Installation Problem and How I Fixed It - Razor Installation Corrupt

Was this helpful?

• Total voters

Undeadenemy

Neophyte
I thought I'd post this solution here in case other people are having similar problems. This could also be considered a bug, so maybe a copy of this should go in the Bug Reports forum as well.

BACKGROUND:

1) I am running Windows 7 Home (64 bit). I have 2 solid-state hard-drives (though the fact that they are solid state is probably irrelevant).

2) I downloaded the software from the site, selecting the option "I DO NOT Have UO Installed on my Computer." I already had the .NET 4.0 framework installed, so it skipped that (I later tried it with installing it fresh as well to no avail).

3) The download and install process would go through, and finish. I would click the icon for UO Forever on the desktop, and receive the error "The Razor Installation is Corrupt." This happened no matter how many times I downloaded the product, where I extracted the .RAR, etc.

SOLUTION:

The first time or two, I clicked Next, Next, Next, through the installation process. The third time or so, I noticed that the UO install was defaulting to my D:/ drive rather than the default C:/ drive. I changed this. I also made the same change when it asked about installing Razor. After the install, the problem continued: "Razor Installation is Corrupt." I noticed that while the Razor folder had been added to Program Files, there wasn't really anything actually in it.

The actual solution itself, was that I downloaded Razor from it's own website, and installed it separately. Once I had done this, UOF booted perfectly the first time.

THOUGHTS:

While I have not tested the download from another computer, it is entirely possible the files that this website is delivering are not complete, or the code for the installer is bugged. As I said above, no matter how many times I downloaded the files, or how I changed the options, the results were the same because the problem was with Razor not actually being installed.

Could this be some kind of hardware conflict of mine with the installer?
Certainly.

-Could this be a corrupt or incomplete file delivery from the website?
Possibly, though after 3-4 download attempts, you would think at least 1 of them would have succeeded fully.

Could the installer itself be bugged, so that what is being delivered itself is incomplete?
This is what I think is going on. It might be a good idea for you guys running the site to double check your code for that particular section.

Also, since successfully getting things running, I have enjoyed the server immensely. I got in just in time for Lord British's appearance last night, and now count that experience as one of my best memories in gaming. It isn't every day you get an audience with a Game God. I also want to thank the UOF team for their professionalism and clear love they have for this series, and their dedication to putting up a quality server.

I hope this helps someone out there that might be having the same issue. If it helps 1 person, it was worth typing., if not, best of luck to you finding your own solution, and don't forget to post if you figure something out, you might help guide others.

Rippen

Adept
This definitely helped me. I did find I wasn't 'rubber banding' with the stand alone razor install but now it started again. Not sure what causes that but at least Im in the game!

William Tripet

Hello all,
Just installed from the link on the site, got a fatal error. tried an uninstall then a reinstall and still have the same problem.

Any one have any suggestions?

I am running Win 8 os system. Will this work on that

Thanks

Rippen

Adept
At what point does the fatal error occur? Is this after the extraction? During the main game install or during the razor install?

William Tripet

The install went fine. I get the error when I start up the program, the razor splash loads and then gives me the fatal pop up. I have tried installing the razor direct from the razor site. did not help.

Rippen

Adept
I would try and uninstall it completely, including razor. Are you comfortable with your registry? if so, I would go into your start menu, in the search box type "Regedit" and then under the edit menu, search for anything Ultima Online related, get rid of it and it only. So you essentially get a complete uninstall, older games cause issues sometimes.

I would then reinstall the game, when it asks to install the 2nd part which is the UO Forever portion (Razor etc), I could cancel that and end the install. So it essentially installs UO only. Then go to the site at that point, get the fresh Razor install, like you said you did, and install it at that point. This should be a fresh install AND a separate fresh Razor install from the site. Give that a go and let me know if it still causes an error. This is what I did and it fixed the exact error you have, I experienced this as well.

Let me know.

Ponchibego

Any word on whether this worked or not? I have a brand new laptop so I have no old game copies on the computer anywhere. I get the exact same error window that just says Fatal and gives no explanation upon opening Razor.

Ghostdancer75

I had the same problem and found another solution.

Instead of double clicking the icon, right click on it and select "run as administrator". After I tried that it ran fine.