New Computer - Issues Downloading UO

Amelee

Neophyte
Hi yall,

HELP HELP HELP

I purchased a new Toshiba computer yesterday. It has Windows 8. I had no problems downloading Razor, and the .net is somehow already installed.....I'm assuming it came with the computer. Anyway...My questions is this. How come I cannot get UO to open on this computer? I put the server and port into razor, still no luck. Then I decided to open Razor just to see what happens. Razor, says: Razor was unable to locate and load a suitable UO Cliloc File. Some text may not be displayed. Then I hit OK....the next screen that pops up says: Unable to locate the client specified. (Error: Unknown_ERROR Two D:"null".

I have no clue whats going on. I am in no way computer savvy, especially when it comes to errors and Stuff like that. Can someone PLEASE help me out here. There is nothing at all on this computer except the 5 times I tried to dl UO, which were all failures. ALSO - When installing UO, do I click SAVE or RUN? On my old laptop ( the t-rex that is nearly 7 years old.... I had no problems and am able to run around the game lag free!

Obviously this is an operator error, meaning I am doing something wrong that is probably and easy fix, I just can't figure it out. Can someone PLEASE help me out to figure out what I'm doing wrong... Or better yet, since, the main screen looks similar to my windows tablet, I wonder if that's the problem (Im just guessing). I told the guy at Best Buy this primarily be used to play games on, The funny thing is my t-rex computer isn't even made anymore... It only has a 4 gb memory and I think a 200 or 250 gb HD lol.

Should I sizable my virus protection? I have Webroot -which had to be installed by disc, and of course, Norton came with it as well.

Sorry for this long post, I just want to play on my new, faster snd better computer. Any help/suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Amelee :)

jwilkinson84

Apprentice
After downloading the client you can choose to ether to run as or save. I would choose save just in case you need to do a re-install.

Do the following in "desktop" mode and not in the Metro (The screen with the tiles on it).

1) Right click the Ultima online client and select properties.

2) Choose the Compatibility tab and change the following:
View attachment 5450

For Windows 8 ether choose Windows XP SP 3 or Windows 7 for “Run this program in compatibility mode for”

*Do this step for razor as well

Uninstall UO and turn the UAC (User Account Controls) all the way down for the install if things are still not working.

1) Go to the Search Charm and type “Change User Account Settings”
2) In the console, change the settings to “Never notify”

It's up to you if you want it on all the time or not.

Let me know if this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

jwilkinson84

Apprentice
Also for the "razor unable to locate and load a suitable uo cliloc file" Run razor as Administrator and try to point the UO Data Directory to where Razor is installed on your computer. For example this is my Razor settings:

View attachment 5451

You might need to run a repair on Razor or do a uninstall/re-install of the razor client

Amelee

Neophyte
So far, no go. I do not even see the box in your screenshot. I have probably8uo clients downloaded! I am still getting the same messages when I try to open razor :( I may call tech support since the computer is only about6 days old!!! Maybe there is something wrong internally,,,, idk :( In the meantime. Im going to keep using this computer bc uo does run pretty fast on it. If you can think of anything else that may fix the problem, please let me know, But thanks for your help anyway!

jwilkinson84

Apprentice
So far, no go. I do not even see the box in your screenshot. I have probably8uo clients downloaded! I am still getting the same messages when I try to open razor :( I may call tech support since the computer is only about6 days old!!! Maybe there is something wrong internally,,,, idk :( In the meantime. Im going to keep using this computer bc uo does run pretty fast on it. If you can think of anything else that may fix the problem, please let me know, But thanks for your help anyway!

Have you tired to uninstall Razor? I would drop the UAC down first then do the re-install.

I also found this: http://www.spokland.com/UltimaOnline/Razor/

Amelee

Neophyte
I will try all that you suggested after dinner. In making crawfish bisque so its gonna be about an hour or 2. I didn't unintall razor. Maybe that will do the trick. Thanks for your help. I will let you know what happens and/or if it works. Yourkindness and patience is appreciated!!

jwilkinson84

Apprentice
I will try all that you suggested after dinner. In making crawfish bisque so its gonna be about an hour or 2. I didn't unintall razor. Maybe that will do the trick. Thanks for your help. I will let you know what happens and/or if it works. Yourkindness and patience is appreciated!!

Oww that sounds really good! You're very welcome I had this same issue, but not nearly as much trouble. We will get this figured out and back on UOF on your new laptop.

You might want to disable Norton while doing the re-install of razor. I have seen a few posts of people recommending this.

Amelee

Neophyte
OK, I believe I deleted everything and am trying to start from scratch. I downloaded from the "download and play" I clicked the section stating I did not have another uo client on my computer. It DID download, but rather than sending me to another screen, it opened up a "blank page"...it was entitled that and there was nothing on it. I could not find where razor downloaded, so I don't mind downloading that, but I was thinking about opening Firefox (which is what I did on my other computer with NO problem at all). I did dl the RAR file. On the UO dl, I clicked to open, the save, which made another copy. Anyway, What do I do with the "blank page that popped up?" Any suggestions on where to dl razor from, I mean is Internet Explorer more reliable than Firefox? I'm just soo frustrated at this point..... I want to take my rl AK, nail the computer to the target in my backyard and unload on it lol....lol, yea..... but I'm serious. If it wouldn't n for the $$ I paid for this computer, trust me, I'd do it! Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

And jwilkinson84, I owe you big time for putting up with my crazy questions and rants! If I get this working on this computer, I was thinking about some dono coins for your continued patients with me and your help. IDk what else you might need but if we can get this working, IOU bigtime I have a scribe that I can hook u up with unlimited scrolls, etc., but as for the dono coins..we can discuss that privately.

Annyway, thanks again for listening and for our help!

Amelee

Amelee

Neophyte
Again, you are a wealth of information. I'm going to play for a bit on the dinosaur computer to get my frustrations out lol. but ty ty ty.Your info and help is greatly appreciated as always!

*hugs*
Amelee

jwilkinson84

Apprentice
Again, you are a wealth of information. I'm going to play for a bit on the dinosaur computer to get my frustrations out lol. but ty ty ty.Your info and help is greatly appreciated as always!

*hugs*
Amelee

You're very welcome. Keep me posted if anything else weird comes up.

Amelee

Neophyte
OK, I believe I deleted everything and am trying to start from scratch. I downloaded from the "download and play" I clicked the section stating I did not have another uo client on my computer. It DID download, but rather than sending me to another screen, it opened up a "blank page"...it was entitled that and there was nothing on it. I could not find where razor downloaded, so I don't mind downloading that, but I was thinking about opening Firefox (which is what I did on my other computer with NO problem at all). I did dl the RAR file. On the UO dl, I clicked to open, the save, which made another copy. Anyway, What do I do with the "blank page that popped up?" Any suggestions on where to dl razor from, I mean is Internet Explorer more reliable than Firefox? I'm just soo frustrated at this point..... I want to take my rl AK, nail the computer to the target in my backyard and unload on it lol....lol, yea..... but I'm serious. If it wouldn't n for the $$ I paid for this computer, trust me, I'd do it! Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

And jwilkinson84, I owe you big time for putting up with my crazy questions and rants! If I get this working on this computer, I was thinking about some dono coins for your continued patients with me and your help. IDk what else you might need but if we can get this working, IOU bigtime I have a scribe that I can hook u up with unlimited scrolls, etc., but as for the dono coins..we can discuss that privately.

Annyway, thanks again for listening and for our help!

Amelee

Amelee

Neophyte
I actually brought the new computer to my son and he got it to work for me. The problem was Norton antivirus was keeping it from un zipping the files. I guess Norton came with it as a free trial bc i got webroot and it didn't give my son any problems after he disabled Norton.

I knew it had ti be something crazy like that bc my other compute, they don't even make anymore and everything downloaded fast and east. This one is super fast and brand new
I appreciate all of your help and suggestions. My son plays uo as well and he was like mom, that's be that razor won't open lol. But i just got it done so after dinner i will be playing on the new one!

Thanks again! You're awesome!

jwilkinson84

Apprentice
I actually brought the new computer to my son and he got it to work for me. The problem was Norton antivirus was keeping it from un zipping the files. I guess Norton came with it as a free trial bc i got webroot and it didn't give my son any problems after he disabled Norton.

I knew it had ti be something crazy like that bc my other compute, they don't even make anymore and everything downloaded fast and east. This one is super fast and brand new
I appreciate all of your help and suggestions. My son plays uo as well and he was like mom, that's be that razor won't open lol. But i just got it done so after dinner i will be playing on the new one!

Thanks again! You're awesome!

Glad to heae you got it working. I was pretty sure it was Norton or the UAC blocking it from installing properly.

Amelee

Neophyte
I was ready to bring the computer back lol. In just glad its fixed now. The only problem id razor isn't showing the regs....it shows the counter but not what it is lol. I can't complain tho...at least its working!