how i managed to capture 15 IDOC's in one evening

overflow

Apprentice
i'll be posting updates to this thread about my epic evening.

basically, for a week i would off and on wander around when i had some down time from business. if you see UO as a respite from work and you can swing running a client for 20 or 30 minutes you know what i'm talking about. it's incredibly relaxing to just click signs, so i don't mind.

i noted all the spots i found marked, "greatly worn". i put them in a rune book. over the last few days i began checking the signs every 4 hours. then last night after midnight, i checked on the spots before heading to bed. i had been expecting the houses to IDOC over time. instead, all at once, half of my marked runes went IDOC at 12:30am. this included a keep, 2 three-stories, and a castle.

i let other people in on the spots since i knew i'd need the help. my first house quickly filled up. the IDOC's collapsed steadily after the initial 4 hour mark. pack horses were especially helpful and in a few cases i was able to load up the chests quicker than the other looters.

there's obviously a very hardcore group of players that will stay up as a group until 6am simply to post gains in UO. while it was an exceptional evening for me, it worked out since i'm waiting for my next job to start. **** it, why not for nostalgia's sake? i don't think anyone was able to place a castle, and yes a ton of people got PK'd. there are at least 20 other upcoming IDOC's, but maybe since both my houses are full i can let you in on the spots some time ;)

overflow

Apprentice
Ciavoj3.jpg

rbK9KKh.jpg

gQBYYtA.jpg
uSeW5fX.png
uRo7CBq.jpg
WQgozVK.jpg

LK1GbNw.jpg
wLzVM4X.png

bxj107P.jpg

9RwIlhT.png

stWxfde.jpg
hkEQbvN.jpg
pbEATZy.jpg

r9Dh5Zy.jpg
iIZJTUn.jpg

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
While appreciated by many I am sure, and not appreciated by IDOCers I'm sure, it's probably not the best marketing idea for the shard to show so many IDOCs. Perhaps if people put in as much effort to recruit to the shard as they do in being vultures there would be less IDOCs. But I suppose that would be counterproductive for the vultures.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
While appreciated by many I am sure, and not appreciated by IDOCers I'm sure, it's probably not the best marketing idea for the shard to show so many IDOCs. Perhaps if people put in as much effort to recruit to the shard as they do in being vultures there would be less IDOCs. But I suppose that would be counterproductive for the vultures.

There were far more than 15 idocs on the last round.

Keep in mind that this is a weeks worth of idocs squeezed into 4 hours.

There will always be idocs. I've plotted up castles and keeps (sometimes twice on the same spot a few months apart).
I think a big part of it is people start playing and see hey, for a few hundred in dono coins I can have a keep like I always wanted! Easy come, easy go.

The IDOC changes make it pretty clear - staff wants lots of people at idocs.

vvv bingo vvv

Violence

Grandmaster
I've plotted and replotted plots in the same location too. I even plotted my old 18x18 home that I sold quite recently. People come and people go.

But yeah, the amount of IDOCs you saw recently is not the normal turn of events. Nothing to see here.

Same thing happened after the revert. I had 2 full books of greatly worns that went IDoC right after the revert. Turned out to be a very profitable morning for me

Violence

Grandmaster
Has nothing to do with the revert. This is not a common occurrence.

IDOCs will soon return to its former glory. Lots of shitty plots and chests full of sewing kits and inscription quills.

Selenus

Novice
Only 15? Slacker.

B-b-b-but there is nowhere to place houses on this server!!!

Imagine if I had attended almost every single one and yet there were always plots being placed almost immediately. People who are under the delusion that it's not that difficult to get a hold of a decent large plot or that there aren't some people abusing multiple accounts through vpn to place more plots need a reality check.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Imagine if I had attended almost every single one and yet there were always plots being placed almost immediately. People who are under the delusion that it's not that difficult to get a hold of a decent large plot or that there aren't some people abusing multiple accounts through vpn to place more plots need a reality check.

Sorry but if you attended almost every single idoc and couldn't place at any it is no ones fault but your own.

Violence

Grandmaster
I think you need a reality check.

We had about 7 books worth of IDOCs for today. We selected the best plots, and sacraficed many many plots we were not interested in or were simply too crowded. If you couldn't place what you wanted, then you either were not looking very hard or you're being unreasonable.

There are people who have replied to this thread who rely on IDOCing as their primary form of income. Of COURSE we're going to nab the best plots fast.

We also do this under the watchful eye of the GMs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Selenus

Novice
I think you need a reality check.

We had about 7 books worth of IDOCs for today. We selected the best plots, and sacraficed many many plots we were not interested in or were simply too crowded. If you couldn't place what you wanted, then you either were not looking very hard or you're being unreasonable.

There are people who have replied to this thread who rely on IDOCing as their primary form of income. Of COURSE we're going to nab the best plots fast.

We also do this under the watchful eye of the GMs.

I agree entirely on PART of what you're saying, meaning people that are widely organized and rely on IDOCs for income should come out ahead, over the soloers. But I had 2 books of idocs for today, cycling through them in the morning, several of them falling apart in the same 30 minute window, and whenever I cycled through one the space had already been taken (And I did prioritize the bigger ones).

What I'm saying is, I'm very sure there are people on this server (and I'm not saying it's you so stop acting like I'm pointing a finger at you) who manage to circumvent the 2 accounts rule by means of VPN to get themselves more plots just to sell - all it takes is a few individuals doing this to completely take control of decent empty plots everywhere. I could not place what I wanted not by lack of effort (since I was recalling nonstop for quite some time) but because any decent plot had a lot of people waiting for it to drop. Heck, the house with the red candle had over 15 blues outside, and that's not even people chasing for plots.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
I agree entirely on PART of what you're saying, meaning people that are widely organized and rely on IDOCs for income should come out ahead, over the soloers. But I had 2 books of idocs for today, cycling through them in the morning, several of them falling apart in the same 30 minute window, and whenever I cycled through one the space had already been taken (And I did prioritize the bigger ones).

What I'm saying is, I'm very sure there are people on this server (and I'm not saying it's you so stop acting like I'm pointing a finger at you) who manage to circumvent the 2 accounts rule by means of VPN to get themselves more plots just to sell - all it takes is a few individuals doing this to completely take control of decent empty plots everywhere. I could not place what I wanted not by lack of effort (since I was recalling nonstop for quite some time) but because any decent plot had a lot of people waiting for it to drop. Heck, the house with the red candle had over 15 blues outside, and that's not even people chasing for plots.

You are doing it wrong.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Yeah but if it's not a no blockage 18x18 on grass, waterfront, with its own healer then people will still piss and moan about 'gaaahhhh no housing wtf this shard suuuuucks'

There is a bit of a trick to IDOCs Selenus. If you want the plot really badly, focus on that. Let others loot the stuff while you sit hidden with your placemnt tool active and ready to place. As soon as you see the opportunity, place it. Even if its only a 7x7, secure that plot as quickly as possible. With a little luck you will get one. Thats what I did this morning and ended up with a 14x13 out of it.

Derpitus

Neophyte
How did you make off with so many IDOCs and not get killed by a throng of looters and reds?

I camped an idoc today for three hours only to get attacked by a group of reds right before it fell. I made off with about 1.8 kegs of greater agility potion, and I died a bunch of times.

Totally not worth it. The most profitable thing to do in this game involves something that avoids people entirely.