Lockpicking and detect hidden questions

Winters

Journeyman
So my first question is, could someone just very briefly put down what i should do for what level to raise lockpicking? I cant seem to find a guide for raising lockipicking. I found the one that has dunggeon chests although Im only at level 50 and I know theres a system to raising it up to like 96 then do dungeon chests.

My second question is, do I really need to have detect hidden to use remove trap? If I am sneaking around dungeons, unlocking chests then instantly using remove trap, theres no need for detect hidden is there? Im just wondering if I am missing something here?

Thanks!

halygon

Grandmaster
So my first question is, could someone just very briefly put down what i should do for what level to raise lockpicking? I cant seem to find a guide for raising lockipicking. I found the one that has dunggeon chests although Im only at level 50 and I know theres a system to raising it up to like 96 then do dungeon chests.

My second question is, do I really need to have detect hidden to use remove trap? If I am sneaking around dungeons, unlocking chests then instantly using remove trap, theres no need for detect hidden is there? Im just wondering if I am missing something here?

Thanks!
To train this skill, it is best if you have wooden boxes that have been crafted by a tinker of varying levels of skill on-hand. You should get some initial training from a Thief Guildmaster and purchase or acquire wooden boxes made by a carpenter with a tinkering skill of 25(if desired to forego NPC training), 50, 75, and GM tinkering skill. From 0-25 skill, use the wooden box made with tinkering skill of 25 or buy initial skill from an NPC. From 25-50 skill, use the wooden box made with tinkering skill of 50. From 50-75 skill, use the wooden box made with tinkering skill of 75, and from 75-95 skill, use the wooden box made with GM tinkering skill.

In your backpack, you will place lockpicks, the wooden box, and the copper key (to the box), and then lock the box, and pick it with lockpicking. Once you reach 95 skill, you will either have to train to GM by opening Lvl 4 (cleverly) treasure chests in dungeons. You can find dungeon chest locations in Lockpicking runebooks at your local rune libraries (mine has one as does most).

Yes, you need detect hidden to use remove trap. Detect hidden + Lockpicking allows you to use remove trap. That said, if you pick dungeon chests and then cast telekenesis (from a distance), it will trip any traps set on the chest without the need of using remove trap. Remove trap is useful if you want to pick and open chests in dungeons without coming out of hiding/stealth.

Winters

Journeyman
I meant to thank you Halyon. I ended up GM'ing everything except remove trap. And remove trap is a pain in the butt to macro! :/ I have an idea how to do it but Im just lazy haha

Toots

Novice
I have 0 detect hidden and GM remove trap. I have no problem using remove trap on lvl 5 dungeon chests. I think detect hidden is only required to be at 50 to train remove trap (along with 50 lock picking) . After I GM'd remove trap, I dropped detect hidden to 0.

halygon

Grandmaster
I have 0 detect hidden and GM remove trap. I have no problem using remove trap on lvl 5 dungeon chests. I think detect hidden is only required to be at 50 to train remove trap (along with 50 lock picking) . After I GM'd remove trap, I dropped detect hidden to 0.
Good info!

Sabine

Apprentice
You can also buy a lock picking set and macro your way to 95. Vendor north of moonglow by the fence sells them.

The Moonglow Mall East + Runelibrary supplies Lockpicking Kits, and also individual Boxes at 50, 70 and 100 tinkering. Simply head out of he east Moonglow gate, then walk N/E a screen and you should see the Mall. It is in guard protection as well, freedom to shop in peace.

Kits sell for 5,000gp each, individual boxes range between 2,000 an 3,000gp.