Hit Chance Increase

K A Z

Grandmaster
Archery is ziemlich gut wenn du zu Champion Spawns z.b. gehst. Das problem ist halt, dass n increase der accuracy Archery ziemlich imbalanced im PVP machen würde, wo es durchaus in groupfights seine darseinsberechtigung hat... Hast du auch Provocation?

Akesha

Novice
KAZ, i think we shouldnt speak in german in a english forum, but thx for the answer.
no, i dont have provocation, because i take hiding in...

K A Z

Grandmaster
KAZ, i think we shouldnt speak in german in a english forum, but thx for the answer.
no, i dont have provocation, because i take hiding in...

why shouldn't we if its just about helping someone and we're both sharing the same mother tongue ? Anyways, you might want to pick up Musicianship and Provocation. Provo archers are supposed to be the strongest PVM class besides Tamers.

halygon

Grandmaster
i dont think so. if i use a normal kryss i hit more often and do more damage than using a bow.
there is something wrong or anyone hates archery lol ;-)

a good examble is fighting a paragon ettin (hell ya i am new).
fight with kryss or spear under 2 min.

fighting with a bow 3 > min.
this was with 109 tactics...!

well i like archery and dont understand why it sucks here, if i read wiki it says "dont take bow in pvp", that says all or ?
This is pretty simple. Hit chance is the same as other weapons, but because archery is ranged, it has SLOWER weapons. This means that you do not do as much damage per second. Hence it takes longer to kill a monster, not because you are missing more.

Arkzan

Neophyte
As others have mentioned, the archery "attack roll" is measured the same as any other weapon; it is just more devastating to miss with archery because of the slow attack speed.

And yes, archery dps is a lot lower than melee weapons. Again, this is because of the slow attack speed and potential for high burst damage. But consider this: in PvM you can stand out of range, and in PvP, burst damage is often king. Does archery need some love? I dunno ... maybe, but if it does, it doesn't need much.

Bryce

Adept
It's one of those trade-offs. As some have said, it hits hard. Very hard. Then you need to take modifiers into account vanq, power, accuracy bonuses and most importantly, ranged.

Due to the damage output of a bow, its swing speed and accuracy are aligned as such.
It may feel like you're missing a lot, but there inlies the marketing/economic possibilites of buying/farming for a magical bow that suits your needs. This is great for inter-player commerce and gets people into risky dungeons insteaf of strictly safe-zone crafting.

When a bow doesn't hit, sure it's an "awww". But when it does hit it's like "Bam!"

halygon

Grandmaster
you really think so?
food can help?
i'm never eat and drink and all good:)
Eating is one of those things that we do not know much about as the staff have not said much.

We do not know for sure that it helps in success rates of skills
We do not know for sure that it lowers the rate of fizzled spells
We do not know for sure that it makes you hit more often

We DO know, however, that eating and drinking affect skill gain. We know this because on the old forums, the staff released a note that said as much.

Other than this one item, any other claims are pure speculation on the player's part.

Amaranth

Novice
Another cool story from today:
Fight with earth elemental (again). My Archery is 100%.
20 shots, 3 hits!
Yeah, our hit chance is the same like others ;-)

TheFallen

Grandmaster
20 shots, 3 hits!
Yup really easy to make an argument using only the data that supports your side. Just ignore the 6 hits and a row right before and right after that.

halygon

Grandmaster
20 shots, 3 hits!
Well.. There are a lot of variables here.. not just "what is my hit chance with a bow on a mob"

Some of the items calculated:
  • Archery skill level
  • Mob Skill
  • Mob Armor (although I think this may be for damage reduction only -- armor is so screwed up on UO)
  • Mob Dexterity
  • Weapon accuracy modifier
  • Weapon current durability
  • Player's current state (ie moving or rested, etc)
Probably a couple more too. Who knows, maybe your weapon is beat to shit. Ever repair it?

Messremb

Grandmaster
Well.. There are a lot of variables here.. not just "what is my hit chance with a bow on a mob"

Some of the items calculated:
  • Archery skill level
  • Mob Skill
  • Mob Armor (although I think this may be for damage reduction only -- armor is so screwed up on UO)
  • Mob Dexterity
  • Weapon accuracy modifier
  • Weapon current durability
  • Player's current state (ie moving or rested, etc)
Probably a couple more too. Who knows, maybe your weapon is beat to shit. Ever repair it?

Don't forget Parry, Freaking bone knights...

Nanashi

Grandmaster
I don't know a lot about the statistics on bows or any form of weapon but I do believe that Archery is fairly balanced. Just the other day I bought myself a nice exceptional dragon slayer. I was hitting the beast with a fair amount of 100+ damage every so often, about 2-3 hits and yes it was like "BAM! BAM! BAM!" Moving onto my Silver/Vanquishing bow I found on a paragon poison elemental and one shot a Lich square in the eye! To be frank though, I believe you should be testing out Archery a bit further on mobs that are more profitable and less. Well you know, easy. Just like everyone else pointed out you should be using bows with magical properties. Not npc bows and regular non gm crafted bows. My provo archer is at 100 str /100 dex / 25 int so this build would probably change your outlook on archery in general.
**Also don't forget to add cooking in the mix, because we all know a full belly,fine postured and tightly muscled Archer never misses their prey!

Last edited by a moderator: