lets discuss thieves risk

monktoast

Expert
So that makes them able to steal TOUR time? Money and resources? Just because they can't score big hits 50k an hour?

this has nothing to do with "time" but everything to do with whose time are you risking.

Those 59k am hour farmers are not risking anyone's time money or resources.

Thieves are risking their own time us 2 minutes rex time And their victims time money and resources.

Time is not a good balance vs time money and resources.

Simple logic and basically why stealing is illegal irl too.

Kraden

Grandmaster
this is not a rant, but a real discussion I'd like to have. I only been stolen from once and it was a few regs, the guy died and was back before I could even fishih looting his corpse for my regs back lol. but I never actually raged like I usually do. I understand thieves are a great part of this game, thieves are awesome to me...but...

pvm kills monsters..monsters have no tiem or resources invested. the risk the pvmer is dieing, or reds killing them and looting them and wasting their time money and resourcese..you see when a pvm kills a monster they are only wasting their own time/money/effort for failure..not the monsters. when a red kills a person, the pker is risking either their own time or the players time money and resources, but that risk is there for the red, to get statted. its called justice and risk.

now a thief? they can steal all day long and never worry about failure, which will never bring justice. ever. when they see a target, they never have to worry that failing to steal will get them statted or any ANY trouble whats so ever. so they have everything to gain and NOTHING to lose. yes somewill say they lose the time they took to scout a great target, but there is zero risk for failure, they are pitting their time, to anothers players time who doesn't deserve their time and effort put to risk unless theres a chance for justice or balance.

the thief is risking another players time, money and effort for their own gain..but the thief only risks the time it took to set up the steal. obviously if you are a great thief you deserve success, because you did what it took to accomplish the task. im not hating on thieves.

but if you fail, there NEEDS to be some type of punishment, to make thieving a risk vs reward situation instead of a kamakazi no fear situation.

its called balance, and with the crime of stealing, there is no balance. they risk very little of their own, yet risk a whoel lot of another players.

unless, I'm missing something..maybe there is punishment for stealing? if so, please let me know

Only read the first part, but if that thief got back to you without you being able to loot your regs back than something is wrong because if he stole from you he more than likely went criminal, permagrey, and would have to wait 2 minutes to rez at a healer

monktoast

Expert
It was by the crafter guild I assume he used the ank there

I'm just being conceptual here ill respect that it has been discussed and people like it this way. I just feel for those innocent oblivious victims.

Ill end with these two scenarios as a basic of my thinking on this subject:

1. Red try's to pk you. You kill him and stat him and you say " well don't murder people and you wouldn't have to have stat loss for however many hours

2. A thief steals your million dollar taming scroll. You kill him. You say " well don't try to steal if you don't like having to wait 2 minutes to rez

And there it is

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
So that makes them able to steal TOUR time? Money and resources? Just because they can't score big hits 50k an hour?

this has nothing to do with "time" but everything to do with whose time are you risking.

Those 59k am hour farmers are not risking anyone's time money or resources.

Thieves are risking their own time us 2 minutes rex time And their victims time money and resources.

Time is not a good balance vs time money and resources.

Simple logic and basically why stealing is illegal irl too.

Look at it like this:

-I can log on my bard and spend an hour farming. Guaranteed 50-100k. Im risking an instrument, some regs, and an hour of play time.
-I can log on my thief and go stealing. Likely that I get nothing worth more than 2-3k. I'm risking an hour of play time.

The hourly gold per hour of your average thief is ABYSMAL compared to your average farmer. PS thieves who are good/use scripts can obviously make considerably more.

Just an illustration that thieves aren't risking 'nothing'.

jeffe

Master
This thread is useless. You can easily protect yourself from thieves.

1) Use a magic locked crated. Get a small crate, takes very little carpenty skill to make (maybe even craftable with 0 Carpentry) put your regs inside, and cast Magic Lock on it. Find a powerscroll or other uber item? Use Magic Unlock on it put desired items inside. Relock with Magic Lock.

2) Less complicated method. Carry around 5 or 6 pouches. Bonus if they are "trapped." Open the pouch you want to use to store your precious goods before trapping it. Hide this pouch under robes, runebooks, gold, etc. Its gonna take a thief longer to now open your pack and find all those Powerscrolls, rares, High-end weapons, and statues that you are getting apparently on a 15 minute basis. When you see a trapped pouch go off keep moving. Don't stand still.

There you have basically made a thief ineffective against you. This is not an easy game there are ways around most nefarious characters. You just have to work a little harder. If you don't want to put in the effort to do these things and still have a problem with thief mechanics. You will not last here.

Can we move on now?

Guttersnipe

Grandmaster
this is not a rant, but a real discussion I'd like to have. I only been stolen from once and it was a few regs, the guy died and was back before I could even fishih looting his corpse for my regs back lol. but I never actually raged like I usually do. I understand thieves are a great part of this game, thieves are awesome to me...but...

pvm kills monsters..monsters have no tiem or resources invested. the risk the pvmer is dieing, or reds killing them and looting them and wasting their time money and resourcese..you see when a pvm kills a monster they are only wasting their own time/money/effort for failure..not the monsters. when a red kills a person, the pker is risking either their own time or the players time money and resources, but that risk is there for the red, to get statted. its called justice and risk.

now a thief? they can steal all day long and never worry about failure, which will never bring justice. ever. when they see a target, they never have to worry that failing to steal will get them statted or any ANY trouble whats so ever. so they have everything to gain and NOTHING to lose. yes somewill say they lose the time they took to scout a great target, but there is zero risk for failure, they are pitting their time, to anothers players time who doesn't deserve their time and effort put to risk unless theres a chance for justice or balance.

the thief is risking another players time, money and effort for their own gain..but the thief only risks the time it took to set up the steal. obviously if you are a great thief you deserve success, because you did what it took to accomplish the task. im not hating on thieves.

but if you fail, there NEEDS to be some type of punishment, to make thieving a risk vs reward situation instead of a kamakazi no fear situation.

its called balance, and with the crime of stealing, there is no balance. they risk very little of their own, yet risk a whoel lot of another players.

unless, I'm missing something..maybe there is punishment for stealing? if so, please let me know
Oh, fuck off...

Bluwolf

Neophyte

Risk hmmm, you do know the minute a thief steal from anything, mob, player, box hes no longer hidden? 95% of all thieves have no combat skills as well. SO you see were no longer hidden and we get the flag that does not allow us to recall out. I mean how hard is it to kill us? I mean you got to really sux if you cant run down a thief after he steals from you. I mean sheeesh. But please be a dumb ass I count on it. Make sure your afk with that Vanq weapon, because unless your not you should be able to get what ever was stolen right back to you. I mean I wish that after you killed a mob and while you are looting it that is comes back to life and one shots you and you loose everything you just got from the mob that you spent time training all the skills up to defeat it.

monktoast

Expert
I'm just waiting for agreement that thieves have no risk. just because you can't make 150k an hour that means a template should get a free pass?

All the defenses here are invalid since literally any argument which defends criminal behavior is invalid. They are just excuses.

Pking or stealing is risking another players time not just their own. Thus it's a question of justice not a question of how thieves mechanics work. So what if its mostly a useless skull, when it does succeed well, the victim gets no peace of mind that justice is served even if they track the theif down and rez kill them for an hour.

But I a digress, the hypothetical argument I raise has only been noted by Sagan who at least agrees the inconsistency exsists in that pks get punished and thieves do not so either punish thieves or stop punishing pks to remain consistent

Id like to note the hypothetical Claus here because I indeed will make a thief and have no intentions of wanting to nerf myself

Last edited by a moderator:

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
I'm just waiting for agreement that thieves have no risk. just because you can't make 150k an hour that means a template should get a free pass?

All the defenses here are invalid since literally any argument which defends criminal behavior is invalid. They are just excuses.

Nah you're wrong still.

Lol IRL at 'criminal behavior'. That's right officer he STOLE MY MANDRAKE

Lavos

Master
I don't even play my thief anymore, but I still support the playstyle. Part of the reason we play this game is because all of the loot we obtain can be stolen or lost - it sounds weird but it's true. What fun would it be if you could just loot something and never risk losing it?

The game was designed around expendable loot that was meant to be lost through PK or thieves. Because of this risk, you bring guildies with you to protect your shit, you take steps to ensure your items are secure, you FIGHT BACK when someone steals your stuff.

It sounds to me like you are overlooking some fundamental aspects of how UO was designed.

monktoast

Expert
Wtf are you fucking ********? People steal power scrolls and rare items nice way to avoid the concept of the argument.

Fuck this thread if only thieves are gonna answer.

This isn't about how uo works its about how thieves can steal and waste another players efforts and not get punished. They risk nothing. They don't risk time because they are playing a thief the time spent getting guard whacked is part if that.

But what of the person who gets their 800k statue they just bought off a vendor stolen? The thief doesn't pay anything for risking that move they either fail or succeed. There's no punishment for failure.

So what if you die trying you don't have regs resources armor or weapons to lose. Yer all butt naked. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose. What's so fucking hard about understanding that? 2 mins rez time to try and steal a million dollar gold item isn't to bad if say. Sheeeeeesh tards lol

You all have huge reading comprehension issues so fuck this thread

Last edited by a moderator: