite in UO, as I am in real life.

I have no desire to screw up someone else's gaming experience.

Some people do. They are known as ASSHOLES. So while UO may not be a perfect reflection of one's true self, plenty is still mirrored.

@OP: Why don't you report murders? If someone PKs me and takes my stuff and wastes a bunch of my time, damn straight I'm reporting them. Why wouldn't I?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
The real crazy-ness is catching some weird conversations that people have when they think no one else is around them.

113l1dF.gif

Lexington

Grandmaster
I believe that this game says a lot about someone's personality. Watching some people in this game, I believe that there are many troubled people playing that will wind up shooting up a theater or a Comic Con convention.

I understand PK'ers are part of the game, and they do make it interesting. But there are some folks that play here that just can't stand to see anyone having a good time. When I am out collecting resources with my carpenter or tailor and a red comes, I try to run. If he gets me, I usually congratulate them on a good kill. A lot of them will rez you and talk with you. I will generally let them loot me while we talk.

But those sick individuals that aren't happy with that really concern me. Again, I am not talking about real PvP'ers. It is those that pick on the miners, lumberjacks, skinners, etc., and do so just to because they want to make others unhappy.

They turn around and kill your pets, for what reason I don't know, other than to make the game harder for us non PvP'ers. They follow you to the healer and continue to kill you when you rez, why I don't know, because I am certainly not reporting them. How can killing me over and over be fun? It is more indicative of a personality disorder. These are the sick people that set fire to kittens. They are angry, frustrated and bitter little people and want to make everyone else as miserable as them.

What is wrong with these people, and am I the only one that sees that this is indicative of a personality disorder?

I’d agree. It’s does say something about someone’s personality but it’s not normally what you think.

This being an internet world where you can be anything you want, it allows people to portray themselves differently than they truly are. So basically, insecure people act out in a bullish type behavior because they can’t get away with it in RL.

This thread is gold.

In all my uo days, I've found that the wierd super nice guys, girls and guys posing as girls are the crazy serial killer types on this game.

They kind of remind me of those idiots door knocking about religion - they seem innocent enough until you see them on the news being charged for going balls deep on someone @TECHN9NEUOF 's age.

Tuabain

Adept
There are players who coz they realise its a game they play with real humans, play considerate towards others and treat them with the same respect they would like to be treated with.

Then there are those people who, because they realise it is a GAME they're playing, do not play considerate towards others and do not feel the urge to treat others with respect.

This does not make any of these players unpleasant individuals in real life, it only reflects their opinion of how a game should be played.

We all have our rage moments, when shit like reskilling and petkilling happen, log off and do something else.

I disagree! It reflects their personality. I started playing this game during the first edition of the pay to play version, what, 20 years ago? We wondered at the time whether it was designed as a study of communities. It spoke volumes about the players and their underlying desires.

A person that goes out of their way to make other people miserable, even if it is during a game, are just sociopathic. The claim it is only a game and therefore I can make your live miserable and satisfy my masochistic impulses is a rationalization.

Saying that these people would not behave rudely in real life is specious, in that I play the game in real life. They are the same people talking on their cell phone in a movie theater. I play this game in my real life. I am trying to accomplish something. Someone comes along and interferes with my efforts is interfering in my real life. You can't excuse it because of the anonymity.

Don't get me wrong. I understand PK'ing is part of the game. I can appreciate a good PK'er getting me. They are not the problem. It is the little punks that run around being as big an asshole that they can be because it satisfies some desire they have. It is a short ay to acting out these desires in the world, because they find doing it in a game is not enough. You look at these mass shooters, Aurora, Sandy Hook, etc., and you will find they all were involved in violent computer games. To ignore the behavior of sociopathic personalities in our games is what leads to these tragedies.

I personally believe that violent computer games, and UO fits in that category, greatly contributes to the violence in our society. Common decency has gone by the boards because you can be rude in these games, so why not be rude to people in the outside world?

Let me just finish by saying these rez killers are the same people that will fart in an elevator because they think it is funny. They never stop to think what it says about them.

Dellan

Grandmaster
You sound like a mormon.

I personally believe that violent games, movies, music or books have nothing to do with violence in any culture. Violence always was and always will be a part of it. Same as sociopaths. Criminals. Drug abusers. It's human nature. If you think it's bad with violence now, take a look in the past. You'd find human race is actually improving very very much when it comes to staying cool and not murdering someone because he looked at you wrong or touched what belongs to you.