"Mass" recruiting guilds... daheck!?

akrippler

Neophyte
I use your rune library, I've seen new players getting walked around by you guys. Im sure you boot them if they dont turn out how you thought they were. How is that any different from anyone else? These guilds are looking for a certain type of person. If they arent a team player, active, a troll, involved in group activities etc... they will get kicked, Ive seen it happen. Team oriented guilds attempting to experience the entire game. If the argument is "try to better the server as a whole" then you cannot fault these guilds for attempting to get new players to stick around.

For example, TRIN - Free City of Trinsic, is a tight knight, family oriented guild, who is selective in recruitment. We house mostly casuals, we dabble in all activities, but we don't really focus on any one activity like RDA's, or Champs, or more generically PvP, or PvM, we do a little bit of all of it. We are a light RP guild, our stance is generally on the side of good, we actively help new players, and oppose reds, we look to support and foster a healthy community, with a variety of entities in it. If you are a hardcore player, this guild probably isn't for you. We do everything, but we've defined the type of player we are looking for.

Besides the light RP part you just described 90% of guilds on this server, or at the very least, the exact guilds this thread is talking about.

Last edited:

Xiulan

Master
Neither do we know what values, if there be any, they do stand for, @Young Star (at least I don't). And that does make one wonder...

I'm honestly wondering if you've actually read the ads in question. For example, N's ad includes: "The N Guild is a very tight and friendly community where everybody helps each other! We encourage fair play." SMASH's ad states: "SMASH is now recruiting any mature players looking to compete in all aspects of the game. Must have the following attributes: voice communications; ability to defend/raid; loyalty to SMASH; non-raging; desire to have fun; not afraid to fight to the death."

How can you read that and not get a sense of what their values are?

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
I use your rune library, I've seen new players getting walked around by you guys. Im sure you boot them if they dont turn out how you thought they were. How is that any different from anyone else? These guilds are looking for a certain type of person. If they arent a team player, active, a troll, involved in group activities etc... they will get kicked, Ive seen it happen. Team oriented guilds attempting to experience the entire game.

I can't even remember the last person we booted, and that's precisely because when we recruit, we don't just add someone to a stone, we talk to them, get to know them, find out what they want in a guild, I tell them if I don't believe Trin will be a good fit for them. We go that extra mile to make sure we are the right fit for one another.

If the argument is "try to better the server as a whole" then you cannot fault these guilds for attempting to get new players to stick around.

If they are mass recruiting, and booting players just as fast because they aren't the right fit, then they aren't doing anything to help new players stick around, for every player that might stick around and find a home, they may have run another one off the server.

Besides the light RP part you just described 90% of guilds on this server, or at the very least, the exact guilds this thread is talking about.

90% of the guilds on the server have defined themselves, and likely don't mass recruit, there's only been a small handful of mass recruiting guilds in the last year or so. And even the ones in LFG, aside from the annoyance of seeing two guilds fight over AD space, and rolling everyone else's AD's up the screen, I don't necessarily see them myself as mass recruiters. But the guy who puts a macro looping ever 60 seconds on the top of Brit Bank, beside all the vendor gaters, saying, we are mass recruiting, join, we'll conquer the world.. That's the kind of crap a server really doesn't need.

Edwin Fox

Novice
How can you read that and not get a sense of what their values are?

How? By understanding that every one of the aforementioned values should, in my opinion, already be common sense values of any kind of Guild that presents itself as such in an opengame MMO RPG game. By that I mean to say that such described values are so generic that they could pertain to any other online Guild - it is being requested that recruiters be able to communicate, to do what is expected to be done in a dungeon in a game that involves fighting; that recruits be loyal to their elders and masters.

Is there any Guild in Ultima Online that does not beseech such attributes? Are there any of those aforementioned attributes that make the aforementioned Guilds unique in their values - so as to justify spamming?

It is not my concern whether or not a Guild aims to become something besides The Biggest Army On Middle Earth. But then again, How would one gaze deep into the eyes of the faceless? How could one discern what is unique within a mashed sameness?

Golem

A walking lump of clay arises from its dream
Amusing puzzlingly what is to be itself
Among no other living being with whom to delve
Upon the awakening and sleeping inbetween

Upon the gap on being born and gone asleep
On having ears who meant to hear but none is heard
On having lips shut up, the wordings gone but slurred
Upon a deafen'd crowd of ash and clouden sheep.

Upon the excruciating task of breathing flawed
Of having silt thorough his bulky mass aflow
Alone it can't help but to look at his cold feet

So kindly asking for its Grand Creator, God,
To make it end as it'd begun, a single blow
- abiding once again in dust, forgone and freed

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Pretty sure Trin doesn't require voice comms or participation in PVP...

Not to join the guild, we do require it for some activities, the reality is voice comms just makes life easier, but the majority of our members have families, and we can all be on voice comms 24/7...