Insta-Hit?

Would you support Insta-Hit weapons in PVP.

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

haties

Neophyte
What are folks thoughts on bringing back the T2A feature of instant hit weapons? This would re-introduce the tank mage template and create some diversity I think in PVP. Interested in what folks perceived pros and cons for this are.

haties

Neophyte
cant have instat hit and explo pots hitting like a truck.
What if you created a 3 second delay for using a purple pot for anyone that just armed a weapon? Would make non-viable Alchemy mages using halberd or halberd mages using alchemy...

Ba Ba Booey

haties and I were talking about this a little, so I've come to offer a slightly-more fleshed out view of our discussion.

We agree, in principle, that you can't have tank mages using explode potions. It's too much damage stacking.

We also don't want to replace alchy-stun mages with tank mages; we want both options for PVP.

We like the idea of instahit because it's something that
1) a lot of us are familiar with
2) shouldn't mess with PVM
3) can be tweaked to avoid creating super-pks

My initial thought was that defensive wrestling was part of the problem. T2a tank mages had wrestling and no anatomy; their weapon hits were less devastating. Defensive wrestling, however, is used outside of PVP and I don't want to step on anyone's toes there. You could also change the forumula for defensive wrestling to ( (eval + anat) - (weapon skills + tactics) / 2 = defensive wrestling skill). This would keep defensive wrestling for healing/anat mages but strip it from tank mages.

We talked a little about limiting explode pots to 1-handed weapon holders but that imposes a burden on dexers and doesn't really solve the issue either -- war forks and long swords still do decent damage and explosion potions are good enough that I'd compromise my weapon's damage if doing so let me use them.

The "three second delay between arming/disarming a weapon and priming an explode potion" keeps tank mages from stacking purple damage in their weapon combos, doesn't nerf dexers (except in a corner case when they disarm to use a magery heal after tossing a potion), and still lets tank mages try to chase down runners with potions.

I dont mind it either way, but i've had tons of fun playing a hally mage (spoiler alert his name is hallymage) without insta hit. It's even pretty decent in alchy duels if you survive their initial dump. It's a template i play several times a week.

Ba Ba Booey

Yeah, I've seen how the work in duels, and it does seem like you can often generate some inevitabiliy if you survive their first dump. It's very different from what you see in the field. Without instahit, tank mages have a lot of disadvantages against a lot of templates. I don't know if instahit would solve that problem (or just create new ones), but I think it's worth a try.

Doesn't seem like anyone else is interested though. :)

Yeah, I've seen how the work in duels, and it does seem like you can often generate some inevitabiliy if you survive their first dump. It's very different from what you see in the field. Without instahit, tank mages have a lot of disadvantages against a lot of templates. I don't know if instahit would solve that problem (or just create new ones), but I think it's worth a try.

Doesn't seem like anyone else is interested though. :)

As far as in the field goes, it does have some nice advantages, especially if you mix in the dp 1 hander, it's not bad for chasing someone down who bails, it's sneaky against a dexer if you get him on his heals and he's casting heals / cures etc. Also is great for large group battles when you are wanting to create space for your team to med and cause the enemies to have to at the minimum move and heal the dmg.

But yeah it's not popular for a reason, it is kinda limited in effectiveness and surely to maximize it, you need the stars to almost align lol.

PhireHawk

Adept
I have a Hally mage and find them to be extremely effective in duels, and it's a VERY fun char to PK with - but I don't see it being viable in a true field fighting scenario for several reasons - but primarily because the name of the game in the field on this server is kite to separate. Hally mages - while creating very good damage, are easy to kite and separate because of the nature of how they attack. Probably why they aren't as popular here with the alchemy advantages.

Hally mages - while creating very good damage, are easy to kite and separate because of the nature of how they attack. Probably why they aren't as popular here with the alchemy advantages.

Yeah I've noticed that in a large majority of my field fights i don't actually use the weapon very much, it's more of a 1 off for unique scenarios. So i'm basically handicapping myself with 2 skills i'm not makin any use of when i could have some proactive like stun, alchy, scribe, nox etc etc.

But i also play the game a lot like it's 2000 lol so there's that.