Laptop troubleshooting - help!

Yohee

Expert
Hey everyone

I've got a brand spanking new laptop - high end Asus ROG. It played UOF beautifully for about a week - and now its almost unplayable.

My ingame ping (-ping) is consistently between 700 - 1.2ms. When I manually ping at a command prompt (with -t) I get a consistent 250 or so.

The behavior is always the same - my toon will take between 4 - 7 steps, pause for two seconds, and repeat.

I have an equally high end desktop PC which works fine, and interestingly it's ingame -ping is always ~ 300.

I did install the new UO client in order to try Sallos - but that's been removed and I've installed a fresh copy of UOF on the laptop.

Other than the hardware, the only difference between the laptop and the desktop is that the laptop is running on wireless - but the wireless box is new and I get the same download speeds on both.

I'm a long way from technically illiterate but I'm stumped. I confess I haven't tried plugging a network cable into the PC directly to test if it is the wireless, but given that that every other online experience is fine I'm not inclined to think it's that. I am playing at a high resolution but given the laptop specs I can't imagine that it's a resource issue.

Help!

crazy-horse

Master
Wireless is always suspect. Try a cable connection and see if it improves. A bad wireless connection doesn't have to mean your new router is bad, there can be all kinds of interference when wireless is concerned.
Also, try turning off your antivirus for a few moments to see if it might be trying to filter content in the UOF stream.
For the record, I have an ASUS Republic of Gamers edition too.
Another thought, I havent tried Sallos, myself, so could it be possible that parts of it are still trying to run? How did you uninstall it?

Yohee

Expert
Yeah I guess thats the next step (a network cable). Just bloody odd that it worked fine for a week. I'll try and Antivirus too.

I didn't uninstall Sallos itself (although if I understand it correctly it just sits over the top so shouldnt interfere with Razor) - I understood the copy of UO that I installed from OSI directly (that you need for Sallos). In short - clean install of the actual UO client and Razor.

Sallos would work for about 30 seconds and then crash out. I have to say it looked like a million bucks graphics wise - although the old client on ROG isn't that shabby either.

Thanks for taking the time to try and help - will report back!

Ya I was gonna suggest try hardwire over wifi instead. my laptop and ps3 are finicky woth wifi some days its great others its terrible. Also double check your router to make sure its on a high signal strength no bandwith limit and that noone else is accessing it (my halfway house neighbours hacked mine and were stealing my internet).

Also if that doesnt help try it at a friends of coffee house see if the connection is better. If not you could be one of those unlucky people that get an faulty ethernet card.

Yohee

Expert
Its definitely not the Wifi - or at least, not in a traditional sense - I can download at 4mbs, so it isn't an issue of throughput to the laptop - and every other online gaming experience works beautifully.

I'll try a LAN cable just to rule it out but it seems to be something else!

crazy-horse

Master
well here I am, still using a pc from 2008 thats making all kinds of crazy noises.

FU and your high end computer lol
And playing a game from 1997, made for dialup connections... we should all be overpowering that game.
A low end machine should have no trouble at all, in fact I have a netbook with 2 megs of ram that I use for macroing skills while I actually play on another.

Yohee

Expert
Righto - updates:

• Turned off Antivirus and Firewall
  • Manually removed Razor and UO, restarted, clean install in another location
  • Tried a LAN cable
  • Updated Video Card Drivers

Still I only get half a dozen steps and then a brief freeze (occassionally there is a white flash at the same time).

lxnrfq0kv

Here's a pic of both a speed test and the local ping to show that wireless is working A-OK.

Help again! I'm stuck - I can't think of a next step other than perhaps making a new profile on the laptop and trying it off there. If anyone else has experianced this sort of pausing/stuttering and managed to get a fix I'd be grateful for any help.

edit: doesn't look like image worked - link here http://postimg.org/image/lxnrfq0kv/

crazy-horse

Master
First, the last couple hours its havinf move/no-move alot for me as well, but it just started the couple hours or so, so its not what you are already experiencing.
The white flash when it stalls says alot. Its 99% likely a video thing for you (and you updated the drivers already). And an RoG class machine having trouble with video worries me. And I believe you mentioned earlier no problems anywhere else, only UOF?
Ok, clean remove/reinstall... but did you go through the registry? Thats where old stuff thats not supposed to be there, remains.. the haunted house of Winderz.
If you dont have it, download and install.. AND run CCLEANER
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Choose the free one, you're not interested in anything in the pay version.

Yohee

Expert
Thanks Crazy - no, no other problems. Machine runs like a dream. It's the barest of flashes, I almost didn't mention it. I'm sure I've seen it before in windowed moce.

I can't imagine that something as old as OSI thats only been installed for a week is going to have gremlins in the registry but I guess it's something else to try. If these was some inherant problem with installing the OSI version of the game with UOF already installed I'm sure the forums would be full of people complaining every time somone else wanted to try Sallos!

If it wasn't for the fact it was working fine for a week I'd keep rolling back video card drivers to find one thats better... but none of that explains the ingame ping being so skewed. Can anyone confirm that the ingame -ping command actually pings against UOF and not OSI?

SidX

Grandmaster
Try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, opening Task Manager, then going to the Processes tab. Sort the "Memory" column and post what the highest three usage processes are along with their memory (i.e. svchost.exe, 43,876k). Maybe there's a shit process running that's wrecking your CPU.

Yohee

Expert
Checked that - only half a dozen things running. The laptop runs beautifully - I can run Elder Scrolls + borderlands 2 simultaneously at Ultra, no issue at all. Thanks for all the suggestions though!

crazy-horse

Master
Can't stop thinking that you might have two UOF streams competing with each other. Might try uninstalling it all again, this time deleting the directories and the game and and/or loader's directories user appdata in your profile directory. IF you are comfortable with going into your registry, delete instances in there also. If you don't know if you're comfortable going into your registry, then you are not and leave it alone. :)
After you look a third time to verify you've removed the program directories and apdata directories, reboot and reinstall.
Sometimes computers can be such b*tches.
But, the constant stalling is a indicator of two copies of the same program trying to run despite each other. The flashes, I don't know.. maybe the hardware trying to swap between the video input of both instances?

Yohee

Expert
Giving up!

I've removed all copies of UO, removed all registry entries, made a new profile on the laptop and did a fresh install - identical behavior. I downloaded a new copy of the UOF install and when that didn't change anything I copied the install from the desktop.

The installs have been for all intents and purposes fresh - so I have to assume there is just some inherent conflict between the laptop and UO.

The white "flash" that I mentioned that comes from time to time also happens on my desktop (which is working fine) so I'm confident that that isn't related or an issue.

Soooooo - stuck! I'm clean out of ideas and tried everything I can think of!

ShinPi

Grandmaster
Giving up!

I've removed all copies of UO, removed all registry entries, made a new profile on the laptop and did a fresh install - identical behavior. I downloaded a new copy of the UOF install and when that didn't change anything I copied the install from the desktop.

The installs have been for all intents and purposes fresh - so I have to assume there is just some inherent conflict between the laptop and UO.

The white "flash" that I mentioned that comes from time to time also happens on my desktop (which is working fine) so I'm confident that that isn't related or an issue.

Soooooo - stuck! I'm clean out of ideas and tried everything I can think of!
Mine flashes to from time to time.when mine was acting stupidly crazy I resynced and it helped a ton

ShinPi

Grandmaster
How do you resync?
It in razor click hot keys then miscellaneous scroll down I lil it will say resync client its good to do it often I have mine hot keyed. Maybe someone else can chime in on how it actually works