Mining Sand AFK Macroing

wil3ur

Grandmaster
Allow the afk macroing for mining sand. It takes 10 seconds between attempt and system message, and the chance for success is miniscule. It's not anything like mining for rock or ore, it's sitting there staring at your screen for an hour to get 8 sand.

halygon

Grandmaster
AFK macroing for resources will never be allowed.

That said, maybe you can change your suggestion to something regarding changing the mining attempt time or so. Those sort of items might get a glance at by the dev-staff - not allow afk resource gathering for sand.

Wizx13

Grandmaster
When I mine for sand i position the windows so i can see the miner while i play the other account or put the miner on a 2nd monitor.

tader

Expert
When I mine for sand i position the windows so i can see the miner while i play the other account or put the miner on a 2nd monitor.
I think I remember Shane statting the unassisted mining even at key board still counts as ark mining. Basically as long as your doing the movement you ok. Just be careful that a thin line and maybe we need clarification again.

halygon

Grandmaster
I think I remember Shane statting the unassisted mining even at key board still counts as ark mining. Basically as long as your doing the movement you ok. Just be careful that a thin line and maybe we need clarification again.
^^ This is accurate. Automating everything down to movement and recalling is not legal. If you are pushing a button and it mines till done, thats fine because it still requires player interaction to go smelt/store the ore/ingots. Plus you still need to move to new mining spots.

UOF allows afk macros for player convenience/assistance, not so that players can have the game played for them.

wil3ur

Grandmaster
So here's my question then, is it OK for me to loop my mining and walk away from the keyboard while the guy sits there for 45 minutes in one spot, not moving, harvesting 8 sand... or do I have to sit there the whole time and watch him only succeed 8 times over 45 minutes? Currently sitting there and watching the guy do absolutely nothing is pretty lame.

Keltonator

Grandmaster
So here's my question then, is it OK for me to loop my mining and walk away from the keyboard while the guy sits there for 45 minutes in one spot, not moving, harvesting 8 sand... or do I have to sit there the whole time and watch him only succeed 8 times over 45 minutes? Currently sitting there and watching the guy do absolutely nothing is pretty lame.
Just throw in a line that has you say "Hello!" Every few minutes, so they'll never know you're gone! :D

wil3ur

Grandmaster
I saw someone doing that the other day out mining. I didn't report it, just chuckled. Too bad ore's so heavy or I'd have cleaned him out with my thief. :p

wil3ur

Grandmaster
If you goto the provisioner/alchemist shop next to WBB you can buy a book on mining sand, and one on glass blowing. From there you can get a glass blowing tube and make glassware out of the sand. Bubbling Flasks, Flasks, Empty Pots for your alchemist, hour glasses, mostly decorative stuff and not a lot of it. I've had it for a few months and made about 80-100k off of selling glassware on my vendor.

wil3ur

Grandmaster
I wish there was more recipes, or possibly parts you could make more stuff using a tinker, etc. As is, it's a very limited list of stuff.

halygon

Grandmaster
Walking away is consider afk resource gathering. Like I said - That is not legal.

wil3ur

Grandmaster
Ok, I misunderstood... I thought that implied having your character walk to different spots, and then recall out. Glad I clarified.

halygon

Grandmaster
Ok, I misunderstood... I thought that implied having your character walk to different spots, and then recall out. Glad I clarified.
Yup, pretty much if you are gathering resources and if a GM contacts you to see if you are there or not. He/She will assume you are afk if you do not respond to them while you are actively gathering resources - this may be even from walking downstairs to get a drink of water - so be careful. If you walk away, just stop resource gathering till you get back.

wil3ur

Grandmaster
I just hop on my beetle, it interrupts the mining and then back off... sand is just so boooooooooooooooooring. :p

Wizx13

Grandmaster
@halygon
So all the scripts on the forums that basically recall to spots in a rune book, mine or lumberjack till nothing is left at spot return home to drop materials when full are all illegal even if I'm sitting there watching the script run?
The one for lumberjack pauses so you can either kill the snake or run away. The miner one just recalls thru rune books and drops off stuff back at your house when over weight, however you do still have to defend against monsters while the script is running.
Is this in the same boat as the no automation during pvp rule that is there and never really enforced?
I'm confused as these scripts are available on the UOF forums.

halygon

Grandmaster
@halygon
So all the scripts on the forums that basically recall to spots in a rune book, mine or lumberjack till nothing is left at spot return home to drop materials when full are all illegal even if I'm sitting there watching the script run?
The one for lumberjack pauses so you can either kill the snake or run away. The miner one just recalls thru rune books and drops off stuff back at your house when over weight, however you do still have to defend against monsters while the script is running.
Is this in the same boat as the no automation during pvp rule that is there and never really enforced?
I'm confused as these scripts are available on the UOF forums.
First I'd like to remind you that this thread is over a year old since the last post and many things have happened since then - including rule changes regarding automation.

Second, the most recent conversation we had about this in staff chat is that as long as you are watching the screen and can respond when a GM checks to see if you are afk or not, then you good regardless what your macro is doing (outside of pvp).

Wizx13

Grandmaster
First I'd like to remind you that this thread is over a year old since the last post and many things have happened since then - including rule changes regarding automation.

Second, the most recent conversation we had about this in staff chat is that as long as you are watching the screen and can respond when a GM checks to see if you are afk or not, then you good regardless what your macro is doing (outside of pvp).
Thanks for the clarifications! I love my semi auto scripts lol.