How to start AKA Sell me this pen

Berindon

Neophyte
Hi All,
I read all your wiki, I have been playing UO for many years and stopped for many other years. I saw that this is the most populated server and I wanted to know a bit more before starting.

-I am a casual player, happy to donate something if I enjoy the shard but I wanted to know how difficult is to start first. What will you do (in steps) to be financially efficient and being able to macro 2-3 characters to be self-sufficient? I am looking for a full loot game but at the same time, I don't have the time to farm for hours and hours daily.

-I saw those talismans that didn't exist in OSI. I don't understand if they are influential for the pvp, and if they are not, what do you use them for? Are they 100% required?

-I wanted to do a DEXXER as a template, potentially using fencing. Is it viable in PVP or is it everything dominated by mages?

- How do you sell donation coins to other players? Is that feasible to start with?

I read few guides on how to macro, but I don't know the spots to farm gold, to raise my characters and to be financially "independent", any help would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot for your future answers.

Decreamos

Grandmaster
Hi All,
I read all your wiki, I have been playing UO for many years and stopped for many other years. I saw that this is the most populated server and I wanted to know a bit more before starting.

-I am a casual player, happy to donate something if I enjoy the shard but I wanted to know how difficult is to start first. What will you do (in steps) to be financially efficient and being able to macro 2-3 characters to be self-sufficient? I am looking for a full loot game but at the same time, I don't have the time to farm for hours and hours daily.

-I saw those talismans that didn't exist in OSI. I don't understand if they are influential for the pvp, and if they are not, what do you use them for? Are they 100% required?

-I wanted to do a DEXXER as a template, potentially using fencing. Is it viable in PVP or is it everything dominated by mages?

- How do you sell donation coins to other players? Is that feasible to start with?

I read few guides on how to macro, but I don't know the spots to farm gold, to raise my characters and to be financially "independent", any help would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot for your future answers.

At first it can be difficult to start. Make yourself a bard mage/dexxer and you will rake in the gold. Just watch out for reds and have an escape macro. TRIN is a good guild that enjoys helping new players.

The talismans do not assist in PVP. They are strictly for PVM. You dont NEED a talisman, they add a fun dimension to the game. Once you get yourself settled you can work towards one. They're a lot of fun, but again not required.

Yes a fencer is viable in pvp. You'll probably want to add alchemy and throw pots for the higher end pvp. Otherwise youll get gunned down by those who do use potions. However, with fencing you can probably hit enough to at least get away if you need to.

You can easily sell donation coins to other players. They are blessed. Most transactions take place at WBB since thieves can not steal from the bank roof or within the bank itself. You need to get setup in discord because that's where a lot of the buy/sell action is.

So first you really need to join a guild. Look in the forums at the guild sections and find one that fits your play style!

tankian

Grandmaster
You can also buy mage/dexxer starter packs. Basically it will GM mage and dexxer skills and stats. It comes with an ethy mount also. You can buy donation coins and buy the starter pack at wbb on the donation vendors. I think it costs 5k coins.

Berindon

Neophyte
Yeah but I won’t buy something that is not sustainable.

I was thinking to buy the bars and make money for the other chars. How difficult is to farm though? Are there many PK? Can you solo mobs that drops enough gold?

I began on this server by mining. Think I mined up something like 20k ingots to start with, sold those for around 150k, made a provo mage and jumped right in farming all but the toughest monsters. Might not be the most exciting way to start, but it is relatively risk free, and will get you a good start on a mule character.

Berindon

Neophyte
Thanks guys, i am trying to raise my provo dexxer/archer. It looks like the skills are increasing pretty fast and i like the fact that i don't loose anything since I am young, that makes my provo macro easier.

I'll give it a go, best spot to earn some gold with the PVM character? Something pretty easy to start to take confidence of the game

Graveyards a good place to learn to manage your skills as they are generally pretty close to the guard zone, Jhelum graveyard is right beside the bank as well. You’ll outlevel these pretty quickly if you haven’t already, so it’s mostly just a place to get a hang of how your character will play.

After graveyards I would suggest the first level of just about any dungeon, avoiding Despise, and Wrong for the month as they will be covered for the month since the monster of the month is rat men. Fire, Deceit and Ice level 1 would be a little more difficult than the others, but Covetous, Shame, and Orc Cave would all be a little easier to manage and get you started gaining gold.

Edit: Covetous has the added benefit of being able to skim harpies for feathers to craft arrows if that’s any help to you.

Berindon

Neophyte
Shane you did a good job on creating this community. I like the vibes, unfortunately, I am getting a bit old with some (real) work commitments.

As soon as I get a sort of simple routine/ few basic characters to be self-sustainable I will definitely contribute to the shard.

Thanks again for all your answers guys

Young Star

Grandmaster
What I recommend is start a dexer with a melee skill to start getting starter gold while still having young player status. On a second account start a provoker and macro music and provocation. That will take a day or three depending on how long you keep him macroing. There are several provo training scripts for UO steam if you do a web search. There are even some for UORazor. So while that guy is macroing you can be collecting gold and equipment with your dexer and build up a nest egg. When your provoker is done I would recommend also adding archery.

A provo archer is pretty much the easiest farming template to make and use. When you originally make this character if you select your starting skills to have 50 provoking you should end up with a newbie blessed instrument. Make sure not to use that instrument when training. That will be a godsend for when you die to be able to instantly provoke monsters when you are a fresh res to get back to your body. Once your provo archer is ready to roll you can use him as your main gold farmer. You can use your original dexer as a PvP character or have it do the talisman quest to become a Berserker or Defense dexer. You can also start other characters and be able to fund whichever endeavor you choose with that provo archer.

PhireHawk

Adept
Best way to get going is to kill other players and take their stuff. That way you don't have to work for it. Not that I'd ever condone such behavior, but the whole risk-reward thing, ya know?

Let me recommend a thief char that can typically get tamers with low to zero resist to attack you and easily give up what they have:

Stealing
Snooping
Hiding
Stealth
Magery
Resist
Meditation

Stealth up to tamer, steal their mandrake, they send their pets on you. Kite the pets away, and hide around a corner so they stop chasing you, then circle back and kill the tamer. Usually good for close to 100 each reg, and occasionally something much much better they forgot they had in their bags. Once you work up the nerve, and have a place to stash them, using special fishing nets to pull pets onto your boat can be profitable!!

Enjoy!

Berindon

Neophyte
How do you kill a tamer with no Eval int?

I used to play the thief and I love it, but I don’t know how doable is in this shard

PhireHawk

Adept
How do you kill a tamer with no Eval int?

I used to play the thief and I love it, but I don’t know how doable is in this shard

Most tamers don't have room in their build for resist. Just depends. You'll know right away if they do have resist, and not saying it's impossible but it will for sure take longer to kill them.

That said, most provo-tamers are built like this:

Magery
Provocation
Musicianship
Animal Lore
Animal Taming
Veterinary
Meditation

Note the lack of resist, as well as the lack of wrestling. It's also viable if you're not skilled with a mage to roll a dexer thief build and easily steam-roll these guys into an easy score.

Remember - UO is only about fighting fair if you're trying to impress the forum trolls. Outside of that, it's about tipping the balance in your favor.

Good luck!!