I got boat ganked

Haven't played a fisherman since the new boating system.

i was travelling south and a pk came from behind me. Then in like 2 seconds I had a 3 other boats on each side trapping me.

Was I just unlucky and ran into a trap or do the high end boats have radar?
Do the high end boats move faster as well?

I was in a large dragon boat moving south at forward speed.

Because I have no idea how they could have set a trap so fast.

thriftyuoplayer

Grandmaster
Scan the horizon

or something like that is the radar..

each of the boats can scan for you and maneuver correctly and use guild or party chat to coordinate.

So yes, you were unlucky, and yes you ran into a trap and yes, boats have radar..
Don't know on speed, I don't use boats..

Only solution is to watch what your doing while fishing so you can recall away :(.

You can also use Scan the horizon to look for their boats so you can maneuver away from them.

Or load up with cannon balls and try to defend yourself.

ya.... it was in the bank.. I could have recalled but I was just in awe as he was blasting my boat away.

I hadn't seen that before so i was just in wtf mode. I had previously thought all boats moved at the same speed, so when he came from behind me I was like wtf is this.

It was such a well orchestrated gank I was impressed as I was angry. I had one mib on me, i just gm'd fishing and got my first one. Then I lost my first one.

Thanks for the info, ill just recall out quicker. Not rich enough to put money into my boat.

thriftyuoplayer

Grandmaster
Just imagine their surprise though, all that work and effort to kill you, thinking and hoping you would have been loaded up with MIBs...

All to get one MIB..

Just that alone makes with funny.

Bruno D

Adept
And yarrr we be watchin' ye, all of ye! And if ye ain't payin' no mind or know what ye be doin', we are going to sink you! Sounds like Yoar got ya. Silly landlubbers!

With some practice you can put up a good fight.

Bruno D

Adept
ya.... it was in the bank.. I could have recalled but I was just in awe as he was blasting my boat away.

I hadn't seen that before so i was just in wtf mode. I had previously thought all boats moved at the same speed, so when he came from behind me I was like wtf is this.

It was such a well orchestrated gank I was impressed as I was angry. I had one mib on me, i just gm'd fishing and got my first one. Then I lost my first one.

Thanks for the info, ill just recall out quicker. Not rich enough to put money into my boat.

The good news is that you don't need a lot of money for your ship upgrades if you are willing to fight and sink a ship with upgrades on it, you will get to loot them and apply them to your ship. Plus since the boat is sent to your bank now there is very little risk and you'll be back to making mad money in no time.

SidX

Grandmaster
Yes as others said there is a 'radar' that you can use by saying "Scan the Horizons" -- it shows you a map of all boats within a specific range (80-140 tiles or so?). You can use the Crow's Nest ship upgrade to extend your scan range. Also you can apply Superb Sails to your ship to have the opportunity to sail faster. You can say "Full Speed Ahead" on a ship with Superb Sails added and you will go 2x faster (I believe, kinda rough) for about 10-15 seconds.

My times may be slightly off but that's the general idea of those upgrades.. pretty much every PK ship will have Crow's Nest and Superb Sails to stalk and find you, then outrun you :p

Any PKs working together can trap easily, and with one shot your boat goes on fire so the fire fields will interrupt your recall spell. Then you're pretty much toast.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
We will be working in the next while on making a lot of tool tips/ help gumps and more to inform people of certain things like "Scan the horizon" command.

This is a case of just not knowing. Boating is a bit more advanced here on Ultima Online Forever, and it's done well honestly. But for new people coming into it i can see how it can be harsh.

Guttersnipe

Grandmaster
We will be working in the next while on making a lot of tool tips/ help gumps and more to inform people of certain things like "Scan the horizon" command.

This is a case of just not knowing. Boating is a bit more advanced here on Ultima Online Forever, and it's done well honestly. But for new people coming into it i can see how it can be harsh.
A UO Rudder like gump with the added commands would be great.

LSDjay

Grandmaster
Never experienced this before, sea chases seem funny as hell, have to go out sailing sometime :)

On a sidenote, what i would like to see when im about to get (boatganked) is the opportunity to set of a few kegs of greater explosion kegs, and while i recall away, or maybe funnier to stay and watch is ,1 big explosion and sinking mine and the nearby ships.
Then automatically, all ghosts myself and the boatgankers, being washed up on a very small island so we can have a laugh about it.

The explo kegs are ingame, why not be able to make a big sea explosion and kill and sink anyone onscreen, that would be hilarious.

Lady Macbeth

Grandmaster
Whoever had mibs loaded in backpack and still out fishing had a diff agenda from most normal ppl. May be their brain work differently... or don't at all...

Last edited by a moderator:

Vince[Tharakus]

Grandmaster
Make a macro saying Scan the Horizon and loop it. It will the info on map refreshed.

And yes, you can buy boat upgrades that are pretty cheap. One being upgraded sails. Making boat faster.
Large Dragon boat is fairly quick.

Experience

Grandmaster
actually its quite possible he got near you and placed the boats into the water to block you. it happened to me. i even have screen shots of it. but i was told it's legal

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Was fishing once, me and myself just off the coast of Britain when a ship of pant filling magnitude appeared on the mini-map. Although waters around my very modest boat turned brown with excrement, twas but a Yoar, a friend who took over the fishing adventure and taught me how insignificant amateur fisherman really are. True Story.