great game. but pked alot... suggestion

besttherewas

Grandmaster
I guess I could say that the reds who defend the relaxed murderer rules here - which vary greatly from the way UO used to be - are supporting a version more like WoW than UO.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I see larger groups of blues roaming around purely looking to grief reds by instant stat lossing after 10 of them pressed closest target with an ebolt loaded. Granted, these shit blues like 24/7 etc prob have reds but get statlossed easy by smaller groups.

The problem of spineless red gank squads is partially tied to the penalty for dying as a red. Granted, most UO players are cowards in general, but the worse the penalty is for dying, the more cowardly they'll be.

I dont mind saying i found trammel a nice expansion of uo. U were able to focus on pvm which is fun and challenging on its own occassionally. I see hardly much fun in a confrontation of a pvp skilled char vs a pvm template. There is no challenge and thus no fun, only some portion of grief. Running off screen to recall mostly does not work (moment of surprise, preload, ping of your connection too bad, etc) thus you die in another pointless attack.
Sure bring your arguments of this uo era, its how it is, fight back, bla bla i heard all that and know it too well.
Still im saying, there are times where hanging around and focusing on pvm only is way more fun than expecting to get pked any second. This experience can become repetitive, boring, quit.
Just my 2 cents.

Gesendet von meinem Nokia 6610 mit Tapatalk

Winstonian

Grandmaster
I see larger groups of blues roaming around purely looking to grief reds by instant stat lossing after 10 of them pressed closest target with an ebolt loaded. Granted, these shit blues like 24/7 etc prob have reds but get statlossed easy by smaller groups.
Statting a red is "griefing"?! What the hell? Not only is it not instant and permanent, but that's the deterrence for murdering innocent players. Man... you reds really want this game more like WoW and nothing like UO.

Every time I hear a red ***** about stat, I die inside. The rules for murderers here are already ridiculously relaxed as it is.

This

Being pk is like candyland. Always picking on the de facto defenseless pvm chars. Kinda dull. Not?

Winstonian

Grandmaster
This

Being pk is like candyland. Always picking on the de facto defenseless pvm chars. Kinda dull. Not?

I definitely think it is, which is why I don't do it. When those PvM chars come on the forums and vent their frustration, PKs call them "Trammies" and brag that it's the "way UO is". Well, so is stat, and it should be more severe than this. Stop bitching reds.

jixjax

Novice
The problem of spineless red gank squads is partially tied to the penalty for dying as a red. Granted, most UO players are cowards in general, but the worse the penalty is for dying, the more cowardly they'll be.

This is an interesting point - and has truth to it. If I had a red and there was no penalty, I think I would be more adventurous and run solo very often. But if there's a heavy penalty, I'd definitely would only go out when there's near guarantee of safety/success.

On the other hand, if there was no penalty, I wonder if there would just be so many more PKs out in the wild...

On the whole, as a newb to UOF, I definitely get frustrated at the red ganksquads that rush through dungeons destroying new players and grabbing the loot - it's substantial to a newer player. I try to put up a fight when I can, but it's nearly always 2+ v 1, where I don't have a hope in hell.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
This is an interesting point - and has truth to it. If I had a red and there was no penalty, I think I would be more adventurous and run solo very often. But if there's a heavy penalty, I'd definitely would only go out when there's near guarantee of safety/success.

On the other hand, if there was no penalty, I wonder if there would just be so many more PKs out in the wild...

On the whole, as a newb to UOF, I definitely get frustrated at the red ganksquads that rush through dungeons destroying new players and grabbing the loot - it's substantial to a newer player. I try to put up a fight when I can, but it's nearly always 2+ v 1, where I don't have a hope in hell.
Well, reds actually gain something from killing PvM chars: gold, regs, weapons, armor... PvM chars often have the loot of higher-end mobs, with the health and armor of a headless one. This is the benefit of being a red.

In the past, perma stat was the deterrence. Dying as a red was significant, so bad players refrained from killing others. That doesn't exist here.

If the penalties from being a red were removed completely, there would be even more reds. The only way that will change is if 1) the consequences for being a murderer are increased (which won't happen), or 2) a better PvP alternative is introduced (which is currently happening).

Yesterday i was watching [insertpvpvideoplayer]tube. While it was interesting to watch a while it also showed the ugly side of being a pk. Whacking ppl with 2-3 hits was fun at first but quickly became sad to keep watching.

While the pk proved himself superior over and over I couldnt stop asking myself why exactly he enjoys this playstyle. Whats the fun in it? Quick checking all kinds of places to pick on easy targets?

I hope larger scale pvp grows quickly here (eg faction hq raids) cause thats bloody awesome. The single picking mostly weak targets is just sad.

Kudos to the player, he clearly mastered the fame mechanics. The style is not my thing tho.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
That's exactly it, though. I've never found enjoyment, or felt "good", while killing defenseless players with half life. It just seems so lame.

Cerebellum

Grandmaster
PK's arent PVPers.

A PvPer has a skill that can be backed up in a 1v1 or 1vGroup fight. Tourneys and events (IDOC, etc..) validate this.

PKs are opportunity hunters, they have very little talent and exist to grief others. (I'm OK with this and I'm not a PK) Typically they use a blue to scout dungeons or popular farm spots or lay in hiding until you're half health and finish you off to loot.

I do find any form world PVP on this shard to be laughable. Lack of insta-hit makes the outcome of a world PVP encounter a matter of who can run around the longest without getting caught up on the terrain.

All that being said, I love this shard, and I'm glad to be back to playing UO.

Metalhead-

Master
^ while I appreciate your opinion it's not absolute. There's plenty of PKs that fight anyone and everyone. Being a blue PvPer doesn't make you any more of a PvPer than a red. The same argument can be made for factioners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Struan

Expert
Given the anonymity that the computer and UO structure provide it is difficult if not impossible to reduce anti-social/criminal behavior without notable consequence.

The original UO dev team really struggled with this. Originally they planned to have zero consequences in UO as far as game mechanics and criminal behavior. They believed that people would generally act reasonably to each other. Turned out to be a huge misconception....the large majority of players preferred to target other players to the point of ruining their experiences.

They were forced to create some mechanics to stem the tide of assholes. Most of them were against ANY such measure..as they hoped that the community would regulate itself. It did not. It won't here.

Pk's who say they do it for PVP...I call bullshit. There has never, ever been a pk who ran in, saw a red-lined blue and healed them before attacking so that they got some good PVP. You do it because you get to impose your game play on others. It makes you feel powerful. Which is why the reds roll in groups as opportunity griefers. Take away all consequences and nothing will change...except the PK population will skyrocket.

So Reds...keep ganking, zerging, dry looting and rez killing.... keep bitching about PK punishments and trammie lovers..your thieves and scammers made the docks necessary and your PKs and griefers will make trammel or some equivalent...just like it did with the original UO.

You are your own worst enemy.

Bucs Den, town access restrictions and UO level statloss were put in place for a reason. UOF nerfs all of that...and you Reds call other people trammie lovers?!

Winstonian

Grandmaster
^ while I appreciate your opinion it's not absolute. There's plenty of PKs that fight anyone and everyone. Being a blue PvPer doesn't make you any more of a PvPer than a red. The same argument can be made for factioners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many reds have alts that are maxed out and faction or O/C eligible, but they prefer rolling PvM chars in dungeons. Sure, they can PvP on a level playing field, but it's far more difficult to fight players that are prepared. So they choose not to.

Herrac

Novice
I came to this server cause of the old school UO. And the old school UO was dealing with the PK's and all they encompass. It is what defined this game. If I wanted the PvM grinding of killing countless monsters with no consequence I would be looking at Elder Scrolls Online or something similar. I am here for the rush of oh crap I am at 40% life and a PK could come running around the corner at any given moment. If you are crying about the PK's get over it or go someplace else.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
I came to this server cause of the old school UO. And the old school UO was dealing with the PK's and all they encompass. It is what defined this game. If I wanted the PvM grinding of killing countless monsters with no consequence I would be looking at Elder Scrolls Online or something similar. I am here for the rush of oh crap I am at 40% life and a PK could come running around the corner at any given moment. If you are crying about the PK's get over it or go someplace else.
That's not really the point. In "old school UO", the penalties for being a murderer were far more severe than they are here, yet murderers STILL complain about stat. (I actually think that PKs complain more about stat than blues do about being PKed.)

Im surprised of the many valid arguments ppl make here. Expected this to become a bashing thread but its quite reasonable.

jixjax

Novice
That's not really the point. In "old school UO", the penalties for being a murderer were far more severe than they are here, yet murderers STILL complain about stat. (I actually think that PKs complain more about stat than blues do about being PKed.)

I agree. Old UO had reds, but they weren't overrunning all PvM activity. They were often a select group of skilled people who took on significant risk due to substantial stat loss. Some were definitely griefers, but most were focused on building a name and bounty on their head. And they were often very careful and mindful of the risks.

They didn't get overly ambitious, were selective and discrete in their killings - it was really an exciting experience knowing that if you died that character was out of commission for at least a week while you macrod skills back up.

This isn't what I'm experiencing with PK's in UOF so far - I'm sure there are some though... However, for the most part it's griefers who 'farm' PvMers, laugh about it, and don't have fear of repercussions.

Cerebellum

Grandmaster
Im surprised of the many valid arguments ppl make here. Expected this to become a bashing thread but its quite reasonable.

I will take this awesome server over any other MMO out there. I love this game, and this shard is amazing. I'm still getting to meet people, and have yet to really jump into the community, but I'll get there. It's silly to say, but I don't feel "worthy" yet.

I suggest that if you love this shard as much as I do, donate. Anything helps, and the people who maintain this service have done a tremendous job.

Long live UOForever !