Incentives for PVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

halygon

Grandmaster
It's crazy how posts magically disappear when inappropriate. I hear players that post said posts can also magically disappear -- this is a wizard game and all...

Keep inline with this forum's rules.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
I hear players that post said posts can also magically disappear -- this is a wizard game and all...

Keep inline with this forum's rules.

All has become clear now. I hear also that said returning players from their mysterious disappearance have some of their organs removed and said organs are sold through the dark net. I also saw a returning player with both of his arms surgically replaced with 0 charge, mini heal wands and certainly not forgetting that controversial time that Halygon proclaimed he was once a thief *in-game*...

How do you even sleep at night? *Not including the obvious pillow, blankets, mattress and sheep*

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
In short: the increased incentives for pixelfightz aren't meant for players doing the killing to obtain. Apply the progressive incentives for people doing the PvM (you can still pick up some PvM points of your own while you're out fighting too, don't forget) to increase the draw for PvMers thus creating more PvP. If everyone comes out richer everyone plays more.

Then your only real problem is dealing with the influx of riches on the server generated by all the action.

Your suggestion if I'm reading correctly is increase the progressive awards in PvM, so more people will come out for zergs to come kill? How is that PvP meaningful or even fun for those wanting to PvP against similar competition, and it’s really counter-productive when looking at long term sustainability of the playerbase.

I think you've missed the point - the idea is to increase consensual PvP (factions, order/chaos, guild wars), in order to lower the zerg PK populations, and allow people to play the game the way they want – there will be more people PvP’n because of the rewards, there will be more people PvM’n because there are less zerg PK’s running around, so they have a better chance at building their fortune, and moving on into PvP. If you are keeping both groups happy, eventually your population grows, giving you the ability to have more of each happening.

As for how scoring would work – I couldn’t honestly say, but in my eyes it’d be a consensual PvP system, ie. Factions, Order/Chaos or other, because giving people progressive rewards for PK’n easier/weaker PvE opponents is again counter-productive.

khajja

Master
there will be more people PvM’n because there are less zerg PK’s running around, so they have a better chance at building their fortune, and moving on into PvP.

Huh? So you're saying less pks make pvmers farm more because it's easier to get gold so they can stop being a pvmer and start being a pvper?

are you kidden?

Bromista

Grandmaster
Your suggestion if I'm reading correctly is increase the progressive awards in PvM, so more people will come out for zergs to come kill? How is that PvP meaningful or even fun for those wanting to PvP against similar competition, and it’s really counter-productive when looking at long term sustainability of the playerbase.

I think you've missed the point - the idea is to increase consensual PvP (factions, order/chaos, guild wars), in order to lower the zerg PK populations, and allow people to play the game the way they want – there will be more people PvP’n because of the rewards, there will be more people PvM’n because there are less zerg PK’s running around, so they have a better chance at building their fortune, and moving on into PvP. If you are keeping both groups happy, eventually your population grows, giving you the ability to have more of each happening.

As for how scoring would work – I couldn’t honestly say, but in my eyes it’d be a consensual PvP system, ie. Factions, Order/Chaos or other, because giving people progressive rewards for PK’n easier/weaker PvE opponents is again counter-productive.
Not exactly. There's multiple ways to increase action. Consentual PvP is good fun but it doesn't really need to be given great reward incentive because that's not the point and there's other ways to go about that. PvP systems need a little something, emphasis being on the word little.

Non-consentual PvP at champs does breed legitimate PvP action. If you give people more of a gauranteed return on the activities that have them sweet rewards you generate more PvP in the process. It is my opinion that players who aren't as discouraged to participate in those systems will maybe be more interested in sticking around to fight and not just PvM til they get rolled if they feel like they've already at least gotten something out of the deal and only have a chance at a reward (drops to pack) to lose. Right now I think a lotta players just push for that big reward with PvMers (because at their very base champs are a PvM thing) and all is lost at the end because of the way the reward system works. The action doesn't happen til the end whereas it could be taking place throughout.

You could have a leaderboard and even make it more like a long game kinda thing and take a page out the RDA book. You can see who you are competing with as you accumulate score for your season kinda shit, get a guaranteed return on your investment, and still have a chance to get drops to pack in the process as you battle.

You said it yourself, my suggestions get more people PvM'in...well what do you want a quiet server?

Just to be clear I said it was in fact not a good idea to directly reward bangin' on PvM'ers. That is already rewarded enough.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
You said it yourself, my suggestions get more people PvM'in...well what do you want a quiet server?

Theres already tons of rewards for PvMing.... aside from the gold mobs drop you also have things like relics, powerscrolls, taming scrolls, etc.

Bromista

Grandmaster
YEAH DOI

My suggestion puts people in places and gives them clear goals. What you are saying and I am not refuting is that those already exist. I am trying to put a new spin on the concept to help get people into those places and pursue those goals because right now champs leave a lot to be desired.

Big rewards for consentual PvP isn't gonna happen. Rewards and therefore PvP/PK attraction go to the PvM game so that's why I feel like we just have to accept that and improve the system. You guys really are all over this incentive thing...you just...don't want the incentive to be anything you can't get your hands on by zerging.

Am I reading this correctly?

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Big rewards for consentual PvP isn't gonna happen.

Huh? The whole idea behind this thread is adding them and it seems pretty much everyone agrees(including various staff) that consensual PVP needs incentives. The trick now is to come up with ideas on how it could best be designed/implemented.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Improve the system, improve the participation. We are supposed to be getting a militia and there's enough suggestions in that vein. There's enough borderline inconsequential suggestions regarding an increase in silver, new zoning, etc, but the point is there's something coming for the handful of people who don't really care that much to fight over pixels and wanna fight just to fight.

I'm thinking about the majority of the players I guess. Trying to get them to have something to fight for just a little bit more than something that can be lost at the drop of a hat by a zerg.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Huh? The whole idea behind this thread is adding them and it seems pretty much everyone agrees(including various staff) that consensual PVP needs incentives. The trick now is to come up with ideas on how it could best be designed/implemented.
Not that you are necessarily doing it, but it seems that like that is sure what some people want. I think some people are lookin' for big rewards.

Bromista

Grandmaster
And since you can't edit posts I want to clarify that big rewards for PvP systems are absolutely an option if they are made into a grind, similar to the progressive reward system or something you can build towards gradually.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I dunno I'm all over the fuckin' place I ain't gonna lie, there's a lotta stuff that should be considered but either way you gotta keep a lid on PvP rewards to keep things in balance.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Heres a basic outline of what i propose(for anyone still reading):

[factionscore

Rewards(point values subject to change):

Blessed rare sandals 1000 points
Blessed rare quiver 2000 points
Blessed cloth rare hues – 500 points a yard
1000 bottles – 50 points
3k each reg – 500 points
Blessed rare deco shield – 3000 points
Blessed rare deco staff 2000 points
Gheal wands 1 charges, 25points
Lightening wand 3 charge, 20points
Fancy mount 1: 3000 points
Fancy mount 2: 4000 points
Fancy mount 3(fanciest): 5000 points
Title Scroll(“PVP Master”): 2000 points
Title Scroll(“PVP Grandmaster”): 3000 points
Title Scroll(“Orange Killer”): 4000 points
Instant Bonded Warhorse: 250 points
5k silver: 250 points

(All mounts and wearables can be ridden or worn by anyone.)

Ways to accrue points(point values subject to change):

Dying to enemy factioner: 2points
Killing enemy factioner: 10 points
Killing enemy factioner in base: 15 points
Killing an enemy factioner with sigil: 20points
Helping capture a point of bloodshed: 5points
Being in point of bloodshed area: 1point per minute
Capturing a point of bloodshed alone: 10 points
Stealing a sigil from enemy base: 15 points
Stealing a sigil from a townstone: 10 points
Capturing a sigil: 50 points
Statting a red: 25 points
Killing an enemy faction pet: 5points

You will also steal 2%(rounded) of a players points when you kill them meaning the more points someone has, the more of a target they become.

Point modifiers(points you gain are multiplied by the following):

Own N number of sigils: x(1 + N/10)
Owning all sigils: x2
Being in smallest faction: x1.5
Being in largest faction x.5

So if youre in the largest faction, you gain half as many points as other factioners. If youre in the smallest, you gain 1.5x as many points as other factioners.

If you own all the sigils you gain 2x the amount, if you own any sigil you get a .1 bonus per number of sigils owned.

Event Bonuses:

2x chance of drops(frags, rares, etc) for factioners
3x chance of drops for factioners in smallest faction
1.5x chance of drop for factioners in largest faction

Other:

Typing in [factionscore brings up a gump showing a leaderboard of top 100 point getters. It would also be where you exchange your points for other items. You would also be able to give points to another faction player using this interface.

Faction commanders can now remove people from their faction… it takes 1 hour to remove someone. They cannot rejoin this faction for 24 hours.

There will be a killboard of the day showing who killed whom in factions. This will be used by the community to prevent people farming alts.
Also show a global message to all factioners when a factioner kills another factioner.

Do not allow people in multiple factions.
Do not allow people to kill alts or farm points from their friends.

Anyone caught breaking these rules will be permanently removed from factions and will receive a 1 week jail. Second offense is deleted character.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Well that's a little more fleshed out at least.

Problem: forcing players to one faction. Can't happen unless you strictly regulate things. Applications and waiting periods to screen out and prevent abuse. It's impractical.

Problem: now you have to monitor loads of crap.

What you are asking for, while heading in the right direction, is a lot.

Whereas you look at the invasion in Glow last night. It wasn't straight nonstop PvP madness omgz but I saw everything last night. Reds, oranges, blues. Fights happened. A raid attempt happened. A faction PvM char (yours truly) took first and got away with a powerscroll in pack and a title hue scroll in my bank. I was rewarded fat, I felt a rush, and there was loads of action where there would have otherwise been none. All centered around a PvM event.

Is this not what you want?

Bromista

Grandmaster
No one killed me during the entire event btw even though I was vulnerable at practically all times.

Shame on you, UOF.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
No one killed me during the entire event btw even though I was vulnerable at practically all times.

Shame on you, UOF.
Well that's a little more fleshed out at least.

Problem: forcing players to one faction. Can't happen unless you strictly regulate things. Applications and waiting periods to screen out and prevent abuse. It's impractical.

Problem: now you have to monitor loads of crap.

What you are asking for, while heading in the right direction, is a lot.

Whereas you look at the invasion in Glow last night. It wasn't straight nonstop PvP madness omgz but I saw everything last night. Reds, oranges, blues. Fights happened. A raid attempt happened. A faction PvM char (yours truly) took first and got away with a powerscroll in pack and a title hue scroll in my bank. I was rewarded fat, I felt a rush, and there was loads of action where there would have otherwise been none. All centered around a PvM event.

Is this not what you want?

The event was in guardzone.... what the fuck are you talking about?

Bromista

Grandmaster
I was on a faction character.

The boss was actually outside guard zone.

I was mostly in the company of fellow Minax players during the invasion but I was free to be attacked by any factioner during the event. To add to it I flagged twice during the boss actually. Decrimmed right before the boss died and as CoM rolled in. That's a new detail but it still begs the question...what game are you even playing and can you or can you not read?

There was risk involved. I just managed to avoid it.

Now see the thing is, I wasn't really even benefiting much by being in factions I'm just in it for the occasional silver drop and the 5k pet res. But even that little bit was enough for me to put myself at risk during the entire event.

So you maybe give a little bit more incentive fpr the PvP elements (but not too much), make the scoring count the whole time and who knows maybe more people are doing this.

And fighting each other.

And fighting you.

I'm done.

Peace the fuck out.

Status
Not open for further replies.