Meta Pet and skill question

Spatchel

Master
I read on UO Guide, or some other site, that you don't need >100 taming for the first few levels of the pet. Is this true? Can I get a pet at level 1 with 100 taming and it will stop progressing past 'young dragon' due to my skill not being high enough?

Thanks in advance!

Spatchel

Master
I take it its not smart enough to stop levelling based on my taming skill level. Guess I wont make the investment then.

Thanks

TheFallen

Grandmaster
It doesn't need to be smart enough. You can reset its experience at any time by trading it to another char and then trading back.

Spatchel

Master
Trading will break the bond though, or does that work differently on these pets? Resetting experience, will that only reset it for the current level it is at, or will it drop back to a snake?

Spatchel

Master
Now the question is, is it better to have a meta 'Young Dragon' over a regular Dragon? I would not invest in over 100 taming, so I would keep the dragon in the young status.

Guwap

Grandmaster
Young gets above GM skills. Like previously stated, it's reallllyy worth it with a relic or two though.

TraJik

Grandmaster
It is correct, you do not need to be GM in taming as you start leveling your Meta Pet. You could actually raise your taming while leveling your Meta pet at the same time as many people have done. As your skill increases, your ability to control the meta pet will increase too but this shouldn't be relevant until I believe stage 4 when you need higher taming to control the pet.