Having issues throwing pots

Medais

Novice
So I have created a macro (drink expl, last target) and it doesn't seem to be working out for me. I get the countdown and throw around 2 (or a little after) and it blows up in my face every time. I am practicing on monsters and it always says that I am out of range. I usually have a clear site and this happens whether I am 2 tiles away or 8. I have also tried throwing earlier to compensate for ping and cpu rate but I still get the out of range error. Is there a min/max range I need to be in? I've noticed watching others and being PKd that it doesn't seem to matter what range the target is in. Is the range different for monsters vs. human targets? Thanks and any help would be appreciated.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
range is same for a pc and npc. what assistant client are you using? razor/steam/sallos? sounds like a macro issue. try using a 2 part macro it helps alot.

Part one
Usetype (explode pot)
waitfortarget
canceltarget

part two
usetype (explode pot)
waitfortarget
target ( either last /enemy w/e you use)

press the first part to start the timer then press the 2nd part at the sweet spot ( somewhere round 2 depend on latency)

Medais

Novice
I am using Razor with a Mace Alchy. I am using a simple 2 button macro. Drink Expl and then Last Target. I wanted to keep it simple but it may be too simple. I'll have to try your advice when I can get on next.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
I am using Razor with a Mace Alchy. I am using a simple 2 button macro. Drink Expl and then Last Target. I wanted to keep it simple but it may be too simple. I'll have to try your advice when I can get on next.

ive not used razor in a very long time but im sure someone else can share a macro that works

clutchxo

Grandmaster
You may need to make a macro/hotkey for "set last target". As per, your queing the potion and correctly hitting the "last target" macro, but if your last target macro is a earth elemental in shame and your practicing on a skeleton at brit graveyard, that is the reason your getting the "not in range".

Medais

Novice
Gotcha. That makes sense assuming that's what's going on. I guess double clicking your target doesn't automatically set it as the last target? Cause that's what I've been doing. I've been assuming double clicking the monster is setting it as my last target. I'm still learning the targeting system in Razor and not having the best of luck.

BEN!

Grandmaster
So I have created a macro (drink expl, last target) and it doesn't seem to be working out for me. I get the countdown and throw around 2 (or a little after) and it blows up in my face every time. I am practicing on monsters and it always says that I am out of range. I usually have a clear site and this happens whether I am 2 tiles away or 8. I have also tried throwing earlier to compensate for ping and cpu rate but I still get the out of range error. Is there a min/max range I need to be in? I've noticed watching others and being PKd that it doesn't seem to matter what range the target is in. Is the range different for monsters vs. human targets? Thanks and any help would be appreciated.

you got the right macros. I recommend practicing on a non-alchy character (mistakes hurt less). When i was learning i just carried a lot of explode pots on my tamer and would combo them with spells on mobs during pve activities (while waiting for a boss to die is a great time). if you get the timing right you shouldn't see the potion sit on the ground at all... once you get a few hours of practice under your belt you should be able to hit a high %. The target/distance away doesn't have any effect on when you throw it but ping can influence it alot (but i wouldn't bother paying attention to that until you get the basics down)

i wouldn't bother with the more complicated macros, once you learn to time them yourself they will only hurt you

BEN!

Grandmaster
Gotcha. That makes sense assuming that's what's going on. I guess double clicking your target doesn't automatically set it as the last target? Cause that's what I've been doing. I've been assuming double clicking the monster is setting it as my last target. I'm still learning the targeting system in Razor and not having the best of luck.

nah double clicking them to attack would not set as last target... really you are going to want to make a target closest macro and a attack last target macro as well and get in the habit of using those 2 hotkeys to attack targets (that way you get em set as target for your pots as well). double clicking to attack can slow you down quite a bit

Medais

Novice
nah double clicking them to attack would not set as last target... really you are going to want to make a target closest macro and a attack last target macro as well and get in the habit of using those 2 hotkeys to attack targets (that way you get em set as target for your pots as well). double clicking to attack can slow you down quite a bit

Thanks for the advice. Seems I really need to spend a lot more time navigating the targeting system. Does this approach apply to PvP as well? Would the criminal action GUMP be negated using this macro when attacking a blue or do you have to click OK every time to proceed?

Jace Belerin

Apprentice
Thanks for the advice. Seems I really need to spend a lot more time navigating the targeting system. Does this approach apply to PvP as well? Would the criminal action GUMP be negated using this macro when attacking a blue or do you have to click OK every time to proceed?
You can disable that through client options.

Young Star

Grandmaster
Practice with lesser explode pots from a NPC vendor. It seems like you just need to get your last target set before you throw. I can't remember exactly how it is done in razor but an easy way to get a target curser to set last target is to make a macro that uses your newbie dagger. It will give you a target curser to select anything you want. You should be able to also set a hotkey to target next enemy or even target next enemy humanoid. That will allow you to cycle through all enemies on screen, not necessarily the closest one. You can make another that does closest instead of next.

Jace Belerin

Apprentice
Practice with lesser explode pots from a NPC vendor. It seems like you just need to get your last target set before you throw. I can't remember exactly how it is done in razor but an easy way to get a target curser to set last target is to make a macro that uses your newbie dagger. It will give you a target curser to select anything you want. You should be able to also set a hotkey to target next enemy or even target next enemy humanoid. That will allow you to cycle through all enemies on screen, not necessarily the closest one. You can make another that does closest instead of next.
You can hot key set last target with razor

clutchxo

Grandmaster
@Medais Glad to have helped, if you need anything else or just want to try out some duels let me know, we can set some stuff up in the pits and it's all free. The server provides regs/potions to dink around with. It's very helpful getting timing down.

Medais

Novice
@Medais Glad to have helped, if you need anything else or just want to try out some duels let me know, we can set some stuff up in the pits and it's all free. The server provides regs/potions to dink around with. It's very helpful getting timing down.

Thanks again, your advice definitely helped. I have been working on targeting and timing this evening with pretty good success. I am still working on a lot of my characters so it may be a while but I will for sure let you know. I am just about to finish my 7X Fencer Bard (might switch to arch when I have the money) and then I am going to focus on my Alchy macer. When that char is done I would like to learn to duel. Or we can go premature and I'll deal with having inadequate stats. Also have a healer mage to work on. So much work, such little time. :-/

clutchxo

Grandmaster
Thanks again, your advice definitely helped. I have been working on targeting and timing this evening with pretty good success. I am still working on a lot of my characters so it may be a while but I will for sure let you know. I am just about to finish my 7X Fencer Bard (might switch to arch when I have the money) and then I am going to focus on my Alchy macer. When that char is done I would like to learn to duel. Or we can go premature and I'll deal with having inadequate stats. Also have a healer mage to work on. So much work, such little time. :-/
If you switch to archery let me know. I can get you on my ship doing MiBs. I got trashed last night by 2 trin guys cause I went by myself. Next time i'll be more prepared.

I give all the gold to the deckhands. just FYI.