IDOC changes are awful

IDOC changes: awesome or awful?

• Total voters

Xiulan

Master
Kird requested that people who don't like the IDOC changes "stay out of his thread" so I'm making a new one (with a poll) because Shane said staff wants feedback on these changes.

Vote here if you're not on board with turning IDOCs into champs where you need a maxed-out defense tali or level 7 meta to participate.

drasked

Grandmaster
where you need a maxed-out defense tali or level 7 meta to participate.

It's not like 30 balrons spawn, right? And even those you could clear with a simple provo archer.

Last two IDOCS i attended i was on a stun alchy mage and managed to get out with quite some loot just by killing the smaller stuff or looting random corpses on the ground.

Perhaps you can give us more insight in to why you dislike these changes, as your original point of having to have access to high end PVM templates to participate in IDOCS is simply not true.

Personally i really enjoy that IDOCS turned from a 5min grab and run for a select few people whos greed overcame the boredom of timing idocs in to a 20-30min chaotic mini event, accessible to anyone, where pretty much anyone can get phat loot depending on luck and your bravado.

Last edited:

Xiulan

Master
accessible to anyone, where pretty much anyone can get phat loot depending on luck and your bravado.

Now that is untrue. They're not accessible to "anyone," they're only accessible to people who can fight off a pack of balrons, dragons, vampires and pk zergs at the same time.

The last few I tried I either got insta-killed by mobs or died to pks within a minute. With the ettins I could at least snatch a chest or two and run, never got anything valuable but it was fun. Now it's a complete waste of time and not fun at all.

There's already so many "chaotic events" that only certain people can realistically do: champs, RDAs, arch demon, harrower, house drops. Why can't we have just one thing that isn't like that?

drasked

Grandmaster
Now that is untrue. They're not accessible to "anyone," they're only accessible to people who can fight off a pack of balrons, dragons, vampires and pk zergs at the same time.

Anyone with 5k gold, the ability to open a corpse and loot what is on it can make bank at IDOCS now. Seems like a very minimal requirement.

I can't fight off packs of balrons, PK's etc... i killed like 2-3 minor mobs the last IDOC i was at and had to leg it every time 7 red koreans show in the corner of my screen. I was even there on a pvp template and not a pvm template. Yet i managed to get out with 500k+ in loot.

The harder the spawn, the bigger the IDOC window. This is highly beneficial for the "underdog" at the IDOC imo.

Xiulan

Master
Doesn't really matter how big the window is if you're dead the whole time. If "minimal requirement" and "anyone can join" are the goal, ettins accomplished that goal much better.

I don't think that is the goal, though. The goal with recent changes seems to be making everything BIGGER! TOUGHER! CRAZIER! MORE CHAOTIC! I'm sure that's some people's idea of fun but it's definitely not mine.

drasked

Grandmaster
Doesn't really matter how big the window is if you're dead the whole time. If "minimal requirement" and "anyone can join" are the goal, ettins accomplished that goal much better.

I don't think that is the goal, though. The goal with recent changes seems to be making everything BIGGER! TOUGHER! CRAZIER! MORE CHAOTIC! I'm sure that's some people's idea of fun but it's definitely not mine.

With ettin spawn it is much easier for a single group to control the IDOC. This is a bad thing for solo/new/noob players.

Xiulan

Master
Yeah, I get your window argument -- the chaos, the danger, and the time it takes to kill these things can open an opportunity to get lucky.

What I'm arguing is that it opens even more opportunities to die, and then it's sort of a moot point who's controlling the IDOC because you're not getting anything anyway.

Kird

Adept
this is just a lie

did all my looting with a provo mage and a beetle
Anyone with 5k gold, the ability to open a corpse and loot what is on it can make bank at IDOCS now. Seems like a very minimal requirement.

I can't fight off packs of balrons, PK's etc... i killed like 2-3 minor mobs the last IDOC i was at and had to leg it every time 7 red koreans show in the corner of my screen. I was even there on a pvp template and not a pvm template. Yet i managed to get out with 500k+ in loot.

The harder the spawn, the bigger the IDOC window. This is highly beneficial for the "underdog" at the IDOC imo.

/Thread

These new IDOC changes keep getting better and better honestly. Thinking how it was and some of the prior changes... it has stepped up quite a bit -- and I don't even PVM but I like it.

Not a huge fan of the NPC because I think these should be events for those that want to spend time to find them but it is what it is.

Kird

Adept
The last IDOC I was at you were talking about being on a character with a maxed defense tali and swampy, no?

Also, I took this discussion out of your thread -- stay out of mine.

no
I did the looting with my provo and a beetle
defense tali char is my mage
swampy I wanted to sell

what does this even matter?
there are a ton of arguments saying it benefits smaller guilds and single players, it stretches the duration of the actual looting, etc.
yesterday droped a big plot and it spawned maybe 2-3 balrons. there were still a ton of liches and even ettins. no need for talisman or pets to kill those
It's still UO, you could just grab loot from other players mobs or dead bodies. no need for talisman or pets either. Hiding might be helpful

With ettin spawn it is much easier for a single group to control the IDOC. This is a bad thing for solo/new/noob players.

this makes a lot of sense to me

Xiulan

Master
It doesn't actually benefit smaller guilds and single players. It's just creating a new group that can control IDOCs while effectively barring others from participating, so it's the exact same dynamic we had before. We had a chance to make IDOCs something that truly anyone could join, and this change blew it.

egor

Grandmaster
Kird requested that people who don't like the IDOC changes "stay out of his thread" so I'm making a new one (with a poll) because Shane said staff wants feedback on these changes.

Vote here if you're not on board with turning IDOCs into champs where you need a maxed-out defense tali or level 7 meta to participate.

And where the answer is, I do not like the IDOC at all, he pleases only 30 people who already have everything, but greed takes over! And it only hurts the server economy, stuffing it with things! more and more

As for the changes, they only worsen the situation! Happy only 20-30 people. Which are played and blue and PK. The main thing is a lot of people in the group! These people are applauding standing! As for the rest, who are few people or one people, They do not have a chance!! Because it is impossible to kill powerful monsters and run away from 5 PK! At that moment while you are killing a monster, you will be killed PK === If you run away from a person, your monster will be killed by the same people or from their group, or better yet they simply loot your monster. The main thing is worked out to the smallest detail, some people put the house and give out their owner, so that there was where to put the chests! Second people Trying to kill you, third people kill monsters and loot! All ! For them it's a walk in the park! The rest play the role of entertainment! When 8 PK kill 1 player! IDOC is completely useless! And only spoils the game and the economy!

egor

Grandmaster
no
I did the looting with my provo and a beetle
defense tali char is my mage
swampy I wanted to sell

what does this even matter?
there are a ton of arguments saying it benefits smaller guilds and single players, it stretches the duration of the actual looting, etc.
yesterday droped a big plot and it spawned maybe 2-3 balrons. there were still a ton of liches and even ettins. no need for talisman or pets to kill those
It's still UO, you could just grab loot from other players mobs or dead bodies. no need for talisman or pets either. Hiding might be helpful

this makes a lot of sense to me

On the contrary, it stretches the duration of the IDOC time. It plays into the hands of large groups of people! Small groups of people and single players are at a disadvantage! Read my post above!

silent

Adept
The simple fact is that IDOCS are going to be controlled by the bigger group with or without these changes. I don't see anything negative about the changes other than some people would prefer not to work for the free loot.

The plus side to the changes - People can't just use scripts or scavenge the items, since the mobs have to be killed to loot them. It adds an element of surprise, you can't just go scope out which item you want to nab.. you get whatever item you get from the mob you managed to get.

Lets face it, the IDOC NPC makes it easy to find them, how does this really impact the server? The one complaint I consistently read is that people who worked hard to find or time the IDOC are pissed off that someone paid 5k to find it in seconds.
In reality the thing nobody stops to complain or think about is, how it ACTUALLY negatively impacts the server / economy.

What do I mean right?

Well, if an IDOC goes without being found, all those items decay, improving the economy AND the rarity of the items already in circulation.

When the NPC was put into play I remember it being said - it was to prevent big guilds from overtaking the majority of IDOCS and it was to be tested. Not much feedback came from it, the cost of the NPC was increased. It was never officially addressed from what I saw personally, perhaps i'm wrong.
Lets face it, I don't like to mention names but (EQMS) big guilds were the reason this was put in place. We now know the NPC was ineffective. I say REMOVE THE NPC - and leave in place the new changes. Boost the economy, AND add a new, harder to find activity.

Why? Because isnt that was this era of UO was about? Find it, figure it out and have fun doing it...

I did not vote on this pole because there was no relevant choice for my opinion!

/end

Last edited: